Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 590

Thread: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

  1. #191
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    I spent 4 years active duty and 21 years AF reserve so my only experience with "close" quarters was in Vietnam. Even our enlisted live in dorm style quarters after technical school training and even in most AF tech schools the closest quarters that we had was similar to college dorms. Long story short I really cannot claim a personnal perspective on what living in close quarters are. Therefore my new view of DADT is from an Air Force experience. No we are not spoiled we just don't live like the Army. Maybe AirForce Special Forces is closer to you guys in combat arms.

    NO !! We did not get snow days off in Vietnam LOL It did drop down to 84 dergrees one cold windy night in the Central Highlands.
    The most privacy I ever had in the service, before getting married and having, "our", own crib, was three men to one room, with one latrine. Midway of that, would be five men to a room, sharing a latrine with the rest of the platoon, about thirty-five men. The minimum was open bay barracks, with 30+ men and a communal latrine shared by approximately 60 men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #192
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    Therefore the issues of racila intergration in the ARmed Forces and allowing open gayness is not the same al all.
    While race and sexual orientation differ, the reasons for segregating blacks were very similar to the reasons for excluding gays... unit cohesion, morale, discipline problems. The argument was made that blacks and whites simply could not fight and live alongside one another. That's exactly the same argument made about gays and straights. So yes, for the purposes of military policy, there's virtually no difference.

    .

  3. #193
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    While race and sexual orientation differ, the reasons for segregating blacks were very similar to the reasons for excluding gays... unit cohesion, morale, discipline problems. The argument was made that blacks and whites simply could not fight and live alongside one another. That's exactly the same argument made about gays and straights. So yes, for the purposes of military policy, there's virtually no difference..
    I understand that same arguements are used but I am just poitingout that the same arguements should not logically apply.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  4. #194
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It doesn't matter what the policy should be, it matters what the policy is.

    He broke the rules and suffer the consequences.
    I don't think any one has argued that point.

  5. #195
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    I understand that same arguements are used but I am just poitingout that the same arguements should not logically apply.
    What other arguments are there? Maybe I am missing something, but I have not heard of any other arguments against gays serving openly, and all the arguments I have heard have been shown to be nonissues.

  6. #196
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    That is not the only issue. This is an example of seeking special rights for gays and to discriminate against heterosexuals unless women and men are also integrated into the same units.

    Why should it be that only gays could meet lovers or a future spouse in their unit? Why should only gays be able to shower with others they find sexually attractive like a live porn show? Why should only gays be allowed to dine, bunk, talk, etc with someone of possible romantic interest and attraction?

    If heterosexuals can't shower with naked women and bunk with women and dine with women, then gays shouldn't be able to do those things with other men. Either women have to be integrated with men or gays and heterosexuals segregated. The same visa versa for women in service.
    Last edited by joko104; 07-03-09 at 01:02 AM.

  7. #197
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What, I'm not as qualified as you are? Is this where we get into a dick measuring contest about who had crotch-rot the most and who had to eat the most snakes?
    Dick measuring contests? Eating snakes? Shower fantasies? Are you absolutely SURE you aren't gay?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #198
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    That is not the only issue. This is an example of seeking special rights for gays and to discriminate against heterosexuals unless women and men are also integrated into the same units.

    Why should it be that only gays could meet lovers or a future spouse in their unit? Why should only gays be able to shower with others they find sexually attractive like a live porn show? Why should only gays be allowed to dine, bunk, talk, etc with someone of possible romantic interest and attraction?

    If heterosexuals can't shower with naked women and bunk with women and dine with women, then gays shouldn't be able to do those things with other men. Either women have to be integrated with men or gays and heterosexuals segregated. The same visa versa for women in service.
    I do not know where your information came from, but men and women are free to shower and sleep and dine with whoever they want to after basic training (BT). The dorms are coed. In BT, there is no time for romance, so it does not matter. If someone is looking for a lover in BT, they do not belong in the military.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  9. #199
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I do not know where your information came from, but men and women are free to shower and sleep and dine with whoever they want to after basic training (BT).
    But, not in military billets, they're not. Males aren't even allowed to even be present in female billets--and vice versa--much less in the showers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #200
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Gay West Point grad testifies before Army

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Why should it be that only gays could meet lovers or a future spouse in their unit? Why should only gays be able to shower with others they find sexually attractive like a live porn show? Why should only gays be allowed to dine, bunk, talk, etc with someone of possible romantic interest and attraction?
    Therein lies the problem. Two gay lovers in the same unit; the unit is on the attack/defense; one of the lovers is wounded; the other lover drops out of the fight to tend to his/her lover; thereby compromising the mission.

    Everyone stop and think that your life hangs in the balance. You want you life, or the life of your son/daughter jeopordized by that situation?
    Last edited by apdst; 07-03-09 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •