Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 321

Thread: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

  1. #191
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Are you sure? Or are you just being partisan?

    If one point of view is supported by 19 pieces of information and one is supported by 1, are you "picking the one you favor" by choosing the view supported by the 19?
    I would go with 19, and thus not invade.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  2. #192
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I would go with 19, and thus not invade.
    That's hilarious dude!

  3. #193
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    That's hilarious dude!
    To say not would be partisan.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #194
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I would go with 19, and thus not invade.
    Can you show that the available information supported such a decision, to such a degree?

  5. #195
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No, I am asking you a question.
    Fine, I will play along. If I were about to send in thousands of American troops into a war zone and had 19 pieces of intel saying Iraq had WMD's, which of course, we knew for years, since we sold them to them along with Russia, and one saying no, I would wait and be sure that the other 19 were solid. The one doubt would be enough to save thousands of lives. War should be last resort.

    That said, if Saadam would have made a move to attack the U.S. or our allies, then I would have taken the same action as GW. Iran has nuclear intentions and we have not invaded. Why? This was not about intel or anything else, it was about finishing what his father started. This administration wanted to create a democracy in the Middle East and I truly feel trumped-up the intel to support doing so.

    If it turns-out and a democracy lasts, great and good job. If not, then thousands have died needlessly.

  6. #196
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Can you show that the available information supported such a decision, to such a degree?
    It was a joke dude.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #197
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Fine, I will play along. If I were about to send in thousands of American troops into a war zone and had 19 pieces of intel saying Iraq had WMD's, which of course, we knew for years, since we sold them to them along with Russia, and one saying no, I would wait and be sure that the other 19 were solid. The one doubt would be enough to save thousands of lives. War should be last resort.
    IOW...you'd wait for 100% certitude.
    And so, you'd never go to war, over anything, except only AFTER we were attacked, and only then after, with 100% certitude, that we knew who attacked us.

    Sadly, today's geopolitical situation does not allow for this. The weapons available to certain people and certain countries does not allow for this luxury. Imagine, had GWB decided to not do anythig, and then a WMD from Iraq been used to attack us or our allies - one that "Bush should have known they had and done something about it, as the intel he had clearly pointed in that direction".

    The point here is that when you're dealing with something being done by another nation in secret, you ALWAYS act on incomplete information -- you make with the best guesses you can with what you have and act accordingly. If the large majority of your information points you one way, and a small portion points you another, you have to act on the perponderance, and you have to act according to the haste dictated by that perponderance.

    Citing the two or three things those inflicted by BDS like to hang their hats on does nothing but illustrate a failure to understand this.

  8. #198
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    IOW...you'd wait for 100% certitude.
    And so, you'd never go to war, over anything, except only AFTER we were attacked, and only then after, with 100% certitude, that we knew who attacked us.

    Sadly, today's geopolitical situation does not allow for this. The weapons available to certain people and certain countries does not allow for this luxury. Imagine, had GWB decided to not do anythig, and then a WMD from Iraq been used to attack us or our allies - one that "Bush should have known they had and done something about it, as the intel he had clearly pointed in that direction".

    The point here is that when you're dealing with something being done by another nation in secret, you ALWAYS act on incomplete information -- you make with the best guesses you can with what you have and act accordingly. If the large majority of your information points you one way, and a small portion points you another, you have to act on the perponderance, and you have to act according to the haste dictated by that perponderance.

    Citing the two or three things those inflicted by BDS like to hang their hats on does nothing but illustrate a failure to understand this.

    I never said I would wait for 100% certitude. The UN and others asserted that Iraq posed no threat. We had outdated intel that said otherwise. Why is it impossible to make sure that your intel is good before invading and occupying another country.

    Do we know that Iran has nuclear aspirations? Yes.

    Do we know they support terror? Yes.

    Have we invaded as we did Iraq? No.

    So how is it that the geopolitical situation with Iran creates a different outcome, when we are much more sure here than in Iraq?

  9. #199
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,205

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    It was a joke dude.
    Are you always that sharp?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #200
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Are you always that sharp?
    Hehe, only sometimes.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •