Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 321

Thread: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

  1. #301
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Again: Suggestive interpretation.

    Nothing that I read heard or saw from anyone in the administration led me to anythig close to the conclusion that Iraq was involved in 9-11.

    Given the statements that were made, I cannot imagine how anyone with any mastery of the English language could reach such a conclusion.
    Transcript from Meet the Press, 2003
    RUSSERT: The Washington Post asked the American people about Saddam Hussein, and this is what they said: 69 percent said he was involved in the September 11 attacks. Are you surprised by that?

    CHENEY: No. I think it's not surprising that people make that connection.

    RUSSERT: But is there a connection?

    CHENEY: We don't know. You and I talked about this two years ago. I can remember you asking me this question just a few days after the original attack. At the time I said no, we didn't have any evidence of that. Subsequent to that, we've learned a couple of things.
    So, are you saying no connection was made because the Vice President didn't specifically say it, and that everyone should have realized his innuendo was false?

  2. #302
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There I go, what?
    I dont see a quote from anyone here, especially not Bush/Cheney.
    This is what everyone is talking about:

    MR. RUSSERT: The Washington Post asked the American people about Saddam Hussein, and this is what they said: 69 percent said he was involved in the September 11 attacks. Are you surprised by that?

    VICE PRES. CHENEY: No. I think it’s not surprising that people make that connection.

    MR. RUSSERT: But is there a connection?

    VICE PRES. CHENEY: We don’t know. You and I talked about this two years ago. I can remember you asking me this question just a few days after the original attack. At the time I said no, we didn’t have any evidence of that. Subsequent to that, we’ve learned a couple of things. We learned more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaeda that stretched back through most of the decade of the ’90s, that it involved training, for example, on BW and CW, that al-Qaeda sent personnel to Baghdad to get trained on the systems that are involved. The Iraqis providing bomb-making expertise and advice to the al-Qaeda organization.

    We know, for example, in connection with the original World Trade Center bombing in ’93 that one of the bombers was Iraqi, returned to Iraq after the attack of ’93. And we’ve learned subsequent to that, since we went into Baghdad and got into the intelligence files, that this individual probably also received financing from the Iraqi government as well as safe haven.

    Now, is there a connection between the Iraqi government and the original World Trade Center bombing in ’93? We know, as I say, that one of the perpetrators of that act did, in fact, receive support from the Iraqi government after the fact. With respect to 9/11, of course, we’ve had the story that’s been public out there. The Czechs alleged that Mohamed Atta, the lead attacker, met in Prague with a senior Iraqi intelligence official five months before the attack, but we’ve never been able to develop anymore of that yet either in terms of confirming it or discrediting it. We just don’t know.

    On more than one occassion, in support of the Iraq invasion, Cheney said that:

    Mohamed Atta, the lead attacker, met in Prague with a senior Iraqi intelligence official five months before the attack
    And on many occassions gave this info as fact.

  3. #303
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    So, are you saying no connection was made because the Vice President didn't specifically say it, and that everyone should have realized his innuendo was false?
    What did Cheney say?
    1: We dont know.
    2: When first asked, I said 'no'
    3: There was likely some relationship between Iraq and AQ
    4: We just don't know

    Now, read very slowly:

    Stating that Iraq had some undefined and unspecific relationship with AQ is NOT a statement that Iraq had a role in 9-11


    If you take that as the 'smoking gun' regarding the Adminstration claiming that Iraq was involved in 9-11, you're either FAR too stupid and/or partisan to be taken seriously.

  4. #304
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I did not say I fell for it...
    Do you know anyone that did?
    I don't -- and yet, I hear about how 70% of the people of the US thought there was some connection.

    All of the statements I have seen speak to a pre-9-11 relationship between Iraq and AQ. Presuming you have reason to believe that said relatioship exists, and someone asks you if Iraq was involved with 9-11, and absent any concrete information to the contrary, what can you say other than "I don't know' or 'I have not seen any evidence to directly support that'?

  5. #305
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Do you know anyone that did?
    I don't -- and yet, I hear about how 70% of the people of the US thought there was some connection.

    All of the statements I have seen speak to a pre-9-11 relationship between Iraq and AQ. Presuming you have reason to believe that said relatioship exists, and someone asks you if Iraq was involved with 9-11, and absent any concrete information to the contrary, what can you say other than "I don't know' or 'I have not seen any evidence to directly support that'?
    I know many people who thought that there was a connection because Cheney kept throwing the Prauge-Mohamed Atta tidbit around. He even used it in the 2004 debates.

  6. #306
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Last thing I will post on this topic. Getting back to the thought that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction:

    USATODAY.com - U.N.: Iraq had no WMD after 1994

    The study, a quarterly report on Iraq from U.N. inspectors, notes that the U.S. teams' inability to find any weapons after the war mirrors the experience of U.N. inspectors who searched there from November 2002 until March 2003.

  7. #307
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Do you know anyone that did?
    I don't -- and yet, I hear about how 70% of the people of the US thought there was some connection.

    All of the statements I have seen speak to a pre-9-11 relationship between Iraq and AQ. Presuming you have reason to believe that said relatioship exists, and someone asks you if Iraq was involved with 9-11, and absent any concrete information to the contrary, what can you say other than "I don't know' or 'I have not seen any evidence to directly support that'?
    So you are saying it's ok for the vice president to purposely mislead the American people?

  8. #308
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Point being, they were a threat
    Point being...not a threat to us. We were palling around with him, urging him to attack Iran, and assisting him in this war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    who was involved in the worlds biggest embezzelment scheme in cahoots with the UN, france, russia et all, while blaming us for starving iraqis.
    Silly goose. We don't invade countries for embezzling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    nonesense Bush one told us to stand down because he was a UN coward. We stood ready to go in and were equipped to take bagdhad when he pulled us out because of the namby UN. Had he gone in, we wouldn't be there now.
    No reason for us to be there now, anyway.

  9. #309
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Point being...not a threat to us. We were palling around with him, urging him to attack Iran, and assisting him in this war.
    Saddam was a perceived threat to Israel.

    After we were "palling" around with Saddam there was the falling out called the Gulf War.

    Saddam violated the terms of the Gulf War Cease Fire and incurred the wrath of the Coalition.

    OBL 11/24/02

  10. #310
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Last thing I will post on this topic. Getting back to the thought that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction:

    USATODAY.com - U.N.: Iraq had no WMD after 1994
    There was equal amounts of conflicting information suggesting he had WMD's including the O.P. of this thread.

    OBL 11/24/02

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •