Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

  1. #1
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,326

    Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    How ironic is it that these folks call themselves, "People for the American Way"? The, "American Way", is the last thing they represent. This is going to be just like the persecution that Joe the Plumber was subjected to when he excercised his rights. Further proof that Facism is a Leftwing ideology rather than Rightwing.


    WASHINGTON Supporters of Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor are quietly targeting the Connecticut firefighter who's at the center of Sotomayor's most controversial ruling.

    On the eve of Sotomayor's Senate confirmation hearing, her advocates have been urging journalists to scrutinize what one called the "troubled and litigious work history" of firefighter Frank Ricci.

    Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter | McClatchy
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #2
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    let's see why his litigious work history might be of some use:
    ... Senate Republicans have summoned him, along with Lt. Ben Vargas of the New Haven Fire Department, as two of their 14 witnesses next week. ...
    so, he is going to be paraded as a victim of Sotomayor's decision. then, let's also understand the facts of this "victims" troubled work history, which might offer some additional perspective on his testimony


    let us also be clear that it is Sotomayor who is being "targeted"

  3. #3
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,326

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's see why his litigious work history might be of some use:

    so, he is going to be paraded as a victim of Sotomayor's decision. then, let's also understand the facts of this "victims" troubled work history, which might offer some additional perspective on his testimony


    let us also be clear that it is Sotomayor who is being "targeted"
    If someone has a less than perfect work history, it's ok to discriminate against him because of his race?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #4
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If someone has a less than perfect work history, it's ok to discriminate against him because of his race?
    trying to figure out when it is ok to ever discriminate against someone because of their race
    maybe you will tell us those examples

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's see why his litigious work history might be of some use:

    so, he is going to be paraded as a victim of Sotomayor's decision. then, let's also understand the facts of this "victims" troubled work history, which might offer some additional perspective on his testimony


    let us also be clear that it is Sotomayor who is being "targeted"
    Anyone that cites her own latina vagina as the font of her superior judicial wisdom should be a target, shouldn't she?

    How about a member of a racist group?

    How about a member of a sexist group?

    How about a member who rules incorrectly, in favor of racism, on racially charged cases?

    If Federal Circuit Court Justice Joseph W. Hite was a member of the KKK, how would you stand on his appointment?

    Yet, you want to defend a member of La Raza.

    If Judge Joe was a member of a men's only networking club, you'd be all upset. Yet, where are your comments on the Latina Vagina's membership in her all-female club, which she only recently, since her nomination, resigned from?

    If a judge said his all-power white pecker gave him special insights into the cases he adjudicates, you'd be all upset.

    If he acquited James Earl Ray, what would you say?


    Give us some honest answers.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's see why his litigious work history might be of some use:

    so, he is going to be paraded as a victim of Sotomayor's decision. then, let's also understand the facts of this "victims" troubled work history, which might offer some additional perspective on his testimony

    let us also be clear that it is Sotomayor who is being "targeted"
    Even if Ricci were the most combative, litigious soul alive, none of that has relevance to the facts of Ricci v DeStefano. Ricci studied for the exam that was to be the basis for promotion; Ricci passed the exam and, by the published parameters of the exam, earned promotion; Ricci was denied promotion because no black firefighters earned promotion.

    Moreover, the relevant argument is not Ricci's character, nor Ricci's work history, nor even Sotomayor's character per se. The relevant argument is that Sotomayor, a sitting appellate judge, failed in her judicial duty to examine the law and to elucidate the proper application of the law to the facts put forward at the original trial. The criticism of Sotomayor in Ricci v DeStefano is not that she ruled against Ricci, but, by issuing a mere summary opinion, she and her fellow judges in essence failed to rule at all.

    Judges who fear to tackle the issues of law laid before them of a certainty have no place on the Supreme Court.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    When I searched for new posts, I saw this right next to the "Gay Military" thread. :\

  8. #8
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Even if Ricci were the most combative, litigious soul alive, none of that has relevance to the facts of Ricci v DeStefano. Ricci studied for the exam that was to be the basis for promotion; Ricci passed the exam and, by the published parameters of the exam, earned promotion; Ricci was denied promotion because no black firefighters earned promotion.

    Moreover, the relevant argument is not Ricci's character, nor Ricci's work history, nor even Sotomayor's character per se. The relevant argument is that Sotomayor, a sitting appellate judge, failed in her judicial duty to examine the law and to elucidate the proper application of the law to the facts put forward at the original trial. The criticism of Sotomayor in Ricci v DeStefano is not that she ruled against Ricci, but, by issuing a mere summary opinion, she and her fellow judges in essence failed to rule at all.

    Judges who fear to tackle the issues of law laid before them of a certainty have no place on the Supreme Court.
    close, but no guitar

    Sotomayor applied the precedent of "adverse impact" to the case. the EEO regulations provide a standard that if 4/5 of the test scores exclude the minority population then that is prima facie evidence that the test was flawed

    that is how the case was rendered when it came to her. she refused to legislate from the bench, but instead followed the law

    the SC then made the (correct) decision that the EEO regs cannot trump the application of common sense when deciding these matters. at the SC level, that finding was appropriate. but not at a lower level. Sotomayor did her job properly in applying precedent and regulation. the SC did its job well in revising how the law would hereafter be interperted

  9. #9
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,326

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    close, but no guitar

    Sotomayor applied the precedent of "adverse impact" to the case. the EEO regulations provide a standard that if 4/5 of the test scores exclude the minority population then that is prima facie evidence that the test was flawed

    that is how the case was rendered when it came to her. she refused to legislate from the bench, but instead followed the law

    the SC then made the (correct) decision that the EEO regs cannot trump the application of common sense when deciding these matters. at the SC level, that finding was appropriate. but not at a lower level. Sotomayor did her job properly in applying precedent and regulation. the SC did its job well in revising how the law would hereafter be interperted

    The law is flawed, not the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #10
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Sotomayor backers urge reporters to probe New Haven firefighter

    The first time I read this thread a couple of minutes ago, I thought to myself, "Why are HACKERS getting involved in a Supreme Court nomination process, and why is the press mentioning them in the headline?"

    This is what I get for reading DP without glasses and before I finish my coffee.

    Carry on.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •