Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 182

Thread: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

  1. #121
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Power generation from massive plants requires government intervention.
    If we switched to DC from AC it wouldn't have to be that way but making such a switch would be a mind boggling over haul.
    Of course we can't make it DC, but what exactly is the hindrance in our power grid due to the fact that we use AC? I took an into physics course on E&M so I don't understand all that much about it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #122
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Of course we can't make it DC, but what exactly is the hindrance in our power grid due to the fact that we use AC? I took an into physics course on E&M so I don't understand all that much about it.
    We could make it DC but we would have to retrofit every single house with a inverters so that electronics can run off of our new grid. Then we would have to slowly introduce DC powered products and phase out AC items.

    DC power is better over short distances so it would serve a local competitive market better.
    AC power is better for long distances and can serve a regional area in many instances.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #123
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    We could make it DC but we would have to retrofit every single house with a inverters so that electronics can run off of our new grid. Then we would have to slowly introduce DC powered products and phase out AC items.

    DC power is better over short distances so it would serve a local competitive market better.
    AC power is better for long distances and can serve a regional area in many instances.
    But what about AC forces power plants to be government controlled?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #124
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    But what about AC forces power plants to be government controlled?
    They aren't government controlled per se, but it takes a huge amount of money to erect them. The government helps pay for a lot of it.
    I would prefer localized power generation, however, its near impossible to get anyone to support it.

    Localized power generation would be more adaptable to market conditions and can come from varying sources (solar, micro-nuclear, coal, etc.).
    Hell, even Edison agreed that we should be using DC instead of AC.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #125
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tase Me Bro View Post
    Correct. The Republicans, as well as 44 Democrats, showed they do not vote for 1200 page job killing bills they haven't read.
    They should really put word limits on these things. Seriously. If you can't fit it into 2,000 words it's worthless.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    A VERY important thing to remember is that CO2 is not a pollutant.
    Well, a VERY important think to actually know is that CO is a pollutant.

    There is healthy skepticism. And there is moronic denialism.

    I don't know why I bother, you obviously will never get it.

  7. #127
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They aren't government controlled per se, but it takes a huge amount of money to erect them. The government helps pay for a lot of it.
    I would prefer localized power generation, however, its near impossible to get anyone to support it.

    Localized power generation would be more adaptable to market conditions and can come from varying sources (solar, micro-nuclear, coal, etc.).
    Hell, even Edison agreed that we should be using DC instead of AC.
    Ok, I see what you mean now. The main thing that I liked with DC over AC was that all of the equations and problems related to it were much simpler.

    Why won't people support more local power generation?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #128
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Well, a VERY important think to actually know is that CO is a pollutant.
    CO is a pollutant, CO2 is not. Huge difference. We breathe out CO2 and it is useful to plants. CO is harmful to both us and plants (probably fungi too).

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #129
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    They should really put word limits on these things. Seriously. If you can't fit it into 2,000 words it's worthless.
    They'll neer do that. They wouldn't be able to throw all the useless crap in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: House narrowly passes major energy-climate bill

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Ok, I see what you mean now. The main thing that I liked with DC over AC was that all of the equations and problems related to it were much simpler.
    I was trying to teach my self basic electronics and I couldn't finish the book because I don't know calculus. I was trying to get a head start on my part of my major.

    Your absolutely right.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Why won't people support more local power generation?
    In some ways it can be counted as local and it other ways it isn't.
    The plant closest to me is about 20 miles away, so it can kinda be considered local.
    It isn't really practical to use AC to generate power locally when you can use it to generate power regionally.

    DC has many added benefits like the fact that it is safer if you get electrocuted. The electric chair was invented to prove how dangerous AC power generation could be.

    But like I said earlier, you'd have to retrofit every home with a true sine wave inverter until people bought all new tvs, computers, other electronics, nearly everything. Not many want to do that.
    True sine wave inverters are expensive.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •