Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 89

Thread: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

  1. #51
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Hedge funds are lightly regulated precisely because there is great amount of assumed risk involved with them.
    That is why they have income and minimum net worth requirements.

    If the money was invested by an agent of the investor that person is liable for damages because they haven't done their due diligence with investing others money.



    If someone is ruined because of one investment faltering, they at least have a large chunk of their money invested.

    Hedge funds are risky, there is a For Dummies guide that costs about $20 that could have explained everything they needed to know about investing with them.
    I'm sure the firemen and police in Colorado would love to have a copy of the Dummie book, since they had 60 million dollars of their pension money invested there.

    Explain exactly what a funds manager could have done to know that Madoff was a crook???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #52
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    That is all fine and good as long as the guy runing it is not running a ponzi scheme.
    It's all good now though, he's going to jail.
    I just don't have that much sympathy for the investors who put all or most of their money in this, they did something very, very stupid.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's all good now though, he's going to jail.
    I just don't have that much sympathy for the investors who put all or most of their money in this, they did something very, very stupid.
    Had Madoff been honest I'm sure they would have pulled their money.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I'm sure the firemen and police in Colorado would love to have a copy of the Dummie book, since they had 60 million dollars of their pension money invested there.
    The person who decided to invest retirement money in a hedge fund should be fired. That is just not ethical for them to do that.

    Hedge funds are play things for people with too much money, they are not for institutions to invest retirement funds into.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Explain exactly what a funds manager could have done to know that Madoff was a crook???
    I'm not sure, but one thing I know is that you don't invest money you don't want to loose.

    There are no guarantees in life, nothing is safe in the investing world.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #55
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Had Madoff been honest I'm sure they would have pulled their money.
    His honesty doesn't matter, as an individual investor I know that I should not put all or most of my money into one thing unless I'm prepared to loose it.

    Diversifying will protect you from large losses.
    A legitimate investment could fall tomorrow and wipe out someones life savings.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #56
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not sure, but one thing I know is that you don't invest money you don't want to loose.

    There are no guarantees in life, nothing is safe in the investing world.
    That philosophy sure didn't help the people that invested in GM corporate bonds did it??

    They were told their money was as safe as a baby in his mother's arms, but Obama screwed them out of their money didn't he?

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #57
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not sure, but one thing I know is that you don't invest money you don't want to loose.

    There are no guarantees in life, nothing is safe in the investing world.
    So people should not invest for their retirement? You have gone from blaming the victim, to saying some even more outrageous stuff.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    That philosophy sure didn't help the people that invested in GM corporate bonds did it??

    They were told their money was as safe as a baby in his mother's arms, but Obama screwed them out of their money didn't he?
    That is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes, although I think the pres usurped bankruptcy law in doing what he did.

    I don't think what he did was legal either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So people should not invest for their retirement? You have gone from blaming the victim, to saying some even more outrageous stuff.
    I didn't say that, lets make this very clear.

    Hedge funds are not for retirement funds.

    Do you know how hedge funds earn their money?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #59
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So you don't mind your tax money going to non-violent life sentences over people who are actually threats to society?
    Depends on the crime. Saying that non-violent crimes in some cases cannot be as damaging or more damaging then violent crimes would be inaccurate.

  10. #60
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Hedge funds are lightly regulated precisely because there is great amount of assumed risk involved with them.
    That is why they have income and minimum net worth requirements.

    If the money was invested by an agent of the investor that person is liable for damages because they haven't done their due diligence with investing others money.



    If someone is ruined because of one investment faltering, they at least have a large chunk of their money invested.

    Hedge funds are risky, there is a For Dummies guide that costs about $20 that could have explained everything they needed to know about investing with them.
    Regardless, the government had to make a statement, to the world, that this will not be tolerated. He provided no additional information about the scheme, which could help find any remaining assets. Without a doubt, there is money tucked away in different places, as he was doing this for decades.

    IMHO, they should have hung him....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •