Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

  1. #1
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    More voters trust the Conservatives than Labour on public spending, according to a poll that severely undermines Gordon Brown’s election plans.

    The exclusive Populus poll for The Times shows that four in five voters believe that significant cuts in public spending are inevitable after the next election, regardless of who wins.

    People have also become more pessimistic over the past few weeks about the economic outlook.

    The poll suggests that Labour is heading for certain defeat to the Tories in the by-election in Norwich North on Thursday. Nationally, the Conservatives are on 38 per cent, up two points since June 9-10. Labour is on 26 per cent, up two points. If these trends are repeated locally, the Tories should win easily.
    Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending - Times Online

    Not surprising i guess.
    Any predictions for the by election this week?


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Conservative Part of California
    Last Seen
    04-12-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    285

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Tories will win, just depends on how much they win.

  3. #3
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending - Times Online

    Not surprising i guess.
    Any predictions for the by election this week?
    Maybe they do not want to end up like the US with a ****load of debt.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #4
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Metternich View Post
    Tories will win, just depends on how much they win.
    I agree.
    It is inevitable, no matter what.

    The real question is how big will their majority be.
    Major type majority or Blair? If Blair, Cameron is in for a good ride.


  5. #5
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Maybe they do not want to end up like the US with a ****load of debt.
    Yeah, I have to say. Looking at your debt numbers has made ours seem insignificant.


  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Problem is .. you do not, I repeat, do NOT cut spending during a rescission..

    So the people might want a change in government (and I dont blame em) but in the end, the Tories will end up in government and have no plan because all their economic ideology during the last decade.

    They can cut spending, but even they know that this is stupid in an economy that is in the toilet because no one is spending... Plus where to cut.....

    They can also not turn to the private sector.. because it was the private sector, with the banks at the front that got us into this mess. All labour has to do if the Tories attempt this, is to remind people.. RBS!! or whatever bank with a phawt bonus check..

    The Tories are basically as screwed as Labour and any other "conservative" political party through out the world. The last decade+ has driven so many holes through classic conservative economic theory that it looks like swiss cheese.
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Maybe they do not want to end up like the US with a ****load of debt.
    Not that big a difference between the 2 countries. Both are heading to 80% of GDP in debt, which is higher than places like France and Germany. Of course it is no where near the right wing haven of Europe.. Italy..
    PeteEU

  8. #8
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Problem is .. you do not, I repeat, do NOT cut spending during a rescission..

    So the people might want a change in government (and I dont blame em) but in the end, the Tories will end up in government and have no plan because all their economic ideology during the last decade.

    They can cut spending, but even they know that this is stupid in an economy that is in the toilet because no one is spending... Plus where to cut.....

    They can also not turn to the private sector.. because it was the private sector, with the banks at the front that got us into this mess. All labour has to do if the Tories attempt this, is to remind people.. RBS!! or whatever bank with a phawt bonus check..

    The Tories are basically as screwed as Labour and any other "conservative" political party through out the world. The last decade+ has driven so many holes through classic conservative economic theory that it looks like swiss cheese.
    Agreed, its the torries deregulation fettish that got us into this mess in the first place, but people are just going to vote for them because they,re not Labour or because "David Cameron looks good"

  9. #9
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,754

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Agreed, its the torries deregulation fettish that got us into this mess in the first place, but people are just going to vote for them because they,re not Labour or because "David Cameron looks good"
    Interesting.

    It seems politics are much the same everywhere.

    It's always the other guy's fault.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #10
    Just Crazy Enough to Work
    Edify_Always_In_All_Ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: Voters back Tories over big cuts in spending

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Maybe they do not want to end up like the US with a ****load of debt.
    Indeed. If only we'd had some politician from either side powerful enough to force through spending cuts in the last 50 years or so. Bill Clinton's the only one I can think of right off the bat, and that's mostly because he was fortunate enough to have eight peaceful years to rule in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat
    Heh. Do you realize how many children I'd murder to be immortal and have an army of willing slaves?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •