Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 321

Thread: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

  1. #31
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    BBC NEWS | Americas | Bush sets case as 'war president'

    Proving your lies is like playing against Easy AI. Come on, is that all you got?



    Wait, how far are you going to move the goal posts in your dishonesty?


    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    I don't recall "defending" Saddam Hussein, and you are lying when you say "Bush did not want to be a "War president". You are also lying when you say there was "mountains of evidence". Even the UN inspectors suspected there were no WMD, and they had no vast intelligence service to provide information, only on-site inspection. Bush may have been fooled by Cheney, and you may have been fooled but hey, that's a slam dunk.


    You are lying when you post that quote as of course after the war started, he became a "War president"...


    The lie you were trying to weasle out of neccitates you proving that bush "WANTED" to be a war president.


    FAIL
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Even the UN inspectors suspected there were no WMD, and they had no vast intelligence service to provide information, only on-site inspection.
    Really you sure you want to go with that statement huhBecause not all of us Inspectors felt the same way as are so-called leadership. Hell Mr. Blix was never in Country nor did he every actually sit down and talk to each Team on a one on one which was required by the UN.

    Hell up to 24Hours before we finally left we were trying to get Mr Blix to put more pressure on Saddam so he would let us into 14 site's but no Mr. Blix just sat back and made public statement's about Saddam.

    Allot of things could have been done different back in 1999 when he(Saddam) first started stopping us from going into sites. But then again know one gave a rat's arse about what was going on in Iraq at the time.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Why are you people ignoring the most obvious element of all this?

    Saddam was a paranoid nut job, that he feared Iran more then a US Invasion shows how irrational he was. To avoid the war, was a simple matter of letting the US know, that the WMD stuff was BS. That's all he had to do.

    But he didn't, and there was more then Iran in it, he feared losing control in Iraq, he wasn't Mr. Popular afterall.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,160

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post

    Just shows that this war could have been avoided, if only the UN was given a few more months by the US, Saddam would have been found weak and we could have used his fear of the Iranians to press him into more democratic policies in exchange for "a security agreement", meanwhile focusing on the real problem - Iran.
    Words like naive, ignorance, and assumption jump to mind while reading that statement.

    Saddam thumbed his nose at the UN for over a decade, and a few more months would have made a difference? Please. The UN is a sad joke.

    Nearly half the members of the General Assembly represent nations whose governments have more in common with the Iraqi Baathist regime than with the representative-democracy of the west... and we're to consider the UN a force for good, a competent leader in diplomacy? The UN's record demonstrates no such capacity.

    Saddam had used WMD in the past, on the Iranians and Kurds; he had sought nuclear capacity in the past; these things are known facts. It was not an unreasonable belief that this condition was ongoing, and virtually every leader in the West proclaimed their belief of same at some point.

    Also, you simply assume everything Saddam said is true?

    I have a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you.


    As to whether it was worth it to bring democracy to Iraq, we'll have to wait a while to see if that's true, yes. Still, Saddam and the Baathists were a brutal and repressive regime who tormented their own people and threatened all their neighbors... their fall is nothing to regret. At least the US, UK and company DID something instead of doing what the UN does ( all talk but almost never any competent action. )




    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #35
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Words like naive, ignorance, and assumption jump to mind while reading that statement.
    Yea your comments do make me think that.

    Saddam thumbed his nose at the UN for over a decade, and a few more months would have made a difference? Please. The UN is a sad joke.
    As have tons of other nations, like Israel but the common thread has been a "protector" in a member with a veto vote. Now we can discuss if the UN is a "sad joke" in another thread but you should get your facts right.

    Nearly half the members of the General Assembly represent nations whose governments have more in common with the Iraqi Baathist regime than with the representative-democracy of the west... and we're to consider the UN a force for good, a competent leader in diplomacy? The UN's record demonstrates no such capacity.
    The General assembly have very little power in such matters and you know that. All it takes is one of the 5 powers to throw the veto card in and that is that. As for pissing up and down on every nation in the world that is in the UN.. nice job. Plus you, like many Americans, seem to forget what the UN is.. it is not a global policeman, never was, never will be under the current charter. The UN's record in taking leadership in diplomacy is limited not because of the UN, but again by the 5 veto carrying members who basically run the joint when it comes to such matters. The UN can not do jack **** if not all 5 veto members agree, and that they do rarely. And there is no requirement for democracy to be a member of the UN nore should it be, since what standards do you set.

    Saddam had used WMD in the past, on the Iranians and Kurds; he had sought nuclear capacity in the past; these things are known facts. It was not an unreasonable belief that this condition was ongoing, and virtually every leader in the West proclaimed their belief of same at some point.
    Yes Saddam had used WMD.. So had the Germans, French, Brits and the US. Your point being? The North Koreans have death camps where they practice infanticide. The regime in Burma and Sudan wiping out minorities left a right. There are many bad governments in the world, and it is all comes down to what litmus test you use on the respective country.

    We also already knew in 1995 that the whole WMD program had been dismantled in accordance to the UN deal after the first gulf war. Why? Because the head of the program defected to the west. This little fact, was conveniently ignored by the Bush administration and the "pro war" crowd, along with a bunch other signs. Considering that the US had next to no on the ground intelligence and based everything on rumor and spy satellite information, then calling **** "slam dunk" is not only arrogant but stupid.. as we now know.

    Also, you simply assume everything Saddam said is true?
    I highly doubt he does, but like normal thinking people, he most likely gathered the relevant information and placed them up against each other. Things like motive of both sides, other regional factors (Iran) and historical fact. Anyone with half a brain and just basic knowledge to the area, knew that Saddam's biggest fear was not the US.. it was Iran.

    But let me ask you this.. do you believe everything the Bush administration said?

    As to whether it was worth it to bring democracy to Iraq, we'll have to wait a while to see if that's true, yes. Still, Saddam and the Baathists were a brutal and repressive regime who tormented their own people and threatened all their neighbors... their fall is nothing to regret. At least the US, UK and company DID something instead of doing what the UN does ( all talk but almost never any competent action. )
    Yea you wasted trillions of dollars, killed almost 5000 of your own people for what? To give Iran more power? You have not implemented democracy, and everyone knows as soon as the US leaves, that the present "rulers" will either go Saddam's way or be lynched. Then there will be a civil war between tribes/sects unless they can unite and first drive the Kurds into the ground. The whole exercise has done nothing to help the Iraqies, and in reality will most likely cost more lives than Saddam every could dream of taking and in the end the Mullahs in Iran will win.
    PeteEU

  6. #36
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    I think it is good that the truth of the matter has fully come to light. However, the action has been taken and I hope that Iraq becomes a strong beacon of democracy in the Middle East. I also hope that we learn from the Iraq conflict that military attacks are not always needed, and should never be rushed, in this modern world.

    Some times military intervention is a needed, like Darfur, which is not recieving any. Yet, there are times where other pressures will work just as well. And we should never forget the power and potential of good negotiation. Where have the good negotiators gone?

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,160

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post

    Yea you wasted trillions of dollars, killed almost 5000 of your own people for what?
    We also sacrificed tens of thousands of men so that YOU didn't grow up under the Third Reich. Was that a waste?

    You have not implemented democracy, and everyone knows as soon as the US leaves, that the present "rulers" will either go Saddam's way or be lynched. Then there will be a civil war between tribes/sects unless they can unite and first drive the Kurds into the ground. The whole exercise has done nothing to help the Iraqies, and in reality will most likely cost more lives than Saddam every could dream of taking and in the end the Mullahs in Iran will win.

    Remains to be seen. May go one way, may go another. Neither you nor I know at this point. Don't use your crystal ball to play the stock market, not sure that'd work well for you.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #38
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,463

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    everyone knows as soon as the US leaves.
    The US will never fully leave that region now that a foothold has been a established. Count on it regardless of what MSNBC tells you. History bears this prediction out on numberous occasions. Also the recent construction and expansion of nearly 2 dozen heavy bases.

    I doubt even the drawdown will ever go below 25000. Even now after the "US leaves" news cycle over 130k + support staff are present in the region.
    Last edited by akyron; 07-03-09 at 01:54 PM.
    Thank you

  9. #39
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    "By God, if I had such weapons, I would have used them in the fight against the United States," Hussein told Mr Piro.
    I for one am glad we are rid of this maniac.

  10. #40
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Yay and then Saddam could still be in power and still sponsoring terrorism against U.S. interests.
    And threatening Israel.

    But if we hadn't acted to take away the threat to Israel Israel would have acted on it's own.

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post
    Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran' - Yahoo! News UK

    Just shows that this war could have been avoided, if only the UN was given a few more months by the US, Saddam would have been found weak and we could have used his fear of the Iranians to press him into more democratic policies in exchange for "a security agreement", meanwhile focusing on the real problem - Iran.
    How long do you allow for a mad dictator to hold suspected WMD's to Israel's neck before the dictator uses them or Israel says, "ENOUGH!"?

    OBL 11/24/02

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •