Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 105

Thread: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

  1. #81
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    eh just bite a bullet
    Lead is now a heavy metal and hazardous. Only full metal jacketed bullets are offically approved.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/health/01fda.html?em



    Wow.

    One would think that the immediate result of such a ban would be a spike in the use of Oxy and Hydrocodone.
    Could be; however, most doctors are reluctant to give out pain killers that strong absent extreme exigent circumstances (broken bones, post surgical pain, ect ...)

    Also ... Hydocodone is a generic form of Vicadin. So I would assume it would be banned with the Vicadin and the rest of its numerous generics and variants.

    Since I know you don't believe anything I tell you, here is proof.

    Hydrocodone Generic Name: hydrocodone and acetaminophen (a SEET a MIN oh fen and hye droe KOE done)

    Brand names: Anexsia, Dolorex Forte, Hycet, Liquicet, Lorcet 10/650, Lorcet Plus, Lortab 10/500, Lortab 2.5/500, Lortab 5/500, Lortab 7.5/500, Lortab Elixir, Maxidone, Norco, Polygesic, Stagesic, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Xodol, Xodol 5, Zydone


    Link: Hydrocodone Information from Drugs.com



    Oxycontin is expensive and difficult to obtain ... even when its use is warranted by a specific condition.

    My guess is that Percoset will die and Pecodan (which contains Aspirin instead of Acetaminophen) will remain on the market.

    It will likely be this product that is prescribed for pain.
    Last edited by Vader; 07-03-09 at 05:48 AM.

  3. #83
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Could be; however, most doctors are reluctant to give out pain killers that strong absent extreme exigent circumstances (broken bones, post surgical pain, ect ...)

    Also ... Hydocodone is a generic form of Vicadin. So I would assume it would be banned with the Vicadin and the rest of its numerous generics and variants.

    Since I know you don't believe anything I tell you, here is proof.

    Hydrocodone Generic Name: hydrocodone and acetaminophen (a SEET a MIN oh fen and hye droe KOE done)

    Brand names: Anexsia, Dolorex Forte, Hycet, Liquicet, Lorcet 10/650, Lorcet Plus, Lortab 10/500, Lortab 2.5/500, Lortab 5/500, Lortab 7.5/500, Lortab Elixir, Maxidone, Norco, Polygesic, Stagesic, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Xodol, Xodol 5, Zydone


    Link: Hydrocodone Information from Drugs.com
    Vicodin is a form of hydrocodone that contains acetaminophen.

    Hydrocodone itself is a generic drug.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #84
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Vicodin is a form of hydrocodone that contains acetaminophen.

    Hydrocodone itself is a generic drug.
    My own personal experience is hydocodone isn't that strong. It doesn't help constant severe pain like for knee replacement, although that's what many doctor's give, and all that acetominophen is in MHO poisoning the liver's of those who need the stuff. I don't get why all that acetominophen is even permitted to be put in those drugs so heartily in the first place. I know it supposedly aids the hydrocodone in working, but tsk! tsk! they couldn't use ibuprophen, or something less deadly to the liver. The FDA is supposed to be the watchdog, but they are more like a snippy chihuahua.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  5. #85
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    My own personal experience is hydocodone isn't that strong. It doesn't help constant severe pain like for knee replacement, although that's what many doctor's give, and all that acetominophen is in MHO poisoning the liver's of those who need the stuff. I don't get why all that acetominophen is even permitted to be put in those drugs so heartily in the first place. I know it supposedly aids the hydrocodone in working, but tsk! tsk! they couldn't use ibuprophen, or something less deadly to the liver. The FDA is supposed to be the watchdog, but they are more like a snippy chihuahua.
    They don't use ibuprofin because it doesn't do what acetaminophen does. If they could get the exact same effect without the liver toxicity, you don't think they'd be doing that?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    They don't use ibuprofin because it doesn't do what acetaminophen does. If they could get the exact same effect without the liver toxicity, you don't think they'd be doing that?
    What I'm not understanding is, your not supposed to take any of these drugs for any extended period of time.

    Liver toxicity probably wouldn't develop if these drugs are not abused, so why bother banning them if it only affects the abusers?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #87
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    I hope they plan on paying my parent's bills when my mom can't work any longer due to her pain meds being pulled.

    Stupid ****ers. People should be informed of the risk and allowed to choose to accept it or not. We don't need the ****ing government barging in to "save" us all yet again.

  8. #88
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    They don't use ibuprofin because it doesn't do what acetaminophen does. If they could get the exact same effect without the liver toxicity, you don't think they'd be doing that?
    Also, some people can't take Ibuprofen or similar drugs due to risk of bleeding.

  9. #89
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    They don't use ibuprofin because it doesn't do what acetaminophen does. If they could get the exact same effect without the liver toxicity, you don't think they'd be doing that?
    Ok then what is vicoprofen? I've never been able to get tylenol to do anything for me. Also, if you look on the internet, there's a way to extract the hydrocodone from the acetominophen, it's called cold-water extraction method. Now why would anybody want to extract the tylenol if it makes the hydrocodone more effective? Seems like if it makes it more effective it would increase the buzz or whatever. Well, maybe not, but there's got to be a reason, and it just seems funny. I think that originally it was to make the maker's of tylenol rich, but it's just a guess. Cause it was brand name at first I'm pretty sure. I'm just guessing here, not an expert or anything.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  10. #90
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by hiswoman View Post
    Also, some people can't take Ibuprofen or similar drugs due to risk of bleeding.
    This is true, but most people can, so why can't they push the vicoprofen, and those that have problems get the tylenol. My question is why so much tylenol? 250 mg. seems like plenty, but it's usually 500 or 650 mg.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •