Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 308

Thread: Palin says she's not leaving politics

  1. #211
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I believe that the sentiment is that legislation by science is just as bad if not worse than that done by science. Despite the fact that many acts of legislation, especially as it relates to food and drug, are made with science and understanding the interactions. It was then claimed that there needs to be a forced separation of science and state, despite the obvious consequences of destroying the Republic.
    Ah, that makes complete sense...
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #212
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,324

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You think religion got us high rises, penicillin, pasteurization, inoculations, etc? Did religion extend the life span of the human? Has humanity only grown through advancement in religion? Or is the very base of our nature that of science? Have we come this far in such a short amount of time, been to the moon, sent probes into space, understand some of the basics of nature, because we are inclined towards science and have pursued it aggressively ever since we came out of our caves. Hell even then. Most animals don't know how to make a spear, and certainly didn't learn how to make a sling for one in order to take down huge prey.


    Now, you're trying to say that I'm claiming that religion based legislation is better than science based legislation and that's not true. I'm saying that one is just as bad as the other, when it come to using that information to create legislation.

    You want to say "which one is wrong more", well how about "which one is right more" or "which one has advanced and benefited the human race more".
    You're wrong. I think that one is just as full of **** as the other.

    Don't forget, it was science that brought us nuclear weapons, frontal labotomies, snake pits and electro-shock therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Now, you're trying to say that I'm claiming that religion based legislation is better than science based legislation and that's not true.
    Now, I paraphrased you correctly. You said as bad, if not worse than. That's what I paraphrased as well.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #214
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    I see you have no idea about the political climate in Maine. It's even more obvious that you are basing your criticism on 1 vote that both Snowe and Collins crossed the aisle in support of. They aren't RINO's, but if you knew anything about their voting record you would know that. They are moderate Republicans, and they both have an approval rating of around 70%.

    The Republican party isn't happy with them right now because they don't buy into their "You're for us or you're against us" mentality. The problem for the RNC in dealing with them is there isn't any way to unseat them because a comfortable majority of voters in Maine have got the representation we want, and there isn't a damn thing the party can do to change it.

    Though we are known as a liberal state we are also known for being Independent voters. Party affiliation don't play as big a role in our state as you are suggesting. We have had 2 successful Independent governors, so party affiliation isn't a given in the voting booth.

    As for people being uneducated north of Portland, iF don't know anything about politics in Maine, you obviously don't know anything about how educated we are.
    You obviously don't read entire threads before jumping in with stupid criticisms. It's kinda obvious where I live. Angus King sucked as a governor. Where are all the jobs in this state? Oh yeah, kids go to school here and then head on down to Massachusets to work. Look at the insurance problems here. The ridiculous regulations make small business a challenge at best. This state has been mismanaged for decades because either no one's watching or no one knows any better. It's a great place for old people and raising kids. It's not a place to have a career. That is the great failure of the people elected to manage this state.

    And since you live here, you are well aware that there are 2 Maines. Greater Portland vs everywhere else. Mid coast isn't bad. It's beautiful. But if you're not a fisherman, inn keeper, doctor, nurse or restauranteur, there's not a lot else to to support a career.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Ah, that makes complete sense...
    Especially since I messed that up and it should read "legislation by science is just as bad if not worse than that done by religion"
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #216
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're wrong. I think that one is just as full of **** as the other.

    Don't forget, it was science that brought us nuclear weapons, frontal labotomies, snake pits and electro-shock therapy.
    Science also brought us the Polio vaccine, understanding of DNA via the discovery of the double-helix, Quantum Mechanics and massive understanding of life.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #217
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,324

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Science also brought us the Polio vaccine, understanding of DNA via the discovery of the double-helix, Quantum Mechanics and massive understanding of life.
    I'm not rejceting the good things that science has done, just like I'm not rejecting the positive effect that religion has had one our society. However, I feel it's just as bad to base governmental policies on scientific theory as it is to base goevernmental policies on religion. Because, just like religion, there is more than one scientific opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #218
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm not rejceting the good things that science has done, just like I'm not rejecting the positive effect that religion has had one our society. However, I feel it's just as bad to base governmental policies on scientific theory as it is to base goevernmental policies on religion. Because, just like religion, there is more than one scientific opinion.
    Well what would you like them to base policy decisions on? Scientific theory is pretty sound. You do realize that there is a theory of gravity, right?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #219
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,324

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Well what would you like them to base policy decisions on? Scientific theory is pretty sound. You do realize that there is a theory of gravity, right?
    So, we should just take the scientist's word, no matter what the consequences? Should we use science as a reason to limit civil liberties?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #220
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: Palin says she's not leaving politics

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Now, you're trying to say that I'm claiming that religion based legislation is better than science based legislation and that's not true. I'm saying that one is just as bad as the other, when it come to using that information to create legislation.



    You're wrong. I think that one is just as full of **** as the other.

    Don't forget, it was science that brought us nuclear weapons, frontal labotomies, snake pits and electro-shock therapy.
    And don't forget that it was Religion that brought us witch burnings, book burnings, the Spanish Inquisition, the complete extermination of the Arawak Indians, and many other atrocities. Nothing scientific about that at all.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •