Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 188 of 188

Thread: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Kanda, why would you defend these dealers of death yet take exception to someone who wants to deal death back to them?
    You do realize that when people want to get high, they will right? hence the people that sniff spray paint, sniff computer air dusting cans, etc.

    People will find more and dangerous ways to high if they REALLY want to.

    I say let's make drugs as legal and safe as possible and to the rest that do other things, let Murphy's law take it's effect.

    You can't save everyone from drug effects no matter how hard you try.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 07-23-09 at 01:29 AM.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    02-03-11 @ 08:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    585

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    http://www.economics.harvard.edu/fac...udget_2008.pdf

    The report estimates that legalizing drugs would save roughly $44.1 billion per year in government expenditure on enforcement of prohibition. $30.3 billion of this savings would accrue to state and local governments, while $13.8 billion would accrue to the federal government. Approximately $12.9 billion of the savings would results from legalization of marijuana, $19.3 billion from legalization of cocaine and heroin, and $11.6 from legalization of other drugs.

    The report also estimates that drug legalization would yield tax revenue of $32.7 billion annually, assuming legal drugs are taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. Approximately $6.7 of this revenue would result from legalization of marijuana, $22.5 billion from legalization of cocaine and heroin, and $3.5 from legalization of other drugs.
    This doesn't have much to do with what I posted, but making up fantasy projections on tax revenues is a game anybody can play, since it's all imaginary and not factual. Weed is easy to grow, and anybody can buy customized seeds to row stuff better than any commercial provider will ever provide at a reasonable price, and that means the tax revenues from weed will not amount to much; it's just too cheap to grow on your own.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    02-03-11 @ 08:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    585

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    How did Al Capone and Joe Kennedy get rich? Yes, that's right, the government created a black market and the criminals got rich.
    Prohibition was a mixed bag; it made people like Al Capone rich because the government in Illinois and other midwestern and northeastern states was corrupt, no because of merely making alcohol illegal. Prohibition was already in effect in many states long before the Volstead Act, and many states, and large areas in others, remained dry after it was repealed; it was only repealed because booze taxes were touted as a revenue generator for the Federal government during a Depression. Alcohol consumption didn't reach the pre-war levels again until the late 1940's, and the revenues expected never amounted to much.

    Legalizing crank and heroin will only make it easier for kids to get a hold of it and create more addicts, not fewer; the U.S. needs to get rid of its political corruption, not run around legalizing every stupid thing a bunch of spoiled, stupid college kids want to legalize. Legailizing pot is no big deal, it's certainly better than alcohol, if someone is looking for a buzz, but it not even remotely in the same category as crank and heroin.
    Last edited by Picaro; 07-23-09 at 06:23 AM.

  4. #184
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    Weed is easy to grow, and anybody can buy customized seeds to row stuff better than any commercial provider will ever provide at a reasonable price, and that means the tax revenues from weed will not amount to much; it's just too cheap to grow on your own.
    If you think that would be the case, then please explain why 99% of Americans would rather buy beer at the store instead of brewing their own beer to avoid the taxes. And please explain why hardly anyone grows their own tobacco to avoid the taxes. I mean, if what you say is true, then we should see a much bigger problem now with legal drugs. But your scenario doesn't play out in reality. Why do you think that is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    Prohibition was a mixed bag; it made people like Al Capone rich because the government in Illinois and other midwestern and northeastern states was corrupt, no because of merely making alcohol illegal. Prohibition was already in effect in many states long before the Volstead Act, and many states, and large areas in others, remained dry after it was repealed; it was only repealed because booze taxes were touted as a revenue generator for the Federal government during a Depression. Alcohol consumption didn't reach the pre-war levels again until the late 1940's, and the revenues expected never amounted to much.
    You've made a lot of historical claims here about prohibition that I don't believe are accurate. Where are you getting this information from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Picaro View Post
    Legalizing crank and heroin will only make it easier for kids to get a hold of it and create more addicts, not fewer;
    Actually it would make it harder for kids to get drugs, not easier. Do you know that high school kids consistently say it's easier to get weed than beer? Do you know why that is? It's because thugs on the street aren't asking kids for their IDs before selling to them. Think about it.

  5. #185
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    If you think that would be the case, then please explain why 99% of Americans would rather buy beer at the store instead of brewing their own beer to avoid the taxes. And please explain why hardly anyone grows their own tobacco to avoid the taxes. I mean, if what you say is true, then we should see a much bigger problem now with legal drugs. But your scenario doesn't play out in reality. Why do you think that is?


    You've made a lot of historical claims here about prohibition that I don't believe are accurate. Where are you getting this information from?


    Actually it would make it harder for kids to get drugs, not easier. Do you know that high school kids consistently say it's easier to get weed than beer? Do you know why that is? It's because thugs on the street aren't asking kids for their IDs before selling to them. Think about it.
    It is based on opportunity costs and comparative advantages. Your average smoker will have a higher opportunity cost with growing cannabis, along with less of an advantage compared to an experienced grower. The best bet is to obtain income in your most efficient fashion, to pay the grower to get your cannabis. You would probably spend less time and have more net wealth in the end (unless you spend all your money).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #186
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You do realize that when people want to get high, they will right? hence the people that sniff spray paint, sniff computer air dusting cans, etc.

    People will find more and dangerous ways to high if they REALLY want to.

    I say let's make drugs as legal and safe as possible and to the rest that do other things, let Murphy's law take it's effect.

    You can't save everyone from drug effects no matter how hard you try.
    Oh, I get it now. GREAT PLAN!

    Legalize meth, heroin, and crack. Make it so cheap that the jobless junkies won't have to steal anymore. Hell, let's just give it to them for free. And just like the monkey who was given all the cocaine he wanted, and died, in 6 to 9 months, maybe a year, they will all be dead.

    Maybe I oughta take a second look at this. You guys might be on to something. Hmmmmm.....

    Imagine how easy it would have been on Saddam if the Kurds WANTED the poison gas.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #187
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Thirty years ago, you would have laughed if someone told you one day two gay guys could get married, a guy could do what OJ did and get away with it, and marijuana would be legal.

    Legalizing pot opens a Pandora's box.

    One day we'll be debating legalizing polygamy and marrying farm animals. And we'll be debating legalizing recreational narcotic use altogether.
    Impressive slippery slope argument. I'm sure you also think that legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying dogs and inanimate objects?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B
    I misread the thread title as "Legal pot would rake in $1.48."

    Heh.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •