Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

  1. #1
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Honduras President Manuel Zelaya Deposed 'And Exiled To Venezuela' Before Consitutional Referendum | World News | Sky News

    This looks as though it could turn nasty lets hope this situation doesnt bring about another Pinochet

  2. #2
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    It sounds as if Zelaya wanted to be another Chavez and the other arms of government have taken him down. I do not know whether this is good or bad, but if the country turns more to military leadership, we may be looking at a Central American version of Pakistan.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    It sounds as if Zelaya wanted to be another Chavez and the other arms of government have taken him down. I do not know whether this is good or bad, but if the country turns more to military leadership, we may be looking at a Central American version of Pakistan.
    Pakistan is a bad analogy. Honduras doesn't have a Taliban haunting its borders, nor nuclear weapons, nor the means to acquire nuclear weapons.

    Chile is the better analogy, with a leftist (Allende) being overthrown by military junta (Pinochet).

    What I did not see in the article was specifically who was commanding the military forces arresting Zelaya. Am curious to see who's in the role of Pinochet.

  4. #4
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Pakistan is a bad analogy. Honduras doesn't have a Taliban haunting its borders, nor nuclear weapons, nor the means to acquire nuclear weapons.

    Chile is the better analogy, with a leftist (Allende) being overthrown by military junta (Pinochet).

    What I did not see in the article was specifically who was commanding the military forces arresting Zelaya. Am curious to see who's in the role of Pinochet.

    I've got plans to go to Honduras on a fishing trip. I hope this doesn't screw it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #5
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    It sounds as if Zelaya wanted to be another Chavez and the other arms of government have taken him down. I do not know whether this is good or bad, but if the country turns more to military leadership, we may be looking at a Central American version of Pakistan.
    Well ive got to admit I dont know much about the situation in Honduros but their is certainly a history in Latin America of unsavory characters taking over countrys using the false pretence that the country in question is going to be turned into a communist dictatorship. Jacobo Arbenz/Carlos Castillo Armas for example.

    Central American version of Pakistan in what sence?

  6. #6
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Well ive got to admit I dont know much about the situation in Honduros but their is certainly a history in Latin America of unsavory characters taking over countrys using the false pretence that the country in question is going to be turned into a communist dictatorship. Jacobo Arbenz/Carlos Castillo Armas for example.

    Central American version of Pakistan in what sence?
    I have to agree with Celticord on the better example of Chile. However, my reference to Pakistan was one of military control. Musharaff, for example, was general in the Pakistani military and basically ruled the country as such. He battled the Supreme Court and the legal scholars and lawyers of Pakistan for a long time, before finally stepping aside with much U.S. pressure. It appears in Honduras, the military is attempting to take over the government from elected leaders. This will be a terrible development for the country and region as a whole.

  7. #7
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I have to agree with Celticord on the better example of Chile. However, my reference to Pakistan was one of military control. Musharaff, for example, was general in the Pakistani military and basically ruled the country as such. He battled the Supreme Court and the legal scholars and lawyers of Pakistan for a long time, before finally stepping aside with much U.S. pressure. It appears in Honduras, the military is attempting to take over the government from elected leaders. This will be a terrible development for the country and region as a whole.
    Well I think the same applies to Chile as Guetamala. Salador Allende was in the process of moderating when he was overthrown, he was making overtures to more moderate factions while his former allies on the far left were acusing him of selling out. As in Guetamala saving the country from a fake totalitarian threat was a false pretence. Im not saying this is necessarily the case in Honduras im just saying its a history that needs taking into account.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    So Chavez says that he'll "abort" the coup? I wonder if they're prepared for military intervention.

  9. #9
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    So Chavez says that he'll "abort" the coup? I wonder if they're prepared for military intervention.
    If thats the case then I hope Uribe isnt thinking along similar lines

  10. #10
    Student angrycarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    234

    Re: Honduran President Manuel Zelaya Is Deposed

    Something to think about. We trained the Honduran military and operate a joint base there. We have 550 or so troops down there along with a lot of aircraft and hardware. What about our troops down there? Are they cut off? Will they be expelled? I haven't heard anything at all about them, I hope they are safe.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •