Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 321

Thread: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

  1. #111
    Advisor Richard Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Last Seen
    10-26-16 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    473

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    I'm sorry, but didn't the UNMOVIC report say that Iraq because extradonarily cooperative around 2002?
    www.thecaffeinemachine.com - looking for main-page political writers, so if anyone is interested send a PM (apologies if that violates any rules)

  2. #112
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post


    We can't judge what happened in Iraq right now, only history can when we see and judge if our actions really did make a difference for the better and towards democracy which i don't think will last.
    I think we just gave Iran an ally in ME whereas previously Iraq was Iran's main fear.

    It's funny how you say "we can't judge" the situation in Iraq, yet you're absolutely convinced the democracy will fail.

    Personally, I think you *want* it to.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The fact of the matter is that there were actual reports from military personel, that inspected in 1998, and found that Iraq's chemical and biological weapons were out of date and useless. We knew they could not make more, because of the embargo on Iraq, no vaccines or medicines could enter the country so that they would not have access to compounds that would enable them to make new weapons.

    To Bad those folks didn't have any Real UN Inspetcors with them and they only looked at stuff that had been capture by us during the Gulf War. They never entered Iraq with us on any Inspection Team Search nor were they allowed to under the terms that the UN setup in the cease fire terms.

    In my whole time working on various UN Weapon Team's we never had any active duty Military Personal on any teams.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post

    If I remember right, Iraq fired more scuds at Saudi Arabia than at Israel.

    Before you go making an arse of yourself I suggest you do some research for the record,

    Iraq fired 88 Scud-B during the whole Gulf War of these this is the break down,

    42 Scud-B mostly Al-Hussein at Israel
    19 Scud-B Al-Hussein at Dhahran, Al Jubayl, Bahrain, and Qatar.
    Of these 19 attacks 6 of them were against Bahrain and Qatar

    Now that leaves a total of 40 Scud fired at Saudi Arab during the Gulf War.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Nixon View Post
    I'm sorry, but didn't the UNMOVIC report say that Iraq because extradonarily cooperative around 2002?
    No they didn't as a matter of fact for us on the ground 2002 was one of the worst years we had with reguard to working with Iraqi Officials.

    You can thank Mr. Hans Blix for that one.

  6. #116
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post
    Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran' - Yahoo! News UK

    Just shows that this war could have been avoided, if only the UN was given a few more months by the US, Saddam would have been found weak
    So it's the US's fault that Saddam wanted everyone to believe he had the weapons? And that a few more months of investigating would have resolved the issue, when Saddam was actively trying to make it look like he was hiding something?

    and we could have used his fear of the Iranians to press him into more democratic policies in exchange for "a security agreement"
    That's one of the most historically inept things I've ever heard. Brutal, thuggish dictators have no interest in "democracy." Never have, never will. Democracy is achieved only when they're gone.

    meanwhile focusing on the real problem - Iran.
    Yeah. And if the focus ever does shift to Iran, who's going to be the "real" problem then? There's always someone else.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Such a threat to the US.

    But up until shortly before the 1991 war, Iraq and the US were good buddies. We backed him during the Iran/Iraq war, removed Iraq from our list of terrorist nations so Saddam could do business freely, treated Saddam's Iraq like a regular ally. And this was done at the time when saddam actually was committing atrocities using chemical weapons, with our knowledge. President Reagan didn't seem to have much of a problem with Hussein, wasn't scared of him at all.
    Granted everything you say is true but prio to 1991 he hadn't invade any other Middle East Country and both Mr. Reagan and Mr. Bush Sr. told him not to go into Kuwait, but he didn't listen and end up bring it all down on him.

    Also I woul dlike to point out to all of you while we supported him during the Iran-Iraq War as did most of the rest of the World we weren't Iraq's Arms Supplers 95% of their Military Hardware was/is Soviet based items.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    We did not go into WWII until 1941, and no presence in Europe or the Pacific until 1942. To suggest we went right in to protect others is quite misleading. We were basically dragged into the war, and the U.S. declared war on the axis of evil, once it was discovered that Hitler had urged Mexico to join him and attack the U.S., just as Japan had.
    No were I suggest you do some reading on the subject but here are a few thing for you to look up,

    Flying Tigers(AVG)
    Lend-Lease
    Eagle Squadron(RAF)
    4 Stackers (US Destroyers with American Crews)

    All of these were well before 1941,

    As for our presence in Europe well lets ee we were attacked by Japan on Dec. 7 Germany declaired War on the 9th are first Transport with American Aircraft landed at the docks of Liverpool on 13 are first operational Squadron came on line on 21.

    As for the Pacific correct me if I'm wrong but Guam,Wake Island are all in the Pacific correct so is the Philippines, all of them had United States Army units on them.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    One of them, Atta, was Egyptian. All the others Saudi. Why did we never bomb Saudi Arabia?
    Because Iraq was in violation of the UN. We were already at war with Iraq. It was beleived Saddam had WMD. Saddam was actively thwarting the mandated inspection teams.

    It was believed that toppling Saddam would lead to democracy in Iraq and a moderation / democrazation of countires in the area.

    There have already been some minor evidence that this has been occuring. What is currently occuring in Iran, is at least partially, the result of Iraq.

    Of course, it's much simpler to just say "oil". That doesn't require any thought at all.

  10. #120
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Saddam: 'I Lied About WMD In Fear Of Iran'

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Of course, it's much simpler to just say "oil". That doesn't require any thought at all.
    That is correct.

    If we went into Iraq for the oil, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever not to go into Saudi Arabia for theirs. There's nothing they have which can keep us out, except for the threat of denying us oil . . . and if we're going in to GET the oil, that's no threat at all. And the justifications for invading were/are ample.

    However, understanding that DOES require thought.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •