Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 326

Thread: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

  1. #271
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Agreed. Iraq has a long border with Iran. Iran has a lengthy coastline.

    Seems to me even the potential of weapons wandering into Iran would keep the military and the Pasdaran busy worrying about border security. Every unit tied down in border duty is one less unit that can be called out to suppress protests.
    Send in the Mexicans.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Lenin himself admitted his avid support for Robespierre and that it was Robespierre's reign of terror that inspired the red terror. Are you honestly defending Robespierre?

    The Shah was better than the tyrant Mossadeq. At least the Shah never dissolved parliament through a fraudulent referendum and I'm not the one from a country who still celebrates a tyrannical dictator like Napoleon.


    Bonaparte was useful when every foreign armies were waging wars on France to try to end the Republic; the Kings and Queens of Europe loathed the Revolution just like some of you still do today. If you ask me would I do the Revolution again my answer is yes.

    Robespierre himself has killed less people than Johnson, Nixon or Dubya; and what did any of your grand Presidents achieved in Vietnam or Iraq aside from removing their own sorry butts? Would you please give us your first hand impressions would you do it again?
    Last edited by paris; 06-29-09 at 08:18 PM.

  3. #273
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post


    Bonaparte was useful when every foreign armies were waging wars on France to try to end the Republic; the Kings and Queens of Europe loathed the Revolution just like some of you still do today. If you ask me would I do the Revolution again my answer is yes.

    Robespierre himself has killed less people than Johnson, Nixon or Dubya; and what did any of your grand Presidents achieved in Vietnam or Iraq aside from removing their own sorry butts? Would you please give us your first hand impressions would you do it again?
    OH, OH I KNOW! What they did was disgrace their presidencies. And their names. And they made the US some more enemies ( as if we didn't have enuogh already).
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post


    Bonaparte was useful when every foreign armies were waging wars on France
    to try to end the Republic;
    First of all the French Republic did not exist before Bonaparte unless you consider the government of the mass murderer Robespierre to be a Republican system of governance.

    Second of all it is Napoleon himself that destroyed what little Rebulicanism that was there when he overthrew the Constitution of 1795 and it was he that was waging war against Europe. Napoleon did the same exact thing that Hitler did in the Weimar Republic IE destroyed it then proceeded engaging in an aggressive war of imperialist expansionism.

    the Kings and Queens of Europe loathed the Revolution just like some of you still do today.
    Napoleon was a king.

    If you ask me would I do the Revolution again my answer is yes.
    And would you likewise say yes to the reign of terror?

    Robespierre himself has killed less people than Johnson, Nixon or Dubya; and what did any of your grand Presidents achieved in Vietnam or Iraq aside from removing their own sorry butts? Would you please give us your first hand impressions would you do it again?
    Johnson and Nixon were engaged in a war against Communist expansionism, Ho Chi Mihn killed more people both before and after U.S. intervention than the U.S. ever did but of course his "revolution" followed the Robespierre model.

    As to Iraq we have achieved an actual Constitutional Republican system of governance that has actually lasted longer than the first French so called Republic.

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    I have answered your question but you have not told me, would you do the Vietnam and Iraq wars all over again considering Johnson, Nixon and Bush are bigger mass murderers than Robespierre?

    I enjoy your interest in history and your focus on France but could you tell about all the people who died at the hands of the US gouvernment, perhaps you could start with the Native Americans?

  6. #276
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    I have answered your question but you have not told me, would you do the Vietnam and Iraq wars all over again considering Johnson, Nixon and Bush are bigger mass murderers than Robespierre?

    I enjoy your interest in history and your focus on France but could you tell about all the people who died at the hands of the US gouvernment, perhaps you could start with the Native Americans?
    Yeah, why don't we just skate around the point? Robespierre was a nutjob. We all know it. The French Revolution was an abject failure. The people would have been better off witht he monarchs. Yeah they might be hungry, but thousands of them would have been alive. Those that would have starved under the monarchs, still starved when Robespierre and his ilk took over. Robespierre deserved what he got...the guillotine.

    As for your comparisons, care to speculate how many people would have died if Robespierre had access to machine guns?

    BTW, fighting valid wars against an enemy and having collateral damage (Bush and Vietnam Presidents) is different from ignighting a campaign of violence against your own citizens.

    There is really no excuse for our treatment of the Indians, but they at least weren't our citizens unlike the targets of Robespierre's Great Terror.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    I have answered your question but you have not told me, would you do the Vietnam and Iraq wars all over again considering Johnson, Nixon and Bush are bigger mass murderers than Robespierre?
    Roughly 40,000 people were executed during the reign of terror which lasted one year. I think Robespierre takes the award for most prolific mass murderer between them since all the others were prosecuting wars and not lining their own citizens up for beheading.

    I enjoy your interest in history and your focus on France but could you tell about all the people who died at the hands of the US gouvernment, perhaps you could start with the Native Americans?
    A people displaced by social advancement. Yes, it was a tragic thing, that whole sordid affair. However, it is not as if America was the first to so so and I do believe when it started we were still colonies of Europe. Yes, that means the French are just as complicit in the whole mess.

  8. #278
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    Yeah, why don't we just skate around the point? Robespierre was a nutjob. We all know it. The French Revolution was an abject failure. The people would have been better off witht he monarchs. Yeah they might be hungry, but thousands of them would have been alive. Those that would have starved under the monarchs, still starved when Robespierre and his ilk took over. Robespierre deserved what he got...the guillotine.

    As for your comparisons, care to speculate how many people would have died if Robespierre had access to machine guns?

    BTW, fighting valid wars against an enemy and having collateral damage (Bush and Vietnam Presidents) is different from ignighting a campaign of violence against your own citizens.

    There is really no excuse for our treatment of the Indians, but they at least weren't our citizens unlike the targets of Robespierre's Great Terror.
    Ah the guillotine, btw do you still practice the death penalty in the USA today thats so passé.

  9. #279
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Roughly 40,000 people were executed during the reign of terror which lasted one year. I think Robespierre takes the award for most prolific mass murderer between them since all the others were prosecuting wars and not lining their own citizens up for beheading.



    A people displaced by social advancement. Yes, it was a tragic thing, that whole sordid affair. However, it is not as if America was the first to so so and I do believe when it started we were still colonies of Europe. Yes, that means the French are just as complicit in the whole mess.
    Roughly 5.000.000 people died because of the US operation in Vietnam which lasted 10 years, that's 500.000 a year so sorry, Johnson and Nixon take the lead - do you have the latest numbers for Iraq?




    Perhaps by your logic you could also come to the conclusion that the French Revolution started because of France's involvment in the American Revolution and share some responsibility for our dead too?

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Perhaps by your logic you could also come to the conclusion that the French Revolution started because of France's involvment in the American Revolution and share some responsibility for our dead too?
    Sure. I have no qualms about taking credit for dead frenchmen.

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •