Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

  1. #11
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,785

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think it's clear the president was trying to subvert their constitution, and therefore the will of the people. He wanted more than his entitled term.
    He was trying to subvert the will of the people by asking what they thought about extending term limits?

  2. #12
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,957

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    He was trying to subvert the will of the people by asking what they thought about extending term limits?
    Yea, that is clear subversion for a right winger, where as a military coup by right wingers is okay!
    PeteEU

  3. #13
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,785

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yea, that is clear subversion for a right winger, where as a military coup by right wingers is okay!
    Yes clearly allowing citizens to vote on their future like that was too much of an affront to the will people. Only mass arrests of oppossition members could defend democracy

  4. #14
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,957

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Yes clearly allowing citizens to vote on their future like that was too much of an affront to the will people. Only mass arrests of oppossition members could defend democracy
    Yea exactly. Democracy and civil rights and human rights are only good as long as the "right wing" is in power. When the "left wing" is in power then there is no democracy or civil rights or human rights, and the "right wing" has ever right to overthrow said government regardless of what nation.. aint that the prevailing ideology that is spreading more and more in the right?
    PeteEU

  5. #15
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,881

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Maybe when you guys get done fellating each other, you'll take some time to appreciate the irony of your own left-side-blindered positions here.
    It's not "tolerance" if you already approve of what you purport to "tolerate."

  6. #16
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,785

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Maybe when you guys get done fellating each other, you'll take some time to appreciate the irony of your own left-side-blindered positions here.
    Well its your ilk thats defending a military government that has started to surpress opossition within days of taking power while claiming that a referendum is an affront to democracy.

  7. #17
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,785

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yea exactly. Democracy and civil rights and human rights are only good as long as the "right wing" is in power. When the "left wing" is in power then there is no democracy or civil rights or human rights, and the "right wing" has ever right to overthrow said government regardless of what nation.. aint that the prevailing ideology that is spreading more and more in the right?
    I dont think its so much prevailing as pretty much the standard pattern that liberal democracy follows. Democracy is allowed to a limited extent in the political spere but as soon as this extends to the economic spere were [particually in Latin America] a small amount of people reign supreme then its no longer democracy as far as they are concerned.

  8. #18
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,881

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Well its your ilk thats defending a military government that has started to surpress opossition within days of taking power while claiming that a referendum is an affront to democracy.
    My ilk? I'm rather consistently in favor of democratic liberty and processes, and if you can show otherwise, that I defend some "right-wing" government suppressing them somewhere, please do. The point is that both of you guys have done little but yawning when it comes to the misdeeds of left-wing strongmen vis-a-vis liberty. Very little worry about democratic rights in those cases . . .
    It's not "tolerance" if you already approve of what you purport to "tolerate."

  9. #19
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,957

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Maybe when you guys get done fellating each other, you'll take some time to appreciate the irony of your own left-side-blindered positions here.
    Give me a break.

    The US right is the most hypocritical bunch of people around at the moment.

    How can you even defend the comments of Senator DeMint about supporting a coup d'etat against a freely democratic elected government? Not only is he breaking the GOPs own "rule" not to contradict official US policy, but he is also showing his very anti-democratic side by supporting a military coup!
    PeteEU

  10. #20
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,881

    Re: Honduras leader says country ready to ‘go to war’ as riots flare

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    How can you even defend the comments of Senator DeMint about supporting a coup d'etat against a freely democratic elected government?
    Where exactly did I do that?
    It's not "tolerance" if you already approve of what you purport to "tolerate."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •