Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 637

Thread: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

  1. #491
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You're mistaken. Cambridge has a strict noise ordinance: City Of Cambridge - Department Announcement. You can't be as loud as you wish inside or outside your home.



    If an officer could hear him shouting from outside of his home, he was disorderly.
    If it was a noise complaint he would have cited him for a noise complaint not disorderly conduct.

    Also in regards to the statute. Massachusetts general law 272 defines a disorderly person as one who:

    with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or

    recklessly creates a risk thereof

    engages in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, or

    creates a hazard or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.


    Now 1. There was no public inconvenience as the argument took place inside his home. Crowley took it outside when he told Gates if he wanted Crowleys name and badge number he would come outside.

    2. There was no reckless risk created

    3. He did not fight or theaten the officer to cause harm to the officer.

    4. There was no hazard or physically offensive condition. He did not fight or hit the officer or anyone else.

  2. #492
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    No Crowley told Gates if he wanted Crowley's badge number and identification to come outside.
    Gates already had Crowley's information. Crowley told Gates if he had "anything else to say to him" he could say it outside. In other words, Crowley was done, Crowley wanted out of there, Crowley was not going to stand in front of a race-baiting blowhard, and that was that.

    If Gates had not followed, no arrest, no fuss, no controversy....and no fifteen minutes of fame for the Hahvahd nobody.

  3. #493
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Gates already had Crowley's information. Crowley told Gates if he had "anything else to say to him" he could say it outside. In other words, Crowley was done, Crowley wanted out of there, Crowley was not going to stand in front of a race-baiting blowhard, and that was that.

    If Gates had not followed, no arrest, no fuss, no controversy....and no fifteen minutes of fame for the Hahvahd nobody.
    No Gates did not have his information otherwise he wouldn't have asked multiple times for it. He told Gates to come outside to get his badge number and name. At that point he brought him outside and slapped the cuffs on him further pushing the situation. If Crowley was done he would have just left. Once again as a police officer why did Crowley not take the high ground and act like the bigger man?

    Also I think Crowley had a better case for Contempt of Cop as his fellow cops had shown up and were outside.

    BTW Gates is not a harvard nobody just because you've never heard of him before. He's a well respected professor as well as a literary critic, writer, editor and scholar. He has had numerous awards and honors and sits on the boards of many notable institutions. Hardly a nobody as you say
    Last edited by PogueMoran; 07-27-09 at 12:54 PM.

  4. #494
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    BTW Good Reverend the police report also seems to make the same mistake and infer that the woman observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch of Ware Street

  5. #495
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    No Gates did not have his information otherwise he wouldn't have asked multiple times for it. He told Gates to come outside to get his badge number and name. At that point he brought him outside and slapped the cuffs on him further pushing the situation. If Crowley was done he would have just left. Once again as a police officer why did Crowley not take the high ground and act like the bigger man?
    Crowley did act like the bigger man. He gave Gates his information, confirmed there was no crime in progress, radioed pertinent information back to the dispatcher, and made ready to exit the premises. Crowley acted, by all available evidence, like a solid professional.

    Crowley did not bring Gates outside. Gates followed Crowley outside so he could shout racist garbage at him. Gates picked a fight with a cop who did his job and was in the process of leaving. Gates intentionally escalated that which did not need to be escalated.

    Crowley did act like the bigger man. Unfortunately, Gates decided to play the very small man and would not let Crowley leave without a fight.

    When you fight in public, it's called disturbing the peace, and you go to jail while you cool your hot head down. That's what happened. The hahvahd nobody picked a fight, went to jail for his time out--which is the correct thing to do when someone is acting like a spoiled brat. No racism, no abuse of power, no impropriety.

  6. #496
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,680

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    BTW Good Reverend the police report also seems to make the same mistake and infer that the woman observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch of Ware Street



    I'm just reporting the facts. His race is irrellevant except to race baiters like the president and this loud mouthed "professor"
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #497
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMoran View Post
    He told Gates to come outside to get his badge number and name. At that point he brought him outside and slapped the cuffs on him further pushing the situation. If Crowley was done he would have just left. Once again as a police officer why did Crowley not take the high ground and act like the bigger man?
    Actually, the cop claims that he was attempting to radio the information in. The professor was so loud that the cop couldn't hear anything.

    He had to get out of the house so he could be heard and hear what was being transmitted to him.

    He told the good prof. that if he had more to say, he'd have to come outside.

    While outside, the good prof. kept it up after multiple warnings - there were more warnings while outside - then was arrested.
    Last edited by buck; 07-27-09 at 01:00 PM.

  8. #498
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Crowley did act like the bigger man. He gave Gates his information, confirmed there was no crime in progress, radioed pertinent information back to the dispatcher, and made ready to exit the premises. Crowley acted, by all available evidence, like a solid professional.

    Crowley did not bring Gates outside. Gates followed Crowley outside so he could shout racist garbage at him. Gates picked a fight with a cop who did his job and was in the process of leaving. Gates intentionally escalated that which did not need to be escalated.

    Crowley did act like the bigger man. Unfortunately, Gates decided to play the very small man and would not let Crowley leave without a fight.

    When you fight in public, it's called disturbing the peace, and you go to jail while you cool your hot head down. That's what happened. The hahvahd nobody picked a fight, went to jail for his time out--which is the correct thing to do when someone is acting like a spoiled brat. No racism, no abuse of power, no impropriety.
    Crowley had asked Gates to come outside even that is in the police report. If everything was done properly the charges wouldn't have been dropped. Once again according to Commonwealth v Melvey the appearance of a police officer does not connotate public behavior. The people were gathered already because the police were on scene.

  9. #499
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I'm just reporting the facts. His race is irrellevant except to race baiters like the president and this loud mouthed "professor"
    The president and race has nothing to do with the police report and what this woman is now saying. If you want to call the president a race baiter make another thread.

  10. #500
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Last Seen
    11-03-11 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,834

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Actually, the cop claims that he was attempting to radio the information in. The professor was so loud that the cop couldn't hear anything.

    He had to get out of the house so he could be heard and hear what was being transmitted to him.

    He told the good prof. that if he had more to say, he'd have to come outside.

    While outside, the good prof. kept it up after multiple warnings - there were more warnings while outside - then was arrested.
    Actually after Gates asked for his ID again in the report he told Gates he'd have to come outside. Again there are two sides to every story we have yet to hear Gates' full side and everyone has focused on Crowley's side. So again I ask what harm would it have done if the officer just left the property? Obviously he felt some threat to his authority because Gates called other officers to the scene.

Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •