Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 105

Thread: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

  1. #31
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Which is precisely why it's such a bad drug to add to opiates. People WILL abuse the drugs and acetaminophen can be very unforgiving when taken in doses as small as two grams. That's only TWICE dosage recommended.
    So because some people abuse something, the best solution is to deny the benefits of that drug to all those who use it responsibly and instead to just give everyone a more potent version of the drug with an even greater potential for abuse?

    Doesn't seem very libertarian-y of you.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    lolwut
    "lolwut" What? Either say what you mean to say in your argument and get your ****ing little 4chan memes out of here. You see exactly what I said there and yeah, I stand by it. Acetaminophen can induce lever failure at doses very close to the recommended dose.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Which is precisely why it's such a bad drug to add to opiates. People WILL abuse the drugs and acetaminophen can be very unforgiving when taken in doses as small as two grams. That's only TWICE dosage recommended.
    Two grams is not a "small dose" of any medication.

    The dose of acetaminophen in Extra Strength Tylenol is 500mg.
    Tylenol.com

    The maximum daily dose for adults of acetaminophen is 4000mg (4g).

    Tylenol Extra Strength (acetaminophen) medical facts from Drugs.com

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    So because some people abuse something, the best solution is to deny the benefits of that drug to all those who use it responsibly and instead to just give everyone a more potent version of the drug with an even greater potential for abuse?

    Doesn't seem very libertarian-y of you.
    First of all, if someone wants to abuse those pain killers, there is nothing stopping them. But if they don't know what they're doing it is very easy for someone to end up suffering an excruciatingly painful and slow death because the doses for damaging the liver can occur at doses even just TWICE the recommended dose. And being a libertarian has nothing to do with pharmacology.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    "lolwut" What? Either say what you mean to say in your argument and get your ****ing little 4chan memes out of here. You see exactly what I said there and yeah, I stand by it. Acetaminophen can induce lever failure at doses very close to the recommended dose.
    Man, and I have to double up on that stuff just to see when the pollen is out

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Two grams is not a "small dose" of any medication.

    The dose of acetaminophen in Extra Strength Tylenol is 500mg.
    Tylenol.com

    The maximum daily dose for adults of acetaminophen is 4000mg (4g).

    Tylenol Extra Strength (acetaminophen) medical facts from Drugs.com
    Two grams is a small dose for inducing lethal effects in medicine, yes. What other drugs are going to kill you if you take double the dose?

    From your link, they say take two 500mg pills. 500mg is half a gram. If you take two of them like the label says, that one gram. People can suffer serious injuries or even death at doses as low as two grams. That's double the recommended dose.

  7. #37
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Why do you think so many more people die from acetaminophen every than opiates?
    Paracetamol deaths yearly: 458 nationwide

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol_toxicity]Paracetamol toxicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]



    Oxy deaths yearly: 941 in Florida alone.

    Oxycodone top drug killer in Florida, especially in Pinellas and Pasco counties - St. Petersburg Times

    Adjust for the number of people who use each, and it's even more lopsided.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Yeah, when I prescribe opiate pain killers I always make it either contains ibuprofen if they need additional short term help for pain management or no other analgesic. Acetaminophen only has a minimal role the treatments that I prescribe.
    You prescribe ibuprofen for osteoarthritis?

    Ibuprofen May Boost Chance Of Heart Problems In High Risk Patients With Osteoarthritis

    Or for broken bones?

    Painkillers may prevent broken bones healing - 05 June 2002 - New Scientist

    NSAIDs inhibit bone healing - The Boston Globe

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Acetaminophen is something you'd want for a fever not for pain. Take some tylenol the next time you break a bone and see how well it works.
    Acetaminophen is an excellent pain reliever for light pain such as headaches and backaches, and is good for folks who can't take aspirin or ibuprofen because of GI problems.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #40
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Panel Recommends Ban on 2 Popular Painkillers

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Two grams is a small dose for inducing lethal effects in medicine, yes. What other drugs are going to kill you if you take double the dose?

    From your link, they say take two 500mg pills. 500mg is half a gram. If you take two of them like the label says, that one gram. People can suffer serious injuries or even death at doses as low as two grams. That's double the recommended dose.
    Really?

    In adults, single doses above 10 grams or 200 mg/kg of bodyweight, whichever is lower, have a reasonable likelihood of causing toxicity.[1][2] Toxicity can also occur when multiple smaller doses within 24 hours exceeds these levels.[2] Following a normal dose of 1 gram of paracetamol four times a day, one-third of patients may have a minor increase in their liver function tests to three times the normal value.[3] It is unlikely that this dose would lead to liver failure.[4] Studies have shown significant hepatotoxicity is uncommon in patients who have taken greater than normal doses over 3 to 4 days.[5] In adults, a dose of 6 grams a day over the preceding 48 hours could potentially lead to toxicity
    2 grams =/= 10 grams.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •