Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Why do you have a problem with the suggestion that those who prey on little children should be exterminated?
    Because we live in a system of law and order and we must respect due process. Unless you want to live like a group savages like this was lord of the flies, you must accept that fact.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Because we live in a system of law and order and we must respect due process. Unless you want to live like a group savages like this was lord of the flies, you must accept that fact.
    Why, you're absolutely correct.

    We give him a fair trial.....then feed him to the rats.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Why, you're absolutely correct.

    We give him a fair trial.....then feed him to the rats.
    hey i got the conch here, let me speak before you bludgeon you head with a large rock

  4. #24
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    hey i got the conch here, let me speak before you bludgeon you head with a large rock
    When did this descend to Lord of the Flies?

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-27-09 @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    740

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    When did this descend to Lord of the Flies?
    the original post

  6. #26
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    the original post
    Well, to be fair, he did call for the Orkin man.

    I figured it was to get rid of all the flies.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    We can all have our emotional sentiments, of course, but I think it's problematic when some propose them as serious or legitimate policy perspectives. A pattern of demands for capital punishment is typically the outlet for this emotional reaction, which leads to an effective lynch mob mentality that's ultimately counterproductive. For example, Garland (2007, The Peculiar Forms of American Capital Punishment, Social Research, Vol 74, pp 435-464) notes that:

    [T]oday's death penalty is a negative mirror image of a public torture lynching—an inverse institution, a disavowal, calculated to resist and deny any such association. But substantively, many of the same social forces that previously prompted lynchings nowadays prompt capital punishment; many of the same social functions performed by lynching then are performed by capital punishment now; and much the same political structures that permitted lynchings then, enable capital punishment now.
    This is often in blatant conflict with rational approaches focused on deterrence of future crimes. As noted, inflicting the death penalty upon rapists provides a perverse incentive for them to murder their victims (and violently resist attempts at police capture) because no greater punishment will exist for them. This isn't a factor immediately considered by the bloodthirsty, which could have the cost of ultimately causing more violent and brutal crimes than those they originally emotionally reacted to.

  8. #28
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,069

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz Peeps View Post
    Because we live in a system of law and order and we must respect due process. Unless you want to live like a group savages like this was lord of the flies, you must accept that fact.
    IF the man is found guilty then what do you think should happen to him? If they decided to act like Vermont in regard to those who prey on children and give than man a light slap on the wrist will you say justice has been served?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Ugh, is that another Cashman reference? That got tiresome a while ago.

  10. #30
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,069

    Re: Prosecutor: 6-year-old girl in leg shackles escapes from would-be rapist in US

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    We can all have our emotional sentiments, of course, but I think it's problematic when some propose them as serious or legitimate policy perspectives. A pattern of demands for capital punishment is typically the outlet for this emotional reaction, which leads to an effective lynch mob mentality that's ultimately counterproductive. For example, Garland (2007, The Peculiar Forms of American Capital Punishment, Social Research, Vol 74, pp 435-464) notes that:
    Punishment for various crimes exist to adequately punish those who have broken certain. There is nothing wrong with executions,life in prison and other punishments. Criminals are not hospital patients, they are criminals and therefore should be treated like criminals.



    This is often in blatant conflict with rational approaches focused on deterrence of future crimes. As noted, inflicting the death penalty upon rapists provides a perverse incentive for them to murder their victims (and violently resist attempts at police capture) because no greater punishment will exist for them. This isn't a factor immediately considered by the bloodthirsty, which could have the cost of ultimately causing more violent and brutal crimes than those they originally emotionally reacted to.
    Some of these child molesters do kill their victims and this was before many states started enacted capital punishment for them(which some twits in SC overturned those laws). So the "oh he might murder little Timmy instead of just raping him if he knows he might get executed for it" is a load of crap.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •