Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 168

Thread: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think removing the ability for someone to use bankruptcy to not pay medical bills would be a great start as well as removing the statute of limitations for collections and credit reporting.

    If someone spent their time and money to make you well again you shouldn't be able to skirt paying that bill.
    I agree. There needs to be some kind of recourse for people who have severe and immediate medical needs but they should be held accountable if they failed to take the proper precautions e.g., purchasing health insurance.

    If you can afford health insurance and choose not to purchase it you should be held legally and financially responsible for any costs your transfer to society.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I agree. There needs to be some kind of recourse for people who have severe and immediate medical needs but they should be held accountable if they failed to take the proper precautions e.g., purchasing health insurance.

    If you can afford health insurance and choose not to purchase it you should be held legally and financially responsible for any costs your transfer to society.
    They already do this with some student loans.

    I think federally subsidized student loans cannot be included with a bankruptcy filing.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #113
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Polimaster View Post
    Not everyone needs health insurance though. I college student who is trying to pay off student loans will probably not require a lot of medical treatment. There is no reason they need to pay 3 grand a year to go to a doctor twice in the same year. It would be cheaper for them to pay for their own treatment. Health insurance is not needed at all times, you do not need it consistently until you are older.

    Let people choose it is their right. Maybe they make a mistake, but they should have the freedom to make that mistake. This is like the government telling everyone that they have to by some type of peanut butter. You can by any type you want, but you shouldn't have to buy any at all. If you are allergic to peanuts it will do you no good, they same as health insurance will do you no good if you are the average, healthy college student.
    The key word is PROBABLY, and that is what insurance is all about. You don't buy car insurance just before you have an accident, because you don't know if or when you might have the accident. Likewise, you don't know what major illness might strike you even tho you think you are too young and healthy...the whole premise of insurance is to spread the risks...
    or don't you understand the purpose of insurance?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #114
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I never said anyone deserves health care. I do believe, however, that refusing a person immediate, life-saving treatment is not an option. If a man is wheeled into an emergency room with a crushed spleen and he doesn't have insurance are we just going to throw him out onto the street to die? That's insane.

    Scenarios where a person requires immediate care in order to save their life is one of the only things I'm willing to subsidize via taxes.

    Moreover, the current system, whether us libertarians like it or not, forces society to incur the financial burden of uninsured people who obtain treatment but do not pay. If that's how the current system is going to work then individuals must be incentivized to purchase their own damn health insurance, instead of expecting you and I to foot the bill. Principle does not preclude pragmatism.
    The current system is flawed. Take out compulsory labor and I like it. We don't deserve the labor of anyone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Hey Mr. Libertarian, if your house catches fire, do you deserve to have the Fire Dept. put it out? If you are being beaten for holding such asshat opinions, do you deserve to have a policeman intervene? If you want to drive to town to attend a Tea Party, do you deserve a paved road? i could go on, and on and on, but Libertarians will continue to deny the need for infrastructure as they continue to use it.
    No, no, and no. We pay for all of those things. It would be insane of me not to use them after paying for them through taxation.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    The key word is PROBABLY, and that is what insurance is all about. You don't buy car insurance just before you have an accident, because you don't know if or when you might have the accident. Likewise, you don't know what major illness might strike you even tho you think you are too young and healthy...the whole premise of insurance is to spread the risks...
    or don't you understand the purpose of insurance?
    But if someone doesn't want it, that's their decision.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    The current system is flawed. Take out compulsory labor and I like it. We don't deserve the labor of anyone else.
    So how do you propose we deal with people that require immediate life-saving care yet lack insurance? Just let them expire in the streets?

  6. #116
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houghton, Michigan
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    98

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Polimaster View Post
    If the college student breaks their leg, or does anything similar, then they will get emergency treatment and the hospital can just write off any expenses. And before you say it I know the bill then gets sent to the tax payers because a hospital is non-profit (which is what allows them to write it off in the first place), but that is what universal health care is. A college student can get the treatment and not have to pay for the services.

    And generally a healthy college student will not suffer any serious injuries, GENERALLY, so why pay 12 thousand dollars over the course of a four year college for something that chances are you will not use, and do not need. I think a 40,000 dollar tuition is enough.
    Why in the world should everybody pay for their health care because they thought it better to spend money on something besides health insurance? Just because they have other expenses doesn't mean we should be footing the bill for their irresponsibility. Should a person be exempt from paying for their health coverage because they decide to spend $40k on a vacation cabin? I think not.

    By the way, my last medical fiasco racked up a total bill of around $80 grand, all insured. And I'm in tip top condition, healthy eater, active, hell I hadn't even had a cavity before- but obviously statistics didn't keep me safe.
    Last edited by Bootsavich; 07-07-09 at 01:44 AM.

  7. #117
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    First of all, i have no idea why people are so against this. Who gives a ****, seriously? If you have your own health care coverage, you will not have to pay a fine: Conversely, if you do not, you are most likely eligible for government sponsored coverage, AKA medicaid.

    I have major medical coverage that costs me less than $1,000/ year, paying for my own physicals etc... out of pocket. I am having trouble understanding how i will be "forced" to pay the so called "fine". For those of you who do not have insurance, and are outraged.... ugh.... why???? It makes very little sense, and i'll tell you why.

    If I am driving my vehicle without insurance, and something happens in which either myself is seriously injured, much less someone else, I am looking at some serious out of pocket expenditures. Yet for about $1,500/year, i can obtain $2 million worth of various liability in case i injure myself, others, and property. To tell you the truth, i will not drive 100ft down a road in a car that is not insured for me to do so.

    One month in ICU can cause an excess of $300k... therefore it makes no sense, IMHO, not to "hedge your bets".
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #118
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So how do you propose we deal with people that require immediate life-saving care yet lack insurance? Just let them expire in the streets?
    They don't deserve the labor of others. The world owes us nothing.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #119
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    First of all, i have no idea why people are so against this. Who gives a ****, seriously? If you have your own health care coverage, you will not have to pay a fine: Conversely, if you do not, you are most likely eligible for government sponsored coverage, AKA medicaid.

    I have major medical coverage that costs me less than $1,000/ year, paying for my own physicals etc... out of pocket. I am having trouble understanding how i will be "forced" to pay the so called "fine". For those of you who do not have insurance, and are outraged.... ugh.... why???? It makes very little sense, and i'll tell you why.

    If I am driving my vehicle without insurance, and something happens in which either myself is seriously injured, much less someone else, I am looking at some serious out of pocket expenditures. Yet for about $1,500/year, i can obtain $2 million worth of various liability in case i injure myself, others, and property. To tell you the truth, i will not drive 100ft down a road in a car that is not insured for me to do so.

    One month in ICU can cause an excess of $300k... therefore it makes no sense, IMHO, not to "hedge your bets".
    I give a **** because the government is legislating my personal decisions. It's like saying you don't have to worry about government going through your dirty laundry as long as you've done nothing wrong.

    Vehicle insurance is a completely different situation. When you are in an accident you cause damage to yourself and someone else. So you need insurance to cover that damage to the other person. Not so with health insurance. There you are only harming yourself.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #120
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Senate Bill Fines People More Than $1,000 for Refusing Health Care Coverage

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I give a **** because the government is legislating my personal decisions. It's like saying you don't have to worry about government going through your dirty laundry as long as you've done nothing wrong.
    You are a risk to others if you do not have health insurance, and something happens to you. Reason be, the hospital will have to either work on you pro bono, or, your lack of payment will force prices to increase.

    Vehicle insurance is a completely different situation. When you are in an accident you cause damage to yourself and someone else. So you need insurance to cover that damage to the other person. Not so with health insurance. There you are only harming yourself.
    I am not speaking in those regards. Would you drive (continuously)in a car without insurance if only yourself was at risk? If your answer is yes, than i question your rationality; as there is a difference between a man and a boy. A man takes care of himself, and would not put his family (or himself) at risk. A boy on the other hand is concerned about "doing what i want".

    It's fools who refuse to take government medical coverage, or get their own coverage, and end up getting hurt all while unable to pay thousands of dollars in bills, who drive up the costs, or cost other people their lives. There are only so many pro bono medical cases available to a single medical facility. Taking up the coverage when you could have been financially covered is completely irresponsible.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •