Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92

Thread: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

  1. #21
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Defends Criticism of Cambridge Police in Arrest of Gates

    Quote Originally Posted by metreon View Post
    It seems a bit of a stretch to arrest someone for disorderly conduct in their own home when that person exercises a legal right to verify the badge number of the police officer. Even if Gates was "uppity" about it, there is no law against being a jerk, since that right is protected by the 1st Amendment, especially in the privacy of one's own home.

    The presented facts are that when Gates let the police into his home, he did show them a couple of ID cards, license and Harvard ID (he lives in a Harvard house). Case closed. Unless there was a physical assault by Gates there would have been zero reason to arrest him. The case was fully dropped because it had no legal basis to proceed. That is the fact of the matter. Therefore the police officer acted stupidly, by definition, since he had no just cause for arrest.
    One must side with the Race Baiter in chief I suppose...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #22
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think both sides of this thing, the police and the person arrested are at fault, but I am not happy at Obama weighing in on this. I think it is both unnecessary and not entirely Obama's fault necessarily.

    If one of Obama's advisers told him to weigh in on this, they should be fired.

    If this was Obama's own doing, then not only do I have to say Obama was wrong, but you should fire whatever adviser told him that it was ok to say it.

    Obama still takes the blame no matter what, but if someone said he should weigh in on it, they should be fired.
    Why?

    We need a President that will actually stand up and call police out on this type of thing. What is wrong is wrong and the police in this case were clearly in the wrong.

    Until someone has the guts to stand up and confront the arrogance of police officers who think that they are above the law and above criticism, then we will never progress as a country.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #23
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Funny how the libertarians and the libertarian wing of the GOP are so silent about a guy who gets arrested in his own house. Oh forgot, they can use this to play the race card to stir up the inbreds down in Appalachia.
    Gates was not arrested in his own house.

    He wouldn't have been arrested at all, in fact, if he'd had the good sense to stay in the house.

    He decided to follow Sgt Crowley outside, yelling and screaming and carrying on. The Oscar nominations are still a ways off, so Crowley gave him a nice set of matching bracelets as a consolation prize.

    Even libertarians know you don't follow cops around shouting at them if you don't want to wind up in the back of a squad car.

  4. #24
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Gates was not arrested in his own house.

    He wouldn't have been arrested at all, in fact, if he'd had the good sense to stay in the house.

    He decided to follow Sgt Crowley outside, yelling and screaming and carrying on. The Oscar nominations are still a ways off, so Crowley gave him a nice set of matching bracelets as a consolation prize.

    Even libertarians know you don't follow cops around shouting at them if you don't want to wind up in the back of a squad car.

    The man was falsely accused and treated poorly by the police, he had every right to be angry and every right to speak out.

    The "crime" that he commited here was nothing more than "contempt of cop".
    The cop should have simply admitted his mistake and walked away. Instead his ego got the best of him and he asked the man to step outside simply for the purpose of arresting him.

    Bad cops should never be supported....it only encourages more bad cop behavior...and diminishes the service of the good officers that serve our communities daily.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #25
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why?

    We need a President that will actually stand up and call police out on this type of thing. What is wrong is wrong and the police in this case were clearly in the wrong.

    Until someone has the guts to stand up and confront the arrogance of police officers who think that they are above the law and above criticism, then we will never progress as a country.
    How was Crowley in the wrong?

    Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

    Should Crowley have not investigated the report of a break-in at Gates' home?

    Should Crowley have not ascertained Gates' identity to confirm he did, in fact, live there?

    Crowley did not do anything wrong that I can see. The one in the wrong was Gates, who couldn't keep his foot out of his mouth.

  6. #26
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The man was falsely accused and treated poorly by the police, he had every right to be angry and every right to speak out.

    The "crime" that he commited here was nothing more than "contempt of cop".
    The cop should have simply admitted his mistake and walked away. Instead his ego got the best of him and he asked the man to step outside simply for the purpose of arresting him.

    Bad cops should never be supported....it only encourages more bad cop behavior...and diminishes the service of the good officers that serve our communities daily.
    Nothing was stopping him from filing a complaint with the police department. That would have been the correct way to deal with the officer if he felt he was being treated poorly. Gates is a loud-mouthed crybaby.

  7. #27
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    How was Crowley in the wrong?

    Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

    Should Crowley have not investigated the report of a break-in at Gates' home?

    Should Crowley have not ascertained Gates' identity to confirm he did, in fact, live there?

    Crowley did not do anything wrong that I can see. The one in the wrong was Gates, who couldn't keep his foot out of his mouth.

    He should have investigated and left.

    You post the police report...you don't think that it was altered at all to put the best possible spin on it that Crowley could?

    The man should have left...instead he continued to escalate the situation, called the man to step outside and then instead of being a professional officer and leaving (as no crime had been committed), his arrogance wouldn't allow him to do so. He had to arrest the man for having the gall to speak angrily towards him, i.e., Contempt of cop. Thank God the DA saw this case for what it was. The man should be sanctioned and should be forced to undergo some additional training.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #28
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The man was falsely accused and treated poorly by the police, he had every right to be angry and every right to speak out.
    Gates wasn't "accused" of anything.

    There was a report of a break-in at Gates' residence. Crowley was investigating that report. Of course he's going to verify Gates' ID. How else is he supposed to verify that the person he sees in the house is, in fact, the owner of the house?

    There was no accusation, and certainly not by the police. They were investigating a report of a break-in. I'm no fan of police, but everything that I have read indicates Crowley did not do anything that wasn't appropriate to investigating a break-in.

  9. #29
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by hiswoman View Post
    Nothing was stopping him from filing a complaint with the police department. That would have been the correct way to deal with the officer if he felt he was being treated poorly. Gates is a loud-mouthed crybaby.
    May be true...but its not a crime. And the cop should have had the professionalism to know that. Unfortunately, there are those in our community that believe that people should just "shut up" and take it when cops engage in abusive behavior. We are taught to cower in submission to their unlimited authority. Until they are placed in check, this pattern will continue.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #30
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Obama Surprised by Controversy Over Remark About Arrest of Black Scholar

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Gates wasn't "accused" of anything.

    There was a report of a break-in at Gates' residence. Crowley was investigating that report. Of course he's going to verify Gates' ID. How else is he supposed to verify that the person he sees in the house is, in fact, the owner of the house?

    There was no accusation, and certainly not by the police. They were investigating a report of a break-in. I'm no fan of police, but everything that I have read indicates Crowley did not do anything that wasn't appropriate to investigating a break-in.

    Oh please. Are you naive enough to believe that he wasn't immediately treated as a suspect/accused? Maybe so. Maybe you've never had run ins with the police. The behavior is ALWAYS accuse first ask questions later.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •