Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

  1. #51
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    The Tet offensive is more famed for its psychological effect on congress and the US public rather than its military facts. It helped with the pull out, that's for sure. A war isn't won purely by the military, either. Military gains mean nothing without a congress and a people supporting it.

    RIP, Cronkite.
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  2. #52
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Stay classy, conservatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You stay classy liberals.

    yay, its fun to ignore evidence to the contrary where numerous conservatives...even some of the most rabid ones...WERE being classy in this thread and instead focus on one that decides to act like a jerk and then act like a jerk yourself to try and use it to insult all conservatives. Very classy of you, I mean, the pure definition of class. [/roll]
    Soooo, you're calling me out for calling him out?

    And the difference is what?

    If you don't want me calling out conservatives when they write something stupid, you can:

    a. warn them to stop screwing up threads

    b. stop encouraging them

    c. change the forum name to onlydumbconservativescanposthere.com

  3. #53
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    That's the opinion of Melvin Laird with the emphasis on opinion. The "support" that we withdrew was the active combat by our forces we still gve them equipment. The funding that congress withdrew was American combat forces. The sad fact remains historically correct and that is that the South Vietnamese government did not have good support from it's own people. That is why I have allways said that we lost the political war in Vietnam.
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  4. #54
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    His, "famous reversal", in 1968 is the defeatism I'm talking about. He said that the war couldn't be won, while we had soldiers on the battlefield. That's defeatism, in every sense of the word. He encouraged the enemy to keep fighting.
    That's your words, lets see what Cronkite actually said, and if there is something he said that wasn't 100% accurate, feel free to attack.

    Walter Cronkite, Feb. 27, 1968

    Tonight, back in more familiar surroundings in New York, we’d like to sum up our findings in Vietnam, an analysis that must be speculative, personal, subjective. Who won and who lost in the great Tet offensive against the cities? I’m not sure. The Vietcong did not win by a knockout, but neither did we. The referees of history may make it a draw.

    Another standoff may be coming in the big battles expected south of the Demilitarized Zone. Khesanh could well fall, with a terrible loss in American lives, prestige and morale, and this is a tragedy of our stubbornness there; but the bastion no longer is a key to the rest of the northern regions, and it is doubtful that the American forces can be defeated across the breadth of the DMZ with any substantial loss of ground. Another standoff.

    On the political front, past performance gives no confidence that the Vietnamese government can cope with its problems, now compounded by the attack on the cities. It may not fall, it may hold on, but it probably won’t show the dynamic qualities demanded of this young nation. Another standoff.

    We have been too often disappointed by the optimism of the American leaders, both in Vietnam and Washington, to have faith any longer in the silver linings they find in the darkest clouds. They may be right, that Hanoi’s winter-spring offensive has been forced by the Communist realization that they could not win the longer war of attrition, and that the Communists hope that any success in the offensive will improve their position for eventual negotiations. It would improve their position, and it would also require our realization, that we should have had all along, that any negotiations must be that — negotiations, not the dictation of peace terms.

    For it seems now more certain than ever that the bloody experience of Vietnam is to end in a stalemate. This summer’s almost certain standoff will either end in real give-and-take negotiations or terrible escalation; and for every means we have to escalate, the enemy can match us, and that applies to invasion of the North, the use of nuclear weapons, or the mere commitment of one hundred, or two hundred, or three hundred thousand more American troops to the battle. And with each escalation, the world comes closer to the brink of cosmic disaster.

    To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion.

    On the off chance that military and political analysts are right, in the next few months we must test the enemy’s intentions, in case this is indeed his last big gasp before negotiations. But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could.

    This is Walter Cronkite. Good night.

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Cronkite said the war had become "no better than a stalemate", which was true. The politicians (both left and right) wouldn't do the necessary things needed to win a real war.

    If you were there and saw fellow Americans die by the hundreds to take a few mountaintops just to leave the next day to let the enemy regain control of them again, what would you call it?

    And what was the victory objective? 50,000 troops were dead and the North Koreans were stronger than when then war had started. They had unlimited backing from China, so how many more dead would you say that little chunk of land in south Asia was worth?
    I hear ya brother. You tell'em. Tell'em bout the people that ran that war too.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #56
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obviously, asn uninformed opinion. An opinion that, as I proved, encouraged the enemy to keep fighting, costing no telling how many more American lives.



    You're wrong. The ARVN ran out of gasoline and ammo. They well had the support of the Vietnamese people. Remember all those people mobbing the aircraft leaving Tan Son Nhut Airbase? They weren't running after those planes because of their elation at the prospect of the Communist victory. How 'bout all those boat people who left Vietnam on rafts made of truck tires? You think they took that trip, because life under the Communists was so sweet and rosey?



    No, he wasn't and history has proven that. Try learning about the events you lived through, sometime.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cronkite]Walter Cronkite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    First of all you can take your suggestion about what I should " learn " about what "lived through" and find yourself a secure location for it because if you want to debate then debate by showing the people you disagree with the same dignitiy and respect that yopu expect them to show you and which most people have shown you up to that last post of yours. I will debate with your opinions but there is no reason why you or anyone else needs to disparage any other poster just becasue you hapen to disagree. Dispute their facts by showing you own or argue your opinion over theirs and keep this a true debate forum not a urination contest.

    I suggest that you and anyone inteested u read an extract of the salient part of was Cronkite had to say:
    "To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion. On the off chance that military and political analysts are right, in the next few months we must test the enemy's intentions, in case this is indeed his last big gasp before negotiations. But it is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out then will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy, and did the best they could.[30]"

    Cronkite's statement was in no way defeatist but his assessment was realistist. It was harshly realistic but it was realistic.
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    The Tet offensive is more famed for its psychological effect on congress and the US public rather than its military facts. It helped with the pull out, that's for sure. A war isn't won purely by the military, either. Military gains mean nothing without a congress and a people supporting it.

    RIP, Cronkite.
    Especially when people such as yourself support that idiotic mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #58
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    That's your words, lets see what Cronkite actually said, and if there is something he said that wasn't 100% accurate, feel free to attack.
    Joe you are playing a very unfair game here by putting facts out there. How dare you use facts and truth in a debate forum ? Whatsamattaforyou !! LOL !
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  9. #59
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    The Tet offensive is more famed for its psychological effect on congress and the US public rather than its military facts. It helped with the pull out, that's for sure. A war isn't won purely by the military, either. Military gains mean nothing without a congress and a people supporting it.

    RIP, Cronkite.
    You are a bit correct in that the military victory was not there byThe COMMIES with TET 68 but I must say that they did show that they couls coordinate a countrywide attack. We also need to remeber that the Communists were not in a position to hold targets for any lenght of time they just wanted to show that they could hit "everywhere".
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    So Folks may I suggest that f we all want to discuss The Tet offense that we either go to the Miltary Section or Histiry Section and start a thread hell i'll start one if everyone wants to discuss this but I will tell you this most of you are atad off base with what your talking about. But I iwll not go into in this thread.

    As for the topic of this thread I was never a fan of Mr. Cronkite he cost us the War in Nam and i'llleave at that.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •