Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

  1. #1
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Link

    Citing an argument used by the Bush administration, the Secret Service rejects a request from a watchdog group to list those who have visited the White House to discuss the healthcare overhaul.
    By Peter Nicholas

    July 22, 2009

    Reporting from Washington Invoking an argument used by President George W. Bush, the Obama administration has turned down a request from a watchdog group for a list of health industry executives who have visited the White House to discuss the massive healthcare overhaul.

    Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington sent a letter to the Secret Service asking about visits from 18 executives representing health insurers, drug makers, doctors and other players in the debate. The group wants the material in order to gauge the influence of those executives in crafting a new healthcare policy.

    The Secret Service sent a reply stating that documents revealing the frequency of such visits were considered presidential records exempt from public disclosure laws. The agency also said it was advised by the Justice Department that the Secret Service was within its rights to withhold the information because of the "presidential communications privilege."

    Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics said it would file suit against the Obama administration as early as today. The group already has sued the administration over its failure to release details about visits from coal industry executives.

    A White House spokesman, Ben LaBolt, said, "We are reviewing our policy on access to visitor logs and related litigation."

    As a candidate, President Obama vowed that in devising a healthcare bill he would invite in TV cameras -- specifically C-SPAN -- so that Americans could have a window into negotiations that normally play out behind closed doors.
    Looks like Obama isn't as open as he claimed he would be. Remember the hubbub over Cheney and the energy execs? I want to here from liberals on this policy.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #2
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Once upon a time, Bush was hated by the Democrats. Today, the Democrats are copying Bush.

    Invoking an argument used by President George W. Bush, the Obama administration has turned down a request from a watchdog group for a list of health industry executives who have visited the White House to discuss the massive healthcare overhaul.
    Let me give you a little timeline here:

    1) 2007 - Bush keeps White House logs secret. Democrats scream for open government.

    2) 2008 - Obama is elected president.

    3) 2009 - Obama keeps White House logs secret. You now hear crickets from the Democrats.

    I have just one question - Just who the hell do they think they are? They are accountable to We the People. Bush's party lost an election because of arrogance. It is now time for Democrats to lose because of their own arrogance, not to mention their shameful hypocricy. What's good for the old hypocrite is damn well good for the new hypocrite.

    As far as I am concerned, heads need to roll once more, and this time, not Republican heads.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    07-22-09 @ 05:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Once upon a time, Bush was hated by the Democrats. Today, the Democrats are copying Bush.

    Let me give you a little timeline here:

    1) 2007 - Bush keeps White House logs secret. Democrats scream for open government.

    2) 2008 - Obama is elected president.

    3) 2009 - Obama keeps White House logs secret. You now hear crickets from the Democrats.

    I have just one question - Just who the hell do they think they are? They are accountable to We the People. Bush's party lost an election because of arrogance. It is now time for Democrats to lose because of their own arrogance, not to mention their shameful hypocricy. What's good for the old hypocrite is damn well good for the new hypocrite.

    As far as I am concerned, heads need to roll once more, and this time, not Republican heads.

    Article is here.
    This is exactly why his experience was questioned, and why he should not have run for president- because he had no idea what kind of politics are played at that level. Furthermore, since he did run, he should have approached his platform with a little more humility. He basically set himself up to prove himself a hypocrite. He said he would bring our troops home- now he realizes what that would entail, and hasn't. He explicitly stated that he would not engage in using his signature powers to legislate from his office- which he now realizes he has to do to get his way, and does it. He stated that he would bring a new level of transparency to government, which he now realizes he can't do- and hasn't. He was basically a newbie who thought he could come swooping in and change the politicing of old, which he can't and doesn't do. Newsflash everybody! "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
    Make no mistake folks- while many government officials would have you foaming at the mouth over oil executives and insurance executives- these same officials are the most elitist pigs out there, and they think we are stupid sheep.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    I fail to see why this is a big deal, other than the double standard involved.

    If someone came up to my door and asked me for a list of people who had visited my house in the past week, I would laugh in his face and slam the door. Why should it be any different with elected officials? They should be treated like ordinary citizens, not more not less.

  5. #5
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I fail to see why this is a big deal, other than the double standard involved.

    If someone came up to my door and asked me for a list of people who had visited my house in the past week, I would laugh in his face and slam the door. Why should it be any different with elected officials? They should be treated like ordinary citizens, not more not less.
    You are incorrect, IMO.

    Politicians should not be treated like ordinary citizens, because they have power over ordinary citizens.

    With that power, comes abuse of said power, and thus we require checks to prevent abuse of power.

    They don't always work, so they need to be strengthened.

    Example:

    An ordinary citizen causes few issues except to themselves if he/she mis-manages their budget.

    A politician can cause mass issue on a national scale if they, with others, mis-manage the national budget. This applies to any lvl of government.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #6
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    You are incorrect, IMO.

    Politicians should not be treated like ordinary citizens, because they have power over ordinary citizens.

    With that power, comes abuse of said power, and thus we require checks to prevent abuse of power.

    They don't always work, so they need to be strengthened.

    Example:

    An ordinary citizen causes few issues except to themselves if he/she mis-manages their budget.

    A politician can cause mass issue on a national scale if they, with others, mis-manage the national budget. This applies to any lvl of government.
    ^
    Give this man a cigar. He nailed this issue, right on the head.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #7
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    He is a hypocrite who has promised the world and can't even deliver the dirt.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Hmmm are we starting to see a pattern here folks won't release Long Form Birth Cert., won't release Abuse Photo's, and now once again won't release names on White House Guest List.

    So my question for all of you who voted for him what happen to the slogan This will be the Most Transparent White House in History.

    Seems to me this White House is far from the slogan now.

  9. #9
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Hmmm are we starting to see a pattern here folks won't release Long Form Birth Cert., won't release Abuse Photo's, and now once again won't release names on White House Guest List.

    So my question for all of you who voted for him what happen to the slogan This will be the Most Transparent White House in History.

    Seems to me this White House is far from the slogan now.
    You are wrong on that. Obama is VERY transparent. I could see right through him, which is one of the reasons I didn't vote for him. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #10
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: White House declines to disclose visits by health industry executives

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Hmmm are we starting to see a pattern here folks won't release Long Form Birth Cert., won't release Abuse Photo's, and now once again won't release names on White House Guest List.

    So my question for all of you who voted for him what happen to the slogan This will be the Most Transparent White House in History.

    Seems to me this White House is far from the slogan now.
    As Obama pointed out at his press conference, there were photo ops at each of these meetings, they were not held in secret. But that won't stop you from fabricating conspiracy theories, will it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •