Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You're forgetting one thing: (see my sig)
    And your sig forgets to mention that the politicians that lean right do the SAME DAMN THING, yet you suck up their koolaid each election.

  2. #32
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And your sig forgets to mention that the politicians that lean right do the SAME DAMN THING, yet you suck up their koolaid each election.
    That's not at all necessarily the case.
    Eaxmple:
    Even though they knew it would cost the party in 2006 and 2008, the GOP and the Bush administration held the line in Iraq, putting what they beleived to be the right thing to do in front of their personal and partisan power.

    Can you cite an eample of this on the left? I've seen numerous occasions where they say they arent going to do something they think they should because it would cost them politically -- gun control, for instance.

    And by the way... "he did it too" isnt a defense.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That's not at all necessarily the case.
    Eaxmple:
    Even though they knew it would cost the party in 2006 and 2008, the GOP and the Bush administration held the line in Iraq, putting what they beleived to be the right thing to do in front of their personal and partisan power.
    Because they knew if they caved in it would be a political onslaught more than what it would have been. They were in a lose/lose situation.

    Not a good example there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And by the way... "he did it too" isnt a defense.
    I wasn't defending, only pointing out that your attacking the left leaning politicians was ignorant when the right does the same thing to protect their asses.

    You attack the left, but leave the right alone in your comments why? Oh yeah, because you're partisan.

  4. #34
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Because they knew if they caved in it would be a political onslaught more than what it would have been. They were in a lose/lose situation.
    Harldy. Its unlikely that they would have less support than they had at that point, because the only people supporting them were the faithful.
    By defintion -- and like the gsays supporting the dems -- the faithful never go away.

    I wasn't defending, only pointing out that your attacking the left leaning politicians was ignorant when the right does the same thing to protect their asses.
    Oh. So your point had nothing to do with mine.
    10-4.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Harldy. Its unlikely that they would have less support than they had at that point, because the only people supporting them were the faithful.
    By defintion -- and like the gsays supporting the dems -- the faithful never go away.
    Your opinion. However, IMO the Republicans would have lost more seats in 2006 and 2008 had they done that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Oh. So your point had nothing to do with mine.
    10-4.
    Oh it did. The fact you give a free pass to the right and will vote Republican when election time comes.

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It could have something to do with one thousand, one hundred flag and general officers signing a letter supporting a ban on gays in the military. Kinda hard for a CIC to go up against 1,100 general officers.
    I cannot find anything on this letter. Do you have a source, with information like how many are active duty, and when this letter was done?

  7. #37
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Your opinion.
    And a perfectly reasoned one at that.

    However, IMO the Republicans would have lost more seats in 2006 and 2008 had they done that.
    THAT is unlikely, for the reasons stated,

    Oh it did.
    Not according to what you just said -- you admitted that you werent addressing what I said, you were attacking me for saying it.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Not according to what you just said -- you admitted that you werent addressing what I said, you were attacking me for saying it.
    I was addressing the fact you weren't saying the same thing about the right? Why? Of course, because you were being partisan and giving the right a free-pass when they do the same thing.

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It could have something to do with one thousand, one hundred flag and general officers signing a letter supporting a ban on gays in the military. Kinda hard for a CIC to go up against 1,100 general officers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I cannot find anything on this letter. Do you have a source, with information like how many are active duty, and when this letter was done?
    Oh wait, I think I found it: Admirals, generals: Let gays serve openly - Military- msnbc.com

    More than 100 retired generals and admirals called Monday for repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays so they can serve openly, according to a statement obtained by The Associated Press.
    Is that the one?

    Oh, or how about this one: washingtonpost.com

    But it is not just foreign militaries that show service by openly gay individuals works. The U.S. military itself has had successful experiences. Enforcement of the ban was suspended without problems during the Persian Gulf War, and there were no reports of angry departures. A majority of U.S. service members say they know or believe that someone in their unit is gay, according to a 2006 Zogby International poll, and most of those who know of openly gay peers report no detriment to morale or cohesion. A recent study co-authored by Laura Miller of Rand Corp. found no correlation between a unit's readiness and whether known gays serve in it. And last year, four retired flag and general officers studied all available evidence and found that allowing gays to serve posed no risk to force readiness.
    Last edited by Redress; 07-02-09 at 04:56 PM.

  10. #40
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Defense Chief Giving Don't Ask Don't Tell a Closer Look

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I was addressing the fact you weren't saying the same thing about the right?
    So rather than address the point, you attack me.
    Must be because you know you cannot defend against the point.
    Roger-roger.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •