Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Part of railway to be nationalized

  1. #1
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Part of railway to be nationalized

    The government says it intends to take the East Coast rail service, run by National Express, into state ownership.
    Ministers have refused National Express's requests for its contract with the government to be renegotiated.

    The Department for Transport said that all East Coast services would continue and that tickets would be honoured.
    BBC NEWS | Business | East Coast rail to be state-run

    Why stop there?
    Buy back all of the railways.
    It should never have gone to private hands in the first place


  2. #2
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    I agree, our Rail system really needs to be revamped. I mean there is no reason it should be so expensive, and so time consuming to travel by train while the Europeans can do it so cheaply.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  3. #3
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,947

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    I agree because our goverment is nothing if not fast and efficent. They for sure will run things much better.

  4. #4
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I agree because our goverment is nothing if not fast and efficent. They for sure will run things much better.
    The following is assuming that the above quote is sarcastic...

    Your logic is faulty to assume that it would be more poorly run by the government. Huge corporations are no less susceptible to corruption and greed than is the United States, or any government for that matter. Any time when you find a situation where one entity has great deals of power and or money that the folks at the top are going to have the most to gain. These gains have been unethical many times. To imply that the private sector could in fact run it so much better, which in fact has proven to be untrue in this situation. Many government programs are actually quite efficient and cost efficient as well as many others that should be scrapped. This mirrors very closely to what happens in the private sector.

    Comment if you will, as to whether or not you want your tax payer dollars going towards something you disagree with, that is your right. Don't, however, imply "Private=good, Government =bad"

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    Many government programs are actually quite efficient and cost efficient...
    Such as?

    ...

  6. #6
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Such as?

    ...
    I have a reliable infrastructure maintained to a very high degree. Sure, there is some detours and potholes from time to time, but I sure do like not having to stop at tolls constantly. Once I'm on that paved road leading me wherever I want to go, I can stop in at the DMV, which people love to criticize, but for all it regulates, does a fine job. I personally have never waited more than 30 minutes at any of my local dmv's and i have lived in four different states. I doubt that a privately run business would be any more efficient for the volume it must deal with. I have also been able to do much of what I need that department for online. I have registered my vehicles, sent for plates, updated address information all within a matter of minutes. It is quite efficient.

    I can also go to the post office and send a letter in the mail anywhere in the country for less than fifty cents. The USPS also offers a parcel service that is competitive with private carriers, further proving its competency.

    I am not trying to argue for the validity of all government programs nor the inadequacies of private enterprise, but rather that they are quite similar in many aspects. Many people love to blame the government for anything that goes wrong. While the government does do many things poorly and makes many mistakes, it is no reason to chastise every program that comes to pass.

    Again, this is not to say that you can't fundamentally disagree with a program in general. In this case, you might find federal control of the railroad system to be a poor way to spend your tax dollars. It is completely within the bounds of reason for you to feel that way. Just don't use the logic that it will be bad because everything the government does is bad.

  7. #7
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I agree because our goverment is nothing if not fast and efficent. They for sure will run things much better.
    The MTA is semi Goverment operated and it does quiet well.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    I have a reliable infrastructure maintained to a very high degree. Sure, there is some detours and potholes from time to time, but I sure do like not having to stop at tolls constantly. Once I'm on that paved road leading me wherever I want to go, I can stop in at the DMV, which people love to criticize, but for all it regulates, does a fine job. I personally have never waited more than 30 minutes at any of my local dmv's and i have lived in four different states. I doubt that a privately run business would be any more efficient for the volume it must deal with. I have also been able to do much of what I need that department for online. I have registered my vehicles, sent for plates, updated address information all within a matter of minutes. It is quite efficient.

    I can also go to the post office and send a letter in the mail anywhere in the country for less than fifty cents. The USPS also offers a parcel service that is competitive with private carriers, further proving its competency.

    I am not trying to argue for the validity of all government programs nor the inadequacies of private enterprise, but rather that they are quite similar in many aspects. Many people love to blame the government for anything that goes wrong. While the government does do many things poorly and makes many mistakes, it is no reason to chastise every program that comes to pass.

    Again, this is not to say that you can't fundamentally disagree with a program in general. In this case, you might find federal control of the railroad system to be a poor way to spend your tax dollars. It is completely within the bounds of reason for you to feel that way. Just don't use the logic that it will be bad because everything the government does is bad.
    Just because these programs may work well (in your estimation) does not mean they are cost effective.

  9. #9
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    I agree, our Rail system really needs to be revamped. I mean there is no reason it should be so expensive, and so time consuming to travel by train while the Europeans can do it so cheaply.
    It's not cheap it's subsidized.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #10
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Part of railway to be nationalized

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Just because these programs may work well (in your estimation) does not mean they are cost effective.
    I see your point. Perhaps that isn't the best way to put it. I ask you then, do you believe that it would be better in the hands of the private sector, and if so, what are your reasons. Do you believe that it is none of the governments business or that the private sector could truly do a better job?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •