Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 114

Thread: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

  1. #31
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    UK will step up to no ones plate.
    And US should take a backseat.

    We have meddled enough in the Middle East and especially in Iran.
    That is as may be.

    Question:
    What if you are wrong in your assumption that Iran will not export its violence and its nuclear demons? The Islamic Republic is already the primary supporter of Hezbollah and Hamas, who have demonstrated repeatedly their willingness to slaughter Palestinians to feed their hatred of Israel. The Islamic Republic is the nation that denies the Holocaust, and that would that Israel cease to exist entirely.

    Regardless of what sins the US and the UK have committed in the past, how long until standing idly by becomes a more grievous sin?

    Acting now may be premature.....but what consequence if acting later is acting too late?

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    You've mentioned only the U.S. in your post.
    Why?
    Because many of the conservatives of this board in this thread (i.e. Americans) have suggested that we intervene in Iran. However, many times conservatives have not wanted to intervene in Darfur where the situation was WORSE. That is why I mentioned just the U.S.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Wrong the UN never ask the US not to invade Iraq I was sitting in the SC room when the vote was taken where the **** where you huh, don't forget TNE all of us Weapon team folks wanted to go back in.
    Um the UN protested the invasion of Iraq.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 06-27-09 at 02:44 PM.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Could you please elaborate?
    As I remember it from history class, it was the US alone who overthrew the Iranian regime.
    In 1951 if i remember my dates and history correctly Mossadegh was elected as Prime Minister where at the time, Iran was growing more nationalistic and wanted to nationalize the oil supplies, this was dangerous and alarmed Britain as it relied on Iran's oil.
    It tried a coup and failed and as a result Churchill turned to US for help but Truman refused but Eisenhower had no problem with it and overthrew Iran's elected Government and installed the shah which led to us losing Iran as an ally and in turn we turned to Iraq and Saddam.


  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Because many of the conservatives of this board in this thread (i.e. Americans) have suggested that we intervene in Iran. However, many times conservatives have not wanted to intervene in Darfur where the situation was WORSE. That is why I mentioned just the U.S.
    Wrong we wanted to go into Danfur but because of what the problem on the ground is it would be very hard to do a proper peace keeping Mission unless you are willing to let the US (and other Western Nations) control how what is going ot be done the UN wasn't going to allow this.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Um the UN protested the invasion of Iraq.
    Once again NO THEY DIDN'T I ASK YOU AGAIN WHERE YOU IN THE SECURITY COUNCLE WHEN THE VOTE WAS TAKEN I WAS.

  7. #37
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    In 1951 if i remember my dates and history correctly Mossadegh was elected as Prime Minister where at the time, Iran was growing more nationalistic and wanted to nationalize the oil supplies, this was dangerous and alarmed Britain as it relied on Iran's oil.
    It tried a coup and failed and as a result Churchill turned to US for help but Truman refused but Eisenhower had no problem with it and overthrew Iran's elected Government and installed the shah which led to us losing Iran as an ally and in turn we turned to Iraq and Saddam.
    It was in 1953, but you are absolutely correct.
    I confused the coup with the installment of the Shah, my mistake.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #38
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Regardless of what sins the US and the UK have committed in the past, how long until standing idly by becomes a more grievous sin?

    Acting now may be premature.....but what consequence if acting later is acting too late?
    I believe we can stand idly by for a very long time, we will not and should not get involved.

    Britain has done the right thing. We expelled their diplomats sure but we will not join US or any other nation in any form of action against Iran.

    Our history and actions is one of the factors which has led to this.
    If US and UK did not invade and destroy democracy in Iran and install a dictator, do you think Ahmadinejad would be President now? I do not.


  9. #39
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Hmmmm so this is the situation:

    So Iranian government terrorizes citizens equals bad, and U.S. MUST intervene. However, when in Darfur the government was killing thousands and displacing and terrorizing millions of people from their homes via genocide equals don't care, let someone else handle it.

    Interesting.
    Not that interesting. Tragic, yes, but a most pedestrian and repeated tragedy.

    Darfur is localized, and none are threatened but those in Darfur. It is a self-contained tragedy.

    Iran is a tragedy that is not contained, and which may or may not be easily containable. Iran is a nation with both a history and an ambition of empire. Iran is a nation with nuclear technology. Iran is a nation of strong faith, and a fervent belief in the virtue of martyrdom. Iran is not merely tolerant of terrorism, but is an exporter of terrorism.

    Inevitably, events in Iran touch on more interests of more nations than Darfur. We pay greater attention to Iran because it is the clearer and more present danger to ourselves.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Iran: Night Raids Terrorize Civilians

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Once again NO THEY DIDN'T I ASK YOU AGAIN WHERE YOU IN THE SECURITY COUNCLE WHEN THE VOTE WAS TAKEN I WAS.
    Since you want caps....THEY DIDN'T SUPPORT AN INVASION OF IRAQ.

    There like that?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •