Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm saying he should be beaten because he's a former member of the United States armed services and he should know better. I don't expect someone like you to unerstand.
    I am retired Army, why wouldn't I understand. He shouldn't be beaten for exercising his first amendment rights.

    I don't agree with flag desecration, but it his every right to and shouldn't be beaten for it.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 07-11-09 at 12:37 PM.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,955

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I am retired Army, why wouldn't I understand. He shouldn't be beaten for exercising his first amendment rights.

    I don't agree with flag desecration, but it his every right to and shouldn't be beaten for it.
    Thank you for your service.

    Well, your Liberal politics must have clouded your thinking. Besides, my comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else, so relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,051

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    The 1st Amendment doesn't over-rule Federal law in this case. It's illegal to fly the flag upside-down, unless it's to signal an emergency.
    In that case he should have just set it on fire.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  4. #14
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    An important piece of the puzzle is missing from the first flag incident in the OP. No mention of why he was denied. It sounds odd that someone would wait until they spent the money this guy did before he had a liquor licence in his hand. I would think that would be a top priority before construction.
    I would tend to disagree. I don't really care why he was denied. I don't actually care a bit about his liquor license.

    What I care about is that his rights were violated on the eve of of (irony of ironies) Independence Day, because the cops wanted the place to appeal to visitors.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #15
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The 1st Amendment doesn't over-rule Federal law in this case. It's illegal to fly the flag upside-down, unless it's to signal an emergency. Not getting one's way in a licensing procedure isn't an emergency. They dhould have beat him with a rubber hose a little, because he's a vet and should show a little more maturity than your average bear.
    Um, where Federal law and the Constitution disagree, the Constitution overrules Federal law in all cases.

    Just saying.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #16
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes it can. Can you yell fire in a crowded building?
    No, because the Supreme Court issued an interpretation of the Constitution that said you can't. That's not the same thing as Federal law trumping the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Was the guy in a bind and needed help, or was he just being pissy because he didn't get his liquor license? If he can't figure out how to run a resturant without a liquor license, then he probably doesn't need to be in the resturant business, anyway.
    Who cares why he did it? The why of it doesn't determine what he has a right to do.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #17
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm saying he should be beaten because he's a former member of the United States armed services and he should know better. I don't expect someone like you to unerstand.
    I guess it's a good thing you aren't in a position of authority, then.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #18
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes it can. Can you yell fire in a crowded building?
    yes. That is the best way to inform others that a fire has broken out.

    But more importantly, if congress passes a law stating you can't yell fire, it doesn't trump the 1st amendment.

    The reason some can get in trouble is because if you engage in fraud, and it harms people, you are responsible for the damage done.

    This straw man in no way applies to the situation at hand. An upside down flag is not the bat signal, or like yelling fire in a theater.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    There has to be more to this story.

    I mean, how do you get denied a liquor liscence in Wisconsin? Seriously?
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,955

    Re: Dispute over flag protest erupts in Wisc. village

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    There has to be more to this story.

    I mean, how do you get denied a liquor liscence in Wisconsin? Seriously?
    Yeah, no kiddin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •