Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 203

Thread: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

  1. #71
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Don't know how you get to this particular conclusion. Capitalism is based on economic law, supply and demand, this does not exclude labor. When government mandates labors minimal value by social law it essentially invalidates the advantages of free market capitalism by assigning a value that is not in reality what some labor is worth.
    Real world example here: I am contemplating starting a drum company in my home state and would love to make a superior product at a less than custom cost, and would love to have a team of people to drill-paint-and assemble the sets, assembling of the sets is the easist part, employee takes a screwdriver, puts the lug assembly into it's pre-drilled place, and screws it in. Is THAT worth 7/hr? No, it isn't as I can do about 10-20 myself without paying anything extra, sorry high school kid who wanted a fun job, I don't need you for what your value is assessed at, At worst I'll have a paint department and assign full assemblage duties to the driller, he will get less sets built in an hour by far, but, I only have to pay one employee past minimum wage and I am still saving money from an overpaid screwdriver jockey.
    You can't have cake and cream. You want to start a business but you can't afford to pay reasonable wages. You are basically saying that you need more labour than you can pay for. Conclusion: your business isn't really viable. And that's a shame, but it's the harsh reality of a system which actually doesn't work.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  2. #72
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,442

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    You can't have cake and cream. You want to start a business but you can't afford to pay reasonable wages. You are basically saying that you need more labour than you can pay for. Conclusion: your business isn't really viable. And that's a shame, but it's the harsh reality of a system which actually doesn't work.
    Do you have your own business?
    Thank you

  3. #73
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    Do you have your own business?
    No I don't
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  4. #74
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    You can't have cake and cream.
    Yes, you can, if you are the one taking the risk and putting your financial well being on the line.
    You want to start a business but you can't afford to pay reasonable wages.
    Who said anything about can't, it's my business, thus my risk alone, this means creditors have to be paid, taxes and liabilities have to be met, materials have to be bought, and sales have to be made, all the while employees get paid whether I make a dime personally or not, sorry, it's not as simple as "if you can't afford to pay.......etc."
    You are basically saying that you need more labour than you can pay for.
    No, I am saying that I need more labor for efficiency, but will settle for inefficiency to make a profit AND give the customer base a better price, so, if someone wants the screwdriver job, too bad, they are not worth what they would have to be paid.
    Conclusion: your business isn't really viable. And that's a shame, but it's the harsh reality of a system which actually doesn't work.
    Please enlighten me with some actual economic fact instead of your opinion.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #75
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    No I don't
    Yeah, I think we all figured that out.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #76
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    What is crazy is how the capitalist system is what made this country the worlds only superpower with the largest economy but lots of people love to talk about how it doesnt work. kind of strange dont you think

  7. #77
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, I am saying that I need more labor for efficiency, but will settle for inefficiency to make a profit .
    Yet another example of how the system doesn't work. You have to accept ineffciency to be viable.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Please enlighten me with some actual economic fact instead of your opinion.

    You have admitted yourself that some businesses can't function unless they pay charity wages. In some cases that's not true, as fatcat bosses walk away with big bonuses while people below slog away for next to nothing under the threat of "it's piss poor wages or no job at all" In the case of businesses who really will go bust if they don't pay poverty wages, that is a symptom of a system that doesn't work. You are basically saying that there will always have to be people in poverty on crap wages in order for this system to be propped up - that to me is failure. You want proof that capitalism doesn't work? Look around you at the current crisis. How many honest hard-working people in your country lost their homes? "The market will regulate itself" they told us - look at the **** they've landed us in.
    Last edited by Urethra Franklin; 07-11-09 at 10:34 PM.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  8. #78
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Yeah, I think we all figured that out.
    And you have a failing one so it seems. Hmmm.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  9. #79
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    What is crazy is how the capitalist system is what made this country the worlds only superpower with the largest economy but lots of people love to talk about how it doesnt work. kind of strange dont you think
    Only superpower? China is overtaking you.
    Imperialist superpower with years of arrogance in foreign policy behind it. Great achievement!

    World's largest economy, with how many in poverty? How many of your citizens have no jobs and no health coverage? Yet you've got the means to lift these people out of poverty. It's your system that doesn't work.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  10. #80
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    Yet another example of how the system doesn't work. You have to accept ineficiency to be viable.
    You're not exactly getting this are you, I can run at maximum efficiency and survive, but am not taking a cut in my profits for a person to be employed as a screwdriver operator, so the person remains unemployed and someone else has to do more work. I could lighten that person's burden but it's my idea, my ass on the line, and mine to fail alone, so I am so sorry that maybe I want some return on that, as is my right in a capitalist economy.




    You have admitted yourself that some businesses can't function unless they pay charity wages.
    That you are seeing this is speaking volumes about you, businesses have to see a return that is worth the prices paid, anything less is viable, but not preferable.
    In some cases that's not true, as fatcat bosses walk away with big bonuses while people below slog away for next to nothing under the threat of "it's piss poor wages or no job at all" In the case of businesses who really will go bust if they don't pay poverty wages, that is a symptom of a system that doesn't work.
    Again, overly emotional crap with no facts to back it up.
    You are basically saying that there will always have to be people in poverty on crap wages in order for this system to be propped up - that to me is failure.
    It's not system failure, it's personal failure, which the system accounts for, so it works, if you want to better your situation, if you are content to live at low wages and not try harder, your problem.......ALONE.
    You want prrof that capitalism doesn't work? Look around you at the current crisis.
    It's not capitalism, try again, it's a socialist/capitalist hybrid and the capitalist part isn't what is failing.
    Look around you at the current crisis. How many honest hard-working people in your country lost their homes? "The market will regulate itself" they told us - look at the **** they've landed us in.
    Your economic ignorance is showing, at what part of this economy was the market left alone, TARP 1, the Stimulus package, talk of a third spending bill, or FANNIE MAE/FREDDY MAC?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •