Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 637

Thread: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

  1. #271
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I'm an expert in police work, I don't have to be an expert in Massachusetts law. I can read the statute and then see if they applied the charge properly based on the elements of the case. They did not act properly.

    They ****ed up.
    And again I disagree based upon the fact that yelling the same thing over and over in public goes from communicating your feelings to being a nuisance.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #272
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    My response remains the same.
    Well like the officer in this story, you've not proven your case. We don't get the liberty of interpreting the law and applying on a case by case basis so that it fits our desire at the time. The law is the law. Either this guy didn't know the statute or he deliberately misused in order to make an arrest.

    Either way, the arrest was a bad and he should be reprimanded.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #273
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Well like the officer in this story, you've not proven your case. We don't get the liberty of interpreting the law and applying on a case by case basis so that it fits our desire at the time. The law is the law. Either this guy didn't know the statute or he deliberately misused in order to make an arrest.

    Either way, the arrest was a bad and he should be reprimanded.
    So your not going to address the fact that following the man outside, even at request, and repeating the same accusations that had already been communicated, loudly, and refusing to calm down when asked to do so, and then told, would definately constitute as acting disorderly with the intent to do so?


    You are wrong on this one.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #274
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    So wait a minute, this guys is coming out of his house in hand cuffs. I thought they arrested him out on the sidewalk.

    The charge was dropped because it was bull****. Not because these cops were racist. They arrested him on "being an asshole to the cops in public." Unfortunately for them, this guy had a the resources to call them on their nonsense.

    Folks who can't take some name calling have no business working in law enforcement.
    Yeah, right.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #275
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And again I disagree based upon the fact that yelling the same thing over and over in public goes from communicating your feelings to being a nuisance.
    In almost every state (if not all) it is held that police officers peace cannot be disturbed while he or she is on duty. I see nothing in this report that shows a member of the public made a complaint that Gates' actions were annoying, alarming, or being a nuisance. I also know what Massachusetts statute says about this crime and what the report says. They don't add up.
    *insert profound statement here*

  6. #276
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    In almost every state (if not all) it is held that police officers peace cannot be disturbed while he or she is on duty. I see nothing in this report that shows a member of the public made a complaint that Gates' actions were annoying, alarming, or being a nuisance. I also know what Massachusetts statute says about this crime and what the report says. They don't add up.
    Did you not read as I did that he took notice of people in the area who were interrupted in their actions and stopped to look over at the loud commotion of ignorant rhetoric coming out of Gate's mouth?

    I don't know how many more straws you have to reach for at this point.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #277
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So your not going to address the fact that following the man outside, even at request, and repeating the same accusations that had already been communicated, loudly, and refusing to calm down when asked to do so, and then told, would definately constitute as acting disorderly with the intent to do so?
    Have you read the actual statute? There is no wiggle room there. There is a definitive culpable mental state that must be present to have committed this crime. A crime against the PUBLIC, not the police. There is NO citizen complainant and there is no evidence that Gates intent was to be a nuisance to the public. It's not articulated in the report ANYWHERE.

    You are wrong on this one.
    No, I am quite right.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #278
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Did you not read as I did that he took notice of people in the area who were interrupted in their actions and stopped to look over at the loud commotion of ignorant rhetoric coming out of Gate's mouth?
    Negative. They chose to come out and watch. They didn't have to, he didn't go onto their lawn or deliberately drag them into it. They decided of their own accord to stop and gawk. The issue was confined to Gates residence until the police officer asked him to come outside and talk, where onlooker purposely chose to come and join the crowd. They injected themselves into this event. He didn't force them to watch.

    You have not proven he had purpose to cause an annoyance to them. That is the element of the crime. And I don't care what he was saying, whether it was ignorant or not is irrelevant. Nothing he did violated an actual Massachusetts law.

    I don't know how many more straws you have to reach for at this point.
    I'm not reaching, I'm reading the law and applying it the man's actions.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 07-23-09 at 07:01 PM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  9. #279
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    And let me reiterate...Gates is a loud mouthed, race baiting douche bag. But he shouldn't have been arrested.

    And Obama should have kept his big mouth shut.
    *insert profound statement here*

  10. #280
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Top scholar Gates arrested in Mass., claims racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Negative. They chose to come out and watch. They didn't have to, he didn't go onto their lawn or deliberately drag them into it. They decided of their own accord to stop and gawk. You have not proven he had purpose to cause an annoyance to them. That is the element of the crime. And I don't care what he was saying, whether it was ignorant or not is irrelevant. Nothing he did violated an actual Massachusetts law.


    I'm not reaching, I'm reading the law and applying it the man's actions.

    Again, I stated that a reasonable person does not need to yell and repeat the same message over and over through normal communication.

    The fact that he came outside to yell and scream the same message over and over and not stop yelling and calm down when asked to do so shows that he had the intent to cause a disturbance, which he was doing.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •