Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 637

Thread: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

  1. #391
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    This statement invalidates anything you say in regards to police.
    no it doesn't.

  2. #392
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,718

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    What will the tape show? That Gates was a complete douche bag? We already know that. I'm not contesting that Gates baited this cop and showed his ass, I'm saying the arrest was bad based upon a lack of evidence to support the crime Gates was arrested for.

    I dunno, I have seen many arrested for much less.... Though, I WAS at mardi gras


    that said, I think that the arrest probably was not something I would do, I have thick skin, However, I think that in this case, that if there is precedent in arrest, then there is really nothing in particular that can be said about the cop. Perhaps procedure should change, and I'd probably agree with you there, however, I think that, with this case, and standards procedure that seem to be being backed up up in Mass, that he did what they do...







    That isn't what happened though. Gates provided his I.D. Hypothetical scenarios don't apply here. But, if I encountered someone in the scenario you described, and I never got I.D. from them, I could arrest them on PC for burglary. However once it's determined that the "offender" was actually the homeowner, there is no crime. If he refused to identify, and there is an ordinance or statute that gives me power to arrest for that offense, then yes...I could arrest them. I'll remind you, none of the factors in your scenario were present in the Gates case.

    He eventually showed his id... Could the officer had arrested him the 1st time he refused? Just questioning here.





    According to the officer he produced it reluctantly. Gates says he produced it upon request. The bottom line was he produced it. No crime.
    Fair enough, What I am saying though that if there was a delay in producing, how long of a delay is acceptable before it becomes an arrestable offense?



    Only if by textbook you mean leaving out pertinent facts and evidence necessary to make your charge stick.


    Nah, I think they could have taken that to court, especcially if it was not a big wig college professor....




    Maybe. The college kid might have a rich white daddy who has a lawyer who takes one look at the report and calls the DA and tells him "I'll hand you your ass in court and then I'll sue." And maybe the kid gets out with no charges dropped.

    Naaaa, not at Havard, no way!



    I spent many years as the cop and learned many lessons by working with the numerous prosecutors. I know report writing, I know case preparation. I did it for a living. I taught ethics, internal affairs, and case preparation at the police academy.

    This report sucks. It's transparent. He didn't document nearly enough to make his case. A good cop doesn't go for PC and then stop. A good cop does his job, documents the evidence, and prepares his case for submission to the DA. A good cop will do a thorough job and not rely on his observation when he knows damn good and well he needs a victim to make a specific charge stick. In other words, he knows the statutes and the elements of those statutes that he is enforcing.

    You have your opinion, and I see other cops on this sight have opposite views, so I think at this point its still wait and see....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #393
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Why did the cop not get testimony from the neighbors stating that Gates was disorderly?

  4. #394
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    no it doesn't.
    Yes, it does.

    And personally I find it to be a personal attack, so cease with the personal attacks sir.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #395
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Why did the cop not get testimony from the neighbors stating that Gates was disorderly?
    Because that is a bunch of crap made up by Lerxst.

    Or its part of the rules of evidence in what was HIS jurisdiction when he was an LEO.

    I know im not required to get statements from a member of the public for a stinkin' disorderly conduct charge in NC.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #396
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yes, it does.

    And personally I find it to be a personal attack, so cease with the personal attacks sir.
    Are you going to e-arrest him for disorderly conduct?!?!?!

  7. #397
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,718

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    guilty conscious?

    You are so full of **** "good reverend".


    I am sure ***** is "Greatness", thanks man, but the Good Reverend does not require tribute....


    Most cops abuse their power. So do most politicians, and most anyody else that is given power.

    Prove this with any evidence. Please by all means, lets see you are not simply making emotional claims, based on your fear of 5-0 finding your stash......




    Which is why I support a position that is in constant vigil of such abuse of power.

    I have more "vigil" in practice and reality, than you could ever bloviate on the forums. You give Libertarians, such as my self, a bad name, you make us look like kooks.... /facepalm



    Not sure where your political stance comes from - lala land I suppose.


    It comes from this thing called "common sense"........


    Now, I am having a discussion with lerxst here and I am sympathetic to the whole arrest, though I see a legal justification for it, think it may not be the right thing here. That said. The man once he followed him out of his house, and into the street, became a public nusiance. that is the arguments.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #398
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Because that is a bunch of crap made up by Lerxst.

    Or its part of the rules of evidence in what was HIS jurisdiction when he was an LEO.

    I know im not required to get statements from a member of the public for a stinkin' disorderly conduct charge in NC.
    Honestly, as a cop, are you saying you've never used the disorderly conduct charge just to lock some asshole up, who pissed you off and nothing more?

  9. #399
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I am sure ***** is "Greatness", thanks man, but the Good Reverend does not require tribute....
    **** is a 4 letter word.

    Prove this with any evidence. Please by all means, lets see you are not simply making emotional claims, based on your fear of 5-0 finding your stash......
    I am not making a factual claim, I am stating an opinion.

    I have more "vigil" in practice and reality, than you could ever bloviate on the forums. You give Libertarians, such as my self, a bad name, you make us look like kooks.... /facepalm
    the neocon thinks I give libertarians a bad name.

    lol

    The man once he followed him out of his house, and into the street, became a public nusiance. that is the arguments.
    your understanding of the facts are pathetic. He did not go on the street, he never left his property until he was arrested.

  10. #400
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Honestly, as a cop, are you saying you've never used the disorderly conduct charge just to lock some asshole up, who pissed you off and nothing more?
    don't expect honesty from Caine....ever

Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •