Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote:Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    I want to address this one in particular; Bush's spending dealing with 9-11, two wars which were authorized by vast bi-partisan majorities and Hurricane Katrina which devastated a major US city pale in comparison to Obama's unilateral passed (nothing in this administration can be considered bi-partisan) "stimulus" spending us into a $1.8 trillion deficit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    All of which was as incompetently handled, inefficiently handled, and spent as much money as possible. An occupational war which we are still not out of, huge increases in government power including spying and warrantless searches, not to mention horrible legislation such as The Real ID Act. An increase in executive order and signing statements which basically comes down to legislature through the executive. Yup...Bush sucks, Obama sucks; and the government is spinning out of control.
    Once again, this is another vast "because you say so's." Have you ever "run" anything in your short life? Do you actually and naively believe that any organization in the history of man runs mistake free and with total competence? Do you inhabit the same universe that the rest of us inhabit?

    The notion that you can makes such farcical claims in a vacuum of the realities and facts suggests that you have no need for facts or reality.

    Before you jump on the Bushbot bandwagon, I am not defending Bush; he's a big boy and can do that himself, but I am fascinated by your fantastical perceptions of the REAL world and how things ACTUALLY work.

    The world according to Ikari just does not exist; get over it already.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Nothing is perfect, so I should accept horrible expansions of government, abuse of power, and mishandling of huge natural disasters huh? Things which aggregated over each other have cost huge amounts of money, manpower, and lives? Really? That's your argument? As good as you can do huh, basically the Rumsfeld excuse? "This is hard, we know what we are doing, trust that we know what we are doing". Your blanket Bush defending and horrible partisanship is showing. That's about the most pathetic excuse I've heard for government treason and tyranny in quite some time. Well no one's perfect. HA
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    First off learn how to use the quote feature, it isn't that hard.

    Secondly, yes, you have basically come in here and tried (and failed) to try and excuse Bush's out of control spending and increasing the size of the government.
    Another pile of nonsensical bile from you; but alas, dealing with facts and what someone is actually arguing has never been your forte' has it Era?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    None of which excuses increasing government size, and the spending and mismanagment that Bush has done.

    Apologies for attacking the methods of your God Bush.

    As Ikari said, Bush's spending sucked and was wrong, and I think Obama is spending way to much is wrong.

    Obama's spending DOES NOT excuse Bush's spending as you would like us to believe.

    Carry on
    I have highlighted the typical hyperbolic BS rhetoric you spew here to illustrate why most of what you state is farcical at best lacking in facts and is merely your own biased personal opinions and nothing related to reality; consider it a favor to you in order to illustrate your hypocrisy and lack of credible debate skills.

    Here's a clue for you; Bush is no longer in charge, Obama is.

    Carry on.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Here's a clue for you; Bush is no longer in charge, Obama is.

    Carry on.
    And yet you continue to excuse Bush's actions . Here's a hint for you and is FACT, Obama's spending DOES NOT excuse Bush's. When you learn that fact, come back here.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    The only bipartisan effort we've seen in Obama's presidency is the objection to his healthcare plan.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nothing is perfect, so I should accept horrible expansions of government, abuse of power, and mishandling of huge natural disasters huh?
    Once more we are dealing with YOUR perceptions in a vacuum of facts and the historic record.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Things which aggregated over each other have cost huge amounts of money, manpower, and lives?
    This is just more of your typical hyperbolic rhetoric in a vacuum of facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's your argument?
    The notion that you could comprehend what my arguments are would require the willing suspension of disbelief.

    My arguments are pretty clear; when we remove the hyperbolic bile you spew and your naive notions about REALITY, Bush was not as bad as you would like to believe. But in basically short order, Obama has been everything that I expected him to be; an irresponsible big spending Liberal who wants to make the American people dependents on Government largess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As good as you can do huh, basically the Rumsfeld excuse? "This is hard, we know what we are doing, trust that we know what we are doing". Your blanket Bush defending and horrible partisanship is showing. That's about the most pathetic excuse I've heard for government treason and tyranny in quite some time. Well no one's perfect. HA
    I rest my case above; your trite and absurd assertions that my arguments are a blanket defense of Bush are more telling about your absurd notions about reality and lack of any credible facts.

    What I find most amusing is your simplistic political notions that you are above the fray by claiming NO allegiance to any party as making you somehow less “partisan.” But being a partisan for foolishness, naiveté' and your obvious immaturity about how things REALLY work hardly places you above the perceptions you have about what it is to be "partisan."

    Carry on.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yep Bush was an angel and Obama is the Devil. Obama's spending excuses Bush's spending.
    The sad thing is people use Bush's outrageous spending to excuse/justify Dear Leader's more outrageous spending.

    It's the Joe Biden school of economic thought: we have to spend money we don't have to keep from going bankrupt.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And yet you continue to excuse Bush's actions . Here's a hint for you and is FACT, Obama's spending DOES NOT excuse Bush's. When you learn that fact, come back here.
    Nothing in my comments "excuses" Bush for anything. In fact, I hardly see why Bush's Presidency would need "excusing." You see, I deal with the REAL world and REAL facts; not my personal biases and perceptions which would lead me to blather this forum with uninformed hyperbolic nonsense.

    The notion that you can lecture ANYONE about "facts" is laughable.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    The sad thing is people use Bush's outrageous spending to excuse/justify Dear Leader's more outrageous spending.
    I guess this argument depends on what you believe is "outrageous."

    Was it outrageous to spend billions dealing with 9-11? Was it outrageous to spend billions to fight two wars which had BI-PARTISAN support? Was it outrageous to spend billions for the re-building and victims of Hurricane Katrina? Was it outrageous to spend billions creating the Homeland Security bureacracy in the aftermath of 9-11?

    I guess you can claim it was outrageous to spend billions on the Medicare drug reform act, but millions of seasoned citizens might beg to disagree.

    My argument here is that it is easy to claim Bush's spending was somehow "outrageous" depending on your personal opinions and definitions of what is considered outrageous, but when we look at the REALITIES, it is hard to find serious fault with Bush's spending.

    While we agree on many things, I still find this statement that Bush's spending was outrageous to be without merit compared with historic spending and the facts surrounding that spending.

  10. #30
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Democrats scold Obama on signing statements

    they are both doing their jobs ... it's the 'check and balance' at work

    per the Op's cite, Obama has staked out his position on the limitation on signing statements:
    Obama also assailed Bush on the issue during the presidential campaign.

    In March, he vowed not to use signing statements to disregard parts of laws because he disagrees on policy grounds, but only when he strongly believes provisions are unconstitutional. “There is no doubt that the practice of issuing such statements can be abused. Constitutional signing statements should not be used to suggest that the president will disregard statutory requirements on the basis of policy disagreements,” wrote Obama.

    But he has issued a series of signing statements since, though not nearly as many as Bush.
    he made his (signing) move and congress has now put him in check
    let's now move this to the judiciary so that it can split the baby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •