Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Stay classy, conservatives.
    You stay classy liberals.



    yay, its fun to ignore evidence to the contrary where numerous conservatives...even some of the most rabid ones...WERE being classy in this thread and instead focus on one that decides to act like a jerk and then act like a jerk yourself to try and use it to insult all conservatives. Very classy of you, I mean, the pure definition of class. [/roll]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He was a defeatest piece of ****.
    Really, you're opinion was so great and important that you needed to come in here where people are paying their respects to just basically at like a jerk and crap up the thread. Sure, not everyones gotta have a good opinion of Cronkite, but you couldn't possibly allow people to have a thread to pay respects and start a new one attacking the man?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    apdst is right and you don't know the facts.
    Perhaps he is and perhaps the other guy doesn't know the facts, but doesn't change the fact that he acted rather classless in attempting to turn the thread into some kind of giant argument when almost everyone was simply trying to pay respects. You seem to feel the same way as apdst, but that didn't keep you from at least showing class and respecting that people were wanting to pay respects to the dead.

  2. #22
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Just calling it, "the way it is". Anybody, who would get on national TV, while our troops fighting and dieing on the battlefield, achieving a very hard won victory and say that there's no way to win the war, is a defeatest piece of ****.
    I shipped out to Vietnam a few months after Wlater Conkite made that remark and to be honest I knew hemade it as did many others who had where saill there or on he way over. Yet it did not negatively affect us. The reason being is that Cronkite amde an honest assessment of the war at that point in time and taking in the political, social, and military situation into consideration.

    You call Cronkite a "defeatist" says more about the caller than about Cronkite. If one just knows a very very little bit about what the man Cronkite had done from WW II and up through hat point one would realize that Conkite is hardly a "defeatist".

    What Cronkite did was tell us what we needed to hear and ot what we wanted to hear. To try and smear Cronkite for that remark is indeed folly at it's ihghest.

    What Cronkite said in 1968 is vertually what McNamarra admitted to many years later.

    We won the Vitenam War militarily while we were there.After we left ARVN lost it becasue ARVN AND THE vIETNAMESE goernment didn't havethe support of the Vietnamese people.

    The basic tuth is that truth has no partisansip and unfortuately Walter Cronkite was telling the truth
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 07-19-09 at 09:50 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    02-03-11 @ 08:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    585

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Walter had a major impact on the way news is reported today when he went on the air during the Vietnam war and issued his opinion that the war was lost rather than reporting the news. Since then the personal opinion of the reporters have gotten to the point where almost every news story reported that is remotely connected to politics is slanted toward the liberal point of view.
    Edward R. Murrow was the most influential in that regard, of course 'the liberal point of view' being anything to the left of the John Birch Society in most 'conservatives' minds; being opposed to the VN war was as much a 'conservative' political position as it gets, unless you support very liberal foreign policy objectives, and VN was the quintessential manifestation of Cold War Liberalism, supported by hawks like Truman, Hubert Humphrey, and LBJ.

  4. #24
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You stay classy liberals.



    yay, its fun to ignore evidence to the contrary where numerous conservatives...even some of the most rabid ones...WERE being classy in this thread and instead focus on one that decides to act like a jerk and then act like a jerk yourself to try and use it to insult all conservatives. Very classy of you, I mean, the pure definition of class. [/roll]



    Really, you're opinion was so great and important that you needed to come in here where people are paying their respects to just basically at like a jerk and crap up the thread. Sure, not everyones gotta have a good opinion of Cronkite, but you couldn't possibly allow people to have a thread to pay respects and start a new one attacking the man?



    Perhaps he is and perhaps the other guy doesn't know the facts, but doesn't change the fact that he acted rather classless in attempting to turn the thread into some kind of giant argument when almost everyone was simply trying to pay respects. You seem to feel the same way as apdst, but that didn't keep you from at least showing class and respecting that people were wanting to pay respects to the dead.
    I will agree with you and say that Joe should not have brought the partisan connection into the thread but in Joe defense ans as you pointed out for someone to crap on a thread that was intended to be a forum for showing respect for an American icon I can understand why Joe reacted that way. It was a very emeotional reaction by Joe as I percive it.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    I shipped out to Vietnam a few months after Wlater Conkite made that remark and to be honest I knew hemade it as did many others who had where saill there or on he way over. Yet it did not negatively affect us. The reason being is that Cronkite amde an honest assessment of the war at that point in time and taking in the political, social, and military situation into consideration.
    Obviously, asn uninformed opinion. An opinion that, as I proved, encouraged the enemy to keep fighting, costing no telling how many more American lives.

    We won the Vitenam War militarily while we were there.After we left ARVN lost it becasue ARVN AND THE vIETNAMESE goernment didn't havethe support of the Vietnamese people.
    You're wrong. The ARVN ran out of gasoline and ammo. They well had the support of the Vietnamese people. Remember all those people mobbing the aircraft leaving Tan Son Nhut Airbase? They weren't running after those planes because of their elation at the prospect of the Communist victory. How 'bout all those boat people who left Vietnam on rafts made of truck tires? You think they took that trip, because life under the Communists was so sweet and rosey?

    The basic tuth is that truth has no partisansip and unfortuately Walter Cronkite was telling the truth
    No, he wasn't and history has proven that. Try learning about the events you lived through, sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #26
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Really, you're opinion was so great and important that you needed to come in here where people are paying their respects to just basically at like a jerk and crap up the thread. Sure, not everyones gotta have a good opinion of Cronkite, but you couldn't possibly allow people to have a thread to pay respects and start a new one attacking the man?
    Last I checked, this is a debate forum. Perhaps the staff should consider the creation of a funeral forum where death announcements can be posted, without worry of someone expressing their viewpoint about how that person was a huge piece of ****? Just a thought. As long as it's posted in the open debate venue, then it's fair game, per the rules.

    Would you have posted this statement if someone had called James Earl Ray a piece of ****? Be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #27
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    I have a Walter Cronkite story.
    In 1980 I drove a cab in Manhattan for six months. One day I was tearing around Grand Central Station when a man darted into the street in front of me. I slammed on the brakes, and he froze and put his hands on the hood of the car in terror. We looked at each other. It was Walter Cronkite.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    America (A.K.A., a red state)
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,317

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Walter Cronkite was a two-bit liberal propagandist. All this sorely misguided reverence for him is less than surprising, but nauseating all the same. I can't stomach it for another second without pointing out his utter partisan butchery of every U.S. military endeavor from the Tet Offensive to Iraq.

    Good riddance.
    Last edited by aquapub; 07-19-09 at 10:22 PM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner (paraphrasing James Bovard).

  9. #29
    User NortheastCynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    122

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    RIP to a throwback to a time during which the media was useful.

    -NC

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Walter Cronkite, Iconic Anchorman, Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    As long as it's posted in the open debate venue, then it's fair game, per the rules.
    Pretty sure I said zero in regards to the rules or it being against them, and also pretty sure I spoke as a poster and not inside a mod box. I wasn't saying it was wrong as a mod, I was saying it was ****ty from the view point of a poster. There's no laws for having tact, doesn't change the fact people can call others out and state their lack of respect for the person due to their lack of tact

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •