Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 188

Thread: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

  1. #11
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,028

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Huh? Why will those follow?
    Thirty years ago, you would have laughed if someone told you one day two gay guys could get married, a guy could do what OJ did and get away with it, and marijuana would be legal.

    Legalizing pot opens a Pandora's box.

    One day we'll be debating legalizing polygamy and marrying farm animals. And we'll be debating legalizing recreational narcotic use altogether.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Conservative Part of California
    Last Seen
    04-12-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    285

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    I believe that this is a clever, but nonetheless a, ploy to distract our attention from the fact that we need 1,400,000,000 dollars like a dying man needs water. Making some things legal, taxing them, doesn't disguise the fact that the real reason this is even brought up is because of other policies that made such a massive deficit.

    We voted down additional taxes for a reason, and that reason was not for the state to find additional sources of revenue not currently known. Instead, it was for the state to find additional sources for money-saving - which to be fair, are currently known. Not money-spending, money-saving. So if they legalize it, is a moot point: what matters is that this is not a debate about "liberty, equality, brotherhood" but instead a debate about fiscal responsibility.

    For that, I dislike the idea of legalizing it. The state can stew in its own consequences.
    Last edited by Metternich; 07-16-09 at 01:25 PM.

  3. #13
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Only because cocaine and heroin will soon follow.
    So what. It's none of your business what I do.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  4. #14
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    I really do not know anything about pot to care one way or another. So, where are the pot people to defend this crop?

  5. #15
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Like who?



    .........
    Erod right on this thread!
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    So what. It's none of your business what I do.
    Yeah actually it is in this case.

    We all have to follow the same rules, so I can oppose those rules which you also have to follow simply out of my own self interest with out giving a damn about you either way.

    However, drug addiction and all related crime does directly affect me, not only through taxes, but in having to live in or near those neighborhoods.

    I support legalizing pot, and not just this "medicinal" fagot bull****, but "because I want to get pie-faced because I can" recreational use, just like liquor. Your argument does not do the cause any favors.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Thirty years ago, you would have laughed if someone told you one day two gay guys could get married, a guy could do what OJ did and get away with it, and marijuana would be legal.

    Legalizing pot opens a Pandora's box.

    One day we'll be debating legalizing polygamy and marrying farm animals. And we'll be debating legalizing recreational narcotic use altogether.
    Did you notice that you failed to include any supporting data or examples proving your argument in any way? I'll give you a ride if you need one, but you might first try finding a country or 2 which have legalized pot and demonstrate how pot lead to legalizing harsher drugs.

    Otherwise, hop in....

  8. #18
    User JustinDeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Last Seen
    07-22-09 @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    96

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Legalize it!

    How many people smoke tobacco?

    What is worse something that is grown from the ground
    or something chemical?

    I would have to say natural.
    There is a popular Chinese maxim: "The hat is good, the shoes are good. However, if you put the hat on your feet, and the shoes on your head, then both become useless."

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinDeeMan View Post
    Legalize it!

    How many people smoke tobacco?

    What is worse something that is grown from the ground
    or something chemical?

    I would have to say natural.
    Make no mistake, once it's legalized it will be heavily regulated and altered just like tobacco. Chances are distribution without a license will still be illegal, and the legal cigarettes will have every bit as many toxins as tobacco cigarettes do now.

    However, just as you can buy tobacco and roll it yourself, I strongly believe you will be able to do the same with pot. You should also be able to grow your own, just as you can tobacco, and even brew your own liquor if you have the means.

  10. #20
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yeah actually it is in this case.
    No, it's not. If I am not violating your life, liberty or property it's none of your business. You have no moral authority to interfere with my life. That's what separates real freedom from the "freedom" Conservatives tout. The "freedom" to do only what conservatives approve of is not freedom.

    However, drug addiction and all related crime does directly affect me, not only through taxes, but in having to live in or near those neighborhoods.
    Neighborhoods cannot be addicted to drugs. In any event, millions are addicted to drugs in this country, both legal and illegal. So you not liking it doesn't seem to be helping. And, again, it's none of your business.

    I support legalizing pot, and not just this "medicinal" fagot bull****, but "because I want to get pie-faced because I can" recreational use, just like liquor. Your argument does not do the cause any favors.
    I'm more concerned with my argument being logically consistent and correct than in being politically correct. My body does not belong to you or the Nanny state and as such what I choose to put in it is not your issue to worry about. Otherwise, to be consistent, we need to start banning all sorts of crap that is "bad" for people.
    Last edited by stekim; 07-16-09 at 03:12 PM.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •