Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 83

Thread: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    The issue I see is that the basic science and the technology are too immature, too poorly understood for it to be ethical to be experimenting on humans at this stage.

    When the issues of premature aging, birth defects, disease susceptibility, etc etc are resolved via experimentation with the appropriate animals, then and only then would it be ethical to move to experimentation with human volunteers....and the experimenting labs would have be carefully monitored because living experiments that "fail" are still humans, and that lab is responsible for the lifetime care and support of their mistakes when they begin playing with human development.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The issue I see is that the basic science and the technology are too immature, too poorly understood for it to be ethical to be experimenting on humans at this stage.

    When the issues of premature aging, birth defects, disease susceptibility, etc etc are resolved via experimentation with the appropriate animals, then and only then would it be ethical to move to experimentation with human volunteers....and the experimenting labs would have be carefully monitored because living experiments that "fail" are still humans, and that lab is responsible for the lifetime care and support of their mistakes when they begin playing with human development.
    I think that's a great point.

    Playing with science just because you can and not analyzing the long term impact of the results is a poor way to innovate.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think that's a great point.

    Playing with science just because you can and not analyzing the long term impact of the results is a poor way to innovate.
    The god damned geeks are hunting Nobel Prizes and they don't care who they hurt to get them. Scientists are some of the most vicious people in the world.

  4. #24
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The god damned geeks are hunting Nobel Prizes and they don't care who they hurt to get them. Scientists are some of the most vicious people in the world.
    I think that may be going a little extreme, but it is true that there are some that are only looking for something to market, so that they may recieve funding and recognition. But, as far as vicious, I have not met many I would describe that way. The problem is that many get fixated on the empirical questions, and do not give enough thought to the ethical implications. In fact many come to regret that to which they give life. Robert Oppenheimer is a great example. After overseeing the creation of the U.S.'s atomic bomb and witnessing the consequences, he worked the rest of his life to lobby the government to abandon the weapon.
    Last edited by tlmorg02; 07-08-09 at 03:09 PM.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The god damned geeks are hunting Nobel Prizes and they don't care who they hurt to get them. Scientists are some of the most vicious people in the world.
    I'm a science geek myself but your going to find a lot of problems with our current researchers because of federal funding grants and the like that can give money to any pie in the sky retard with an idea.

    Ethics is science is important but as tlmorg has said, that kind of thinking is waning.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #26
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The god damned geeks are hunting Nobel Prizes and they don't care who they hurt to get them. Scientists are some of the most vicious people in the world.
    I don't think it's that so much as their level of ethical sophistication is not measured in accord with the level of power/responsibility they wield. But then again, I'm not sure what group of people would be. Mankind in general lags morally behind their technological prowess.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveUninhibited View Post
    I don't think it's that so much as their level of ethical sophistication is not measured in accord with the level of power/responsibility they wield. But then again, I'm not sure what group of people would be. Mankind in general lags morally behind their technological prowess.
    I'm personally in favor of liberalizing scientific research back to an individual level as it used to be. Lifting bans on chemicals, lab ware etc.

    Overall you are right though, I think that most of those ethic problems stem from the institutions that fund the programs, like governments, private industries et all.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #28
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Never have needed men to reproduce. Only their sperm. Now we don't even need that. ****ing fantastic.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Never have needed men to reproduce. Only their sperm. Now we don't even need that. ****ing fantastic.
    NO!
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Ethical storm flares as British scientists create artificial sperm

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Never have needed men to reproduce. Only their sperm. Now we don't even need that. ****ing fantastic.
    Yeah but where is the fun in that? My gal happens to enjoy moi

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •