Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 637

Thread: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

  1. #31
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Anoybody knows you stay calm with coppers! So much for sheepskins. Frigging Dumbass!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #32
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by NortheastCynic View Post
    In fairness, he did provide the officer with his Harvard ID.

    Here is the police report.

    -NC
    LOL! The 5.0 on my ass and want my I.D? I think I will whip out my N.C. State ID!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  3. #33
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's been my experience, that if you don't break the law, the cops can't screw with you.
    That is total crap! Cops have something like quotas (aka as goals or whatever they are calling em now) that they need to fill and trust me on this they can and will screw with you.

    One more thing. Cops cannot screw with you? You think all cops are clean? There are dirty cops and they are not very nice people.
    Last edited by Kali; 07-21-09 at 12:06 PM.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    That is total crap! Cops have something like quotas (aka as goals or whatever they are calling em now) that they need to fill and trust me on this they can and will screw with you.
    No they don't. "Police quotas", are an urban legend.

    That aside, I think it's safe to say that anyone over the age of 25 can attest to the fact that if you're not breaking the law, the cops don't jack with you. That's been my experience, because everytime a cop jacked with me, it directly related to me being up to no good. It didn't take me long to observe a pattern.

    One more thing. Cops cannot screw with you? You think all cops are clean? There are dirty cops and they are not very nice people.
    I've never, ever seen a cop pick on someone that wasn't doing something wrong. Now, I've been questioned by a cop, because it, "looked", like I might be up to no good, but after I politely answered the officer's questions and did what he asked me to do, everything was ok. Just because you believe you're not doing anything wrong doesn't mean that you can cock-off on a cop and expect everything to be ok. It just doesn't work like that in the real world.
    Last edited by apdst; 07-21-09 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No they don't. "Police quotas", are an urban legend.

    That aside, I think it's safe to say that anyone over the age of 25 can attest to the fact that if you're not breaking the law, the cops don't jack with you. That's been my experience, because everytime a cop jacked with me, it directly related to me being up to no good. It didn't take me long to observe a pattern.
    Police quotas are definitely not an urban legend. Typically city cops have quotas. Highway and state patrols don't.

    And that's not true as well. Cops in the end are human beings and if you are dressed a certain way or give off a certain vibe to them they can and will hassle you. They are also capable of being assholes just like anyone is. As is typical with any human being who is in a position of power it is easy to get on a power trip and a lot of cops do this. I'm not saying that they are all bad, but a fair amount are.

  6. #36
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Police quotas are definitely not an urban legend. Typically city cops have quotas. Highway and state patrols don't.
    You're going to have to prove that cops, any cops, have a quota on the number of people that they hassle. I understand that a few local cops have ticket quotas, but not hassle quotas.

    And that's not true as well. Cops in the end are human beings and if you are dressed a certain way or give off a certain vibe to them they can and will hassle you. They are also capable of being assholes just like anyone is. As is typical with any human being who is in a position of power it is easy to get on a power trip and a lot of cops do this. I'm not saying that they are all bad, but a fair amount are.
    That's right. They are human. And, as is typical with 99.99% of the humans in the world, they respond to your attitude. Basically, if you be cool, they'll be cool. Are there exceptions to the rule? Of coruse there are. However, the key is, don't give them a reason to be an asshole and usually, they won't be an asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #37
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're going to have to prove that cops, any cops, have a quota on the number of people that they hassle. I understand that a few local cops have ticket quotas, but not hassle quotas.
    Yes they do and that's what I was referring to. You just said that police quotas are a myth. You didn't specify that you were talking about the ridiculous notion of "hassle" quotas.

    That's right. They are human. And, as is typical with 99.99% of the humans in the world, they respond to your attitude. Basically, if you be cool, they'll be cool. Are there exceptions to the rule? Of coruse there are. However, the key is, don't give them a reason to be an asshole and usually, they won't be an asshole.
    I've seen plenty of cops lose their cool on people who were perfectly polite. It's mainly because they either had preconceived notions about these people or just thought that they were lying about something. Hell, it's happened to me a few times. Some cops are always on edge, and it may be because they deal with tons of assholes day in and day out. Regardless, that's no excuse for them to be assholes. Overall I haven't had much hassle from cops, but it has happened.

  8. #38
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Yes they do and that's what I was referring to. You just said that police quotas are a myth. You didn't specify that you were talking about the ridiculous notion of "hassle" quotas.
    I was responding to the rediculous notion that cops have to hassle "X" amount of people everyday.

    I've seen plenty of cops lose their cool on people who were perfectly polite. It's mainly because they either had preconceived notions about these people or just thought that they were lying about something. Hell, it's happened to me a few times. Some cops are always on edge, and it may be because they deal with tons of assholes day in and day out. Regardless, that's no excuse for them to be assholes. Overall I haven't had much hassle from cops, but it has happened.
    Those situations are the exception, not the rule. In most of those cases, I'm betting that the subjects weren't being, "perfectly", polite, though.

    The most impatient cops in the country, if not the world are New Orleans cops, during Mardi Gras. I've been to enough Mardi grass to know that if you play it cool with them, you won't get a knight stick in your grape. If you mouth off at them, they will leave you in the gudder, bleeding. It's just not that hard to figure out and when someone says, "that cop gave me a hard time", I just have to ask what that person did to bring that hard time on himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #39
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I was responding to the rediculous notion that cops have to hassle "X" amount of people everyday.

    Those situations are the exception, not the rule. In most of those cases, I'm betting that the subjects weren't being, "perfectly", polite, though.
    And that's all you can do is guess because you weren't there. These are experiences that I have witnessed first hand. You can doubt them all you want, but I remember them vividly.

    The most impatient cops in the country, if not the world are New Orleans cops, during Mardi Gras. I've been to enough Mardi grass to know that if you play it cool with them, you won't get a knight stick in your grape. If you mouth off at them, they will leave you in the gudder, bleeding. It's just not that hard to figure out and when someone says, "that cop gave me a hard time", I just have to ask what that person did to bring that hard time on himself.
    Just as I said earlier, not all cops are like this. A fair amount of them are, though. If someone is polite to me I will be polite back. However, I'm not going to kiss their ass just because they have a metal badge. The fact that they have weapons gives them the upper hand. Authority is merely an illusion.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    And that's all you can do is guess because you weren't there. These are experiences that I have witnessed first hand. You can doubt them all you want, but I remember them vividly.
    And, I have been in identical situations. When people got a hard time from a cop, it wasn't because they were being, "perfectly", polite to the officer.



    However, I'm not going to kiss their ass just because they have a metal badge. The fact that they have weapons gives them the upper hand. Authority is merely an illusion.
    Don't ever wonder why you get pressed by a cop. If you do, come back and read your comments here
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •