Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 108

Thread: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

  1. #81
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, that's exactly what you said. You said that you're, "capable of rational and unbiased thought". Want me to link that? Or can we agree that that's exactly what you said? Ok, now, you're making that claim to convince me that you would never make an uninformed, politically motived, monetarily motivated, rational, unbiased decison on anything. Well, we can only take your word for that. You have no way to prove that.
    I am very capable of rational and unbiased thought. That was in reference to your deflect against my arguments that separation of science and state is ridiculous when I told you I am a scientist. You used that line to ignore my argument that government needs science, and that government uses science. That was the base premise of argument, you keep trying to change things because I highlighted the absurdity of your "separation of science and state" comment.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #82
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Noooo, science is political! Why hell no!

    They already pay the most when it comes to taxes, and if a group of scientists have their way, the wealthy could soon be on the hook for their greenhouse emissions, too.

    It's a plan that's being floated in an article in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, which suggests an easy way around the ongoing debate between rich and poor nations about who should bear the brunt of having to reduce carbon dioxide emissions is to shift the focus to the number of rich people a country has.

    The idea is that rich folks throw off more greenhouse gases because they're more likely to drive gas guzzlers, travel more frequently by airplane and live in large homes that require more energy to heat and cool. As such, countries with higher concentrations of wealthy people would be subject to carbon emission targets.

    "You're distributing the task of doing something about emissions reduction based on the proportion of the population in the country that's actually doing the most damage," Princeton Environment Institute's Shoibal Chakravarty, one of the study's authors, told Reuters.

    PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES ARTICLE SUGGESTS RICH COUNTRIES HELP REDUCE EMISSIONS - New York Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #83
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    From NASA:

    Originally posted Dec. 16, 2008, with meteorological year data. Updated Jan. 13, 2009, with calendar year data.

    Calendar year 2008 was the coolest year since 2000, according to the Goddard Institute for Space Studies analysis [see ref. 1] of surface air temperature measurements. In our analysis, 2008 is the ninth warmest year in the period of instrumental measurements, which extends back to 1880 (left panel of Fig. 1). The ten warmest years all occur within the 12-year period 1997-2008. The two-standard-deviation (95% confidence) uncertainty in comparing recent years is estimated as 0.05C [ref. 2], so we can only conclude with confidence that 2008 was somewhere within the range from 7th to 10th warmest year in the record.


    Data @ NASA GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: 2008 Annual Summation


    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  4. #84
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I am very capable of rational and unbiased thought. That was in reference to your deflect against my arguments that separation of science and state is ridiculous when I told you I am a scientist. You used that line to ignore my argument that government needs science, and that government uses science. That was the base premise of argument, you keep trying to change things because I highlighted the absurdity of your "separation of science and state" comment.

    And, you would be just as supportive of religion if you were a Methodist preacher, too.

    As if you're going to agree with me that science and state politics should be seperated. You believe science is the know all, end all grab bag of answers to everything wrong with the world.

    It's completely assinine to suggest that politics should be intermingled with science. Political decisions based on science is as bad, if not worse, than political decisions based on religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #85
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    We;ve gone up 3/10 of a degree in 120 years? Well, I'm convinced we're doomed. How 'bout everyone else? hell, let's just pack it up and go home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Political decisions based on science is as bad, if not worse, than political decisions based on religion.
    And that's an absurd comment, as I have already demonstrated government needs and uses science for its own technologies and for proper regulation of certain industries. The government is intertwined with science, it can be no other way. Less you want to argue that we shouldn't have the military, medical, safety, etc. technologies that we presently do. If that's the case, I would argue that your point is extremely dangerous and would unnecessarily open the US up to attack militarily and economically. Not to mention drastically shorten the life spans of people and subject them to dangerous disease, infection, and outbreak which could otherwise be controlled through proper medical technologies.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    From NASA:

    Originally posted Dec. 16, 2008, with meteorological year data. Updated Jan. 13, 2009, with calendar year data.

    Calendar year 2008 was the coolest year since 2000, according to the Goddard Institute for Space Studies analysis [see ref. 1] of surface air temperature measurements. In our analysis, 2008 is the ninth warmest year in the period of instrumental measurements, which extends back to 1880 (left panel of Fig. 1). The ten warmest years all occur within the 12-year period 1997-2008. The two-standard-deviation (95% confidence) uncertainty in comparing recent years is estimated as 0.05C [ref. 2], so we can only conclude with confidence that 2008 was somewhere within the range from 7th to 10th warmest year in the record.


    Data @ NASA GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: 2008 Annual Summation


    When a theory predicts an unceasing rise in global temperatures and temperatures begin to decrease the theory has failed. A picture is worth a thousand words:



    The purple lines represent the predictions of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the red line represents the actual temperatures. The theory has failed, it's right in front of your eyes.

  8. #88
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And that's an absurd comment, as I have already demonstrated government needs and uses science for its own technologies and for proper regulation of certain industries. The government is intertwined with science, it can be no other way. Less you want to argue that we shouldn't have the military, medical, safety, etc. technologies that we presently do. If that's the case, I would argue that your point is extremely dangerous and would unnecessarily open the US up to attack militarily and economically. Not to mention drastically shorten the life spans of people and subject them to dangerous disease, infection, and outbreak which could otherwise be controlled through proper medical technologies.
    So far, crap science has cost this country billions and will cost us billions more. Obviously, there's a place for science, but intertwining science and government isn't that place.

    it's almost as if you saying that our faith in science will get us killed. That was the religious mindset for hundreds of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So far, crap science has cost this country billions and will cost us billions more. Obviously, there's a place for science, but intertwining science and government isn't that place.

    it's almost as if you saying that our faith in science will get us killed. That was the religious mindset for hundreds of years.
    This is absurd, unbacked claim on your part. I have not alluded to in the least that our "faith in science will get us killed". That's a blatant lie and distortion of truth on your part. Science has overall created MUCH more benefit than "harm". It has expanded our life spans, it has allowed us to keep food longer, to develop medicine, to create vehicles which are safer, to produce many luxuries such as cell phone technology used by many people every day. Government further needs science to keep on the cutting edge of technologies and to ensure our military is always the best in the world. Billions of dollars? Maybe over a many year period, fine. But it's not the biggest section of the funding pie, not by a long shot. Government wants and needs science for our military, for our economy, for our medical technologies, for the convenience of the People themselves.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Greenpeace activists arrested for banner on Mount Rushmore

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I already did and all the personal attacks in th world isn't going to change that.
    No, you posted Opinion Pieces not factual reporting. So, you HAVE NOT posted any FACTS to back up your statements. Want to try again?

    Also, now that you've accused me of attacking you personally, would you mind showing me exactly what I said that was a personal attack. Do you understand the meaning of "giving you benefit of the doubt."?

    I clearly said that I don't think you're stupid, but, in a rush to post something, anything to back up your claims, you posted Op-Ed pieces. It happens.

    However, now I'm giving you an opportunity to save face and post something that backs up your claims...

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How much money do those groups stand to make from global warming grants? Is it millions, or billions?

    There's more cash involved with global warming research than there is in the oil and gas industry.
    Just kindly back that statement up with some LINKS TO FACTS and I will be more than happy to review those facts. Again, this is your opportunity to prove that what you said is true. Will you take that opportunity?
    Last edited by hazlnut; 07-09-09 at 08:11 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •