Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 188

Thread: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I didn't devote an entire discussion to it. I made ONE two-sentence comment that said I think even drugs like meth should be legal, albeit in a more controlled setting than would be necessary for pot (in response to YOUR post about meth). YOU then made a big deal out of it and jumped down my throat.

    If anyone has devoted an entire discussion to the subject, it is you. You've spent a lot more time and energy criticizing me for responding to your meth comment, than I did in actually MAKING said comment.
    This thread isn't about who said what. That's something we do while discussing the issue, but it's not the issue.

    Can you please address the topic or simply leave the thread?

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Oh, I forgot, the removal of black market incentives from society will eliminate the primary revenue source for violent street gangs and criminal organizations, subsequently eliminating them along with the most provocative career choice for young black males in urban areas not yet in a gang, thus decreasing crime in urban areas, thus increasing the economic potential and viability of such areas, thus decreasing poverty in such areas, thus decreasing the likelihood of drug abuse in such areas, thus resulting in a further drop in crime in such areas, thus further increasing the economic potential and viability of such areas, thus...
    No, you forgot links to back any of that up

  3. #153
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    This thread isn't about who said what. That's something we do while discussing the issue, but it's not the issue.

    Can you please address the topic or simply leave the thread?
    You've spent a lot more time in this thread discussing meth than I did in my two-sentence comment on the subject. Furthermore, when I made my two-sentence comment, you didn't address the substance of what I was saying but instead chose to devote several posts accusing me of hijacking the thread. So don't tell ME it's not about who said what.

    If you don't want to address the substance of what I wrote, you can ignore it. But don't act like *I* am the one who changed the subject to meth. I'm done responding to your inane and pointless attacks. If you care to grow the **** up and actually discuss anything relevant to the thread instead of attacking me, then I might respond again.

    Kisses! xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-18-09 at 11:18 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You've spent a lot more time in this thread discussing meth than I did in my two-sentence comment on the subject. Furthermore, when I made my two-sentence comment, you didn't address the substance of what I was saying but instead chose to devote several posts accusing me of hijacking the thread. So don't tell ME it's not about who said what.

    If you don't want to address the substance of what I wrote, you can ignore it. But don't act like *I* am the one who changed the subject to meth. I'm done responding to your inane and pointless attacks. If you care to grow the **** up and actually discuss anything relevant to the thread instead of attacking me, then I might respond again. Kisses! xoxoxoxoxo
    This thread isn't about me either, it's about pot, but thanks for playing

  5. #155
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Maybe we can take some of that pot tax money and reduce hard drug usage with it. Or build more prisons for those a-holes who insist on selling hard drugs and buying hard drugs.

    Pot.... good.
    Hard drugs.....bad.

    Any questions?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #156
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Maybe we can take some of that pot tax money and reduce hard drug usage with it. Or build more prisons for those a-holes who insist on selling hard drugs and buying hard drugs.

    Pot.... good.
    Hard drugs.....bad.

    Any questions?
    Yes, I have a few.

    What makes you think that building prisons for "a-holes who insist on selling hard drugs and buying hard drugs" is an effective solution? For one thing, prison is a horrible incentive for the buyers to stay clean. If they aren't deterred by the health risks and the dangers of associating with shady drug-dealers, they aren't going to be deterred by a (presumably) relatively short stay in prison. For another thing, how can you possibly believe that a prison sentence is justified for someone who isn't harming anyone by using drugs and just wants to be left alone? Sure, their drug habits might potentially cause harm to someone else...but the same could be said of plenty of legal substances. We should prosecute them for those crimes, not for buying drugs.

    As for the sellers...sure, prison would deter a few of them, but there is enough profit potential in hard drugs to make it an attractive career for enough people to be a problem. I have a surefire way to deter over 99% of the people currently selling hard drugs: Legalize them. You don't see people hocking cigarettes to passersby in dark alleys, do you?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-19-09 at 01:34 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    They do give officers a tool to get people off the street at times.
    Why do they need to be kept off the streets?

    'Support this because it's benign and won't do a single thing.'
    You're erroneously conflating our counter-argument with a justification for our position. We are not trying to repeal drug laws BECAUSE it's benign, that's merely a counter-point to the erroneous assumption that repealing drug laws will lead to an increase in use.

    Yeah, well, if it won't change anything, then leaving it in place is just as effective and I don't have to give money to anyone.
    Just because you're arguing in favor of a specific status quo does not mean you are exempt from defending your position logically. You cannot dismiss my point about the benign nature of repealing drug laws and then use that same rationale to justify keeping them in place.

    That's not a proven system, that's political mantra from some random stranger online.
    It's not a political mantra. It's a feasible and realistic strategy to mitigate drug abuse and crime within impoverished and underdeveloped areas in America. Just because I can't look into a crystal ball and show you with 100% certainty that it will happen does not mean you just made a good point.

    Currently, we waste billions of dollars on prosecuting and incarcerating non-violent drug users (fact). If we cease prosecuting and incarcerating non-violent drug users we can use the money we save to increase police presence in areas most affected by crime (fact). Moreover, we can use money accrued from tax revenue to fund infrastructural improvements within impoverished and underdeveloped areas in America (fact).

    What, exactly, is it that you find unrealistic about this proposal? Do you have any specific objections or are you just going to dismiss it out of hand again?

    SO you admit that I do currently have some level of legal protection. Good. I reject the idea that I should surrender what little protection exists even more.
    You erroneously assume that drug laws are the legal protection to which I'm referring. Last time I checked, police officers still arrest people for loitering, robbery, assault, breaking & entering, trespassing, harassment, etc.. You have a wide array of legal protections already in place.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, you forgot links to back any of that up
    I need a link to back up my assertion that the primary revenue source for street gangs and drug cartels is drug sales?

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Why do they need to be kept off the streets?
    Where's the thread on hard drugs? I'll answer there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    You're erroneously conflating our counter-argument with a justification for our position. We are not trying to repeal drug laws BECAUSE it's benign, that's merely a counter-point to the erroneous assumption that repealing drug laws will lead to an increase in use.

    Just because you're arguing in favor of a specific status quo does not mean you are exempt from defending your position logically. You cannot dismiss my point about the benign nature of repealing drug laws and then use that same rationale to justify keeping them in place.
    My position is to legalize pot. How does repealing all drug bans serve that end better then only legalizing pot itself?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It's not a political mantra.
    It's political mantra.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Currently, we waste billions of dollars on prosecuting and incarcerating non-violent drug users (fact).
    I care about the pot-heads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    If we cease prosecuting and incarcerating non-violent drug users we can use the money we save to increase police presence in areas most affected by crime (fact). Moreover, we can use money accrued from tax revenue to fund infrastructural improvements within impoverished and underdeveloped areas in America (fact).
    Show me the bill dictating this budget.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    What, exactly, is it that you find unrealistic about this proposal? Do you have any specific objections or are you just going to dismiss it out of hand again?
    What proposal? So far I only see your posts. You haven't linked to anything yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    You erroneously assume..
    Nothing.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I need a link to back up my assertion that the primary revenue source for street gangs and drug cartels is drug sales?
    You need to be told?

    After you gleefully link all your best material, I'm going to dismiss everything which is not about pot.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •