Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 128 of 128

Thread: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

  1. #121
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    What I'm getting at is that they are intertwined, I may not be making a clear argument, but the idea of the constitution was specifically to limit the size of government, as a small government is relatively powerless against the states, but strong enough to defend the union against outside forces, however a large, powerfull government can enact it's will whenever the mood strikes, especially with a unified tri-lateral power structure of single-party majority in the legislative, executive, and judicial, we have been at 3:3 and 2:3 for over two decades now and are seeing the rapid expansion of federal power because of this.
    My point overall is that big government leads less rights, and the constitution was set up to prevent the government from getting to......well......where it is at currently.
    You're still trying to make a discussion about pure organizational size about ideology.

    I understand that you think that the millitary is more legitimate, however the reality is that it easily creates just as much bureaucracy and government spending as social programs.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  2. #122
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The drinking age is a Right wing deal? That passed back in the days of the 50 year Dem Congress.

    The other two aren't really invasive. Is this all you have? None of them are really, "social programs".

    How 'bout gun control? Now, there's an invasive social program. That one belongs to the Libbos.
    And the Democrats aren't campaigning on "small government" are they.

    Federal drinking age was Ronald Reagans baby.

    Pretty obvious infringement of states rights.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  3. #123
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    You're still trying to make a discussion about pure organizational size about ideology.
    I'm being ideologically neutral in this case, the constitution states explicitly what the government has a right to do, if we limit things to this scope and only this scope for the sake of social versus military then we can easily see that it isn't an argument about opinion, but stated law and the legitimate scope of government spending.

    I understand that you think that the millitary is more legitimate, however the reality is that it easily creates just as much bureaucracy and government spending as social programs.
    I'm not arguing that military spending is immune to waste and bureaucracy as that would be an indefensible position, anywhere there is government these days there is waste, fraud, and theft, it would be illogical to deny that, where we are at is that legitimacy is not my opinion, it's what is stated, this is fact.

    U.S. CONSTITUTION
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #124
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,594

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    And the Democrats aren't campaigning on "small government" are they.

    Federal drinking age was Ronald Reagans baby.

    Pretty obvious infringement of states rights.
    I don't agreee with the Minimum Drinking Age Act, that was written by a Democrat, but I have to ask: Is this all you have in the category of, "invasive social programs"?

    Do you really want to do a comparison between Dems and Reps on invasive social programs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #125
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't agreee with the Minimum Drinking Age Act, that was written by a Democrat, but I have to ask: Is this all you have in the category of, "invasive social programs"?

    Do you really want to do a comparison between Dems and Reps on invasive social programs?
    Democrats don't run on the ticket of "small government" so the criticism isn't applicable. Kind of like how it's not hypocritical for Democrats to get caught in sex scandals because they don't run on "family values".

    The Reality is that not a single Republican president since WWII has ever reduced the size of government.

    Eisenhower created the single greatest public works project in history (the creation of the highways) and wantonly expanded the President's ability to make war.

    Nixon instituted price and wage controls and created the War on Drugs.

    Reagan brought Christian morality into government and furthered the War on Drugs while ramping up spending.

    Both Bushs conducted war on semi-constitutional basis and exploded spending.

    The Republicans have always been just as much about spending and government programs as the Democrats.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  6. #126
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,594

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    Democrats don't run on the ticket of "small government" so the criticism isn't applicable. Kind of like how it's not hypocritical for Democrats to get caught in sex scandals because they don't run on "family values".
    They don't hold themselves to any kind of real standard, therefore when they screw the pooch they can say it's ok, as if to say, "you knew this about us when you voted for us". Kinda like Edwin Edwards here in Louisiana when he said, "yeah, I'm a crook, but at least I'm honest about it".

    Eisenhower created the single greatest public works project in history (the creation of the highways) and wantonly expanded the President's ability to make war.
    Let's see, put people to work, created an infrastructure to allow our military to rapidly deploy anywhere in teh country in the event of an invasion and gave the president more power to protect the nation. How is this invasive?

    Nixon instituted price and wage controls and created the War on Drugs.
    FDR was the first to institute price and wage controls. And how is the War on Drugs bad? How 'bout that war on poverty that LBJ started? Has that 11 trillion dollars stopped anything?

    Reagan brought Christian morality into government
    Oh, the horror!!!

    The Republicans have always been just as much about spending and government programs as the Democrats.

    That's not true and you know it. Who passed the smoking legislation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #127
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They don't hold themselves to any kind of real standard, therefore when they screw the pooch they can say it's ok, as if to say, "you knew this about us when you voted for us". Kinda like Edwin Edwards here in Louisiana when he said, "yeah, I'm a crook, but at least I'm honest about it".



    Let's see, put people to work, created an infrastructure to allow our military to rapidly deploy anywhere in teh country in the event of an invasion and gave the president more power to protect the nation. How is this invasive?



    FDR was the first to institute price and wage controls. And how is the War on Drugs bad? How 'bout that war on poverty that LBJ started? Has that 11 trillion dollars stopped anything?



    Oh, the horror!!!




    That's not true and you know it. Who passed the smoking legislation?
    So your argument is that if the Democrats did something first it's not "big government".
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  8. #128
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 04:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Franken sworn in as Minnesota senator

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    So your argument is that if the Democrats did something first it's not "big government".
    funny sig BTW

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •