Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

  1. #1
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    The AP adds, “In a letter to the president, four senior House members said they were ’surprised’ and ‘chagrined’ by Obama’s statement in June accompanying a war spending bill that he would ignore restrictions placed on aid provided to the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.”

    Good to see some Democrats are waking up to the fact that him and Bush are one in the same.

    Raw Story Democrats scold Obama on signing statements
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Hahahaha....hope and change. I love how he's basically doing everything that Bush was doing.

    Ok, actually I don't love it because I really did want to better the government. It's just that this is really just a big "I told you so" before he was elected. Anyone who thought Obama was anything other than standard Chicago politician and of the same cloth as Bush was a fool.
    Last edited by Ikari; 07-22-09 at 12:54 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #3
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Good to see some Democrats are waking up to the fact that him and Bush are one in the same.

    Raw Story Democrats scold Obama on signing statements
    I disagree that Bush and Obama are one in the same. However, I am happy that these Democrats are applying this complaint to their own party. That's the way it should be.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    I sense MANY Democrats can't wait for the opportunity to bury Obama. They resent his rock-star fame and his razor-thin resume. Now that the tide is turning on Obama, perhaps they will turn on him, too.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I sense MANY Democrats can't wait for the opportunity to bury Obama. They resent his rock-star fame and his razor-thin resume. Now that the tide is turning on Obama, perhaps they will turn on him, too.
    They don't resent his fame so much as they enjoy their own perquisites.

    Carter tried to dictate to Congress and got his head handed to him.

    Clinton tried to muscle healthcare through Congress and got his head handed to him.

    Johnson did muscle Medicare through Congress--but he'd been on Capitol Hill since before WWII, he knew where all the bodies were buried, and he knew whose arm to twist and whose palm to grease.

    Dear Leader wants to evoke memories of Lyndon Johnson. I'm just waiting for the politician to chime in with "I knew Lyndon Johnson. I served with Lyndon Johnson. Lyndon Johnson was a friend of mine. Dear Leader, you are no Lyndon Johnson."

  6. #6
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    They don't resent his fame so much as they enjoy their own perquisites.

    Carter tried to dictate to Congress and got his head handed to him.

    Clinton tried to muscle healthcare through Congress and got his head handed to him.

    Johnson did muscle Medicare through Congress--but he'd been on Capitol Hill since before WWII, he knew where all the bodies were buried, and he knew whose arm to twist and whose palm to grease.

    Dear Leader wants to evoke memories of Lyndon Johnson. I'm just waiting for the politician to chime in with "I knew Lyndon Johnson. I served with Lyndon Johnson. Lyndon Johnson was a friend of mine. Dear Leader, you are no Lyndon Johnson."
    Excellent points. Most of the Democrats didn't even know who Obama was five years ago, and now he's instantly the face of liberalism. You know they hate that.

  7. #7
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Good to see some Democrats are waking up to the fact that him and Bush are one in the same.

    Raw Story Democrats scold Obama on signing statements
    Because he made a signing statement Obama is the same as Bush? Doesn't every president use signing statements? The problem with Bush was he used them all the time and essentially negated every document he signed.

  8. #8
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Because he made a signing statement Obama is the same as Bush? Doesn't every president use signing statements? The problem with Bush was he used them all the time and essentially negated every document he signed.
    In reaction to Bush's abuse of signing statements (which I think are clearly unconstitutional in any circumstance - but that's another thread), Obama said this

    "I will issue signing statements to address constitutional concerns only when it is appropriate to do so as a means of discharging my constitutional responsibilities," the president pledged.
    According to AP

    Obama's signing statement said he wouldn't allow provisions regarding international financial institutions to interfere with his ability to conduct foreign diplomacy.
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, but I am troubled that Obama is employing this questionable tool, and given his record on transparency his usage should be closely watched

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Now that the tide is turning on Obama, perhaps they will turn on him, too.
    Not really, why would the Dems turn on Obama just to get a Republican president that will veto everything they do?

  10. #10
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Not really, why would the Dems turn on Obama just to get a Republican president that will veto everything they do?
    Erod is stating what he wishes would happen.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •