Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 326

Thread: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

  1. #211
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Do you never tire of sounding like you are in third grade?
    You don't listen so well do you kiddo?

    Once again we have a lot of OPINION laced with a lot of “because you say so” with little substance or historic fact to back it all up.
    Can you disprove anything I said? No. You can't.
    Do some reading and become “informed” rather than sound like a childish know-it-all. Here are some facts:
    This will be fun!
    “It took the Soviet troops three months to force the Finnish government to agree to Stalin's original demands. Although the world was now aware of Stalin's shrewdness in foreign affairs, Finland's small army of 200,000 men had exposed the Soviet Union's poorly trained and equipped army.”
    So? The Finns just had higher morale at the time and were on the defense in good terrain. The Red Army had just experienced a major purge and lost many, many leaders. The Russians still got what they wanted and eventually beat Germany as well. Your original point had no relevancy whatsoever to begin with, but I appreciate your continued harping on a non-issue.
    Stalin was still highly suspicious of Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt and was worried about them signing a peace agreement with Adolf Hitler. The foreign policies of the capitalist countries since the October Revolution had convinced Stalin that their main objective was the destruction of the communist system in the Soviet Union. Stalin was fully aware that if Britain and the USA withdrew from the war, the Red Army would have great difficulty in dealing with Germany on its own.
    What is your point here? Stalin was paranoid sociopath. He saw conspiracies behind every curtain and killed or imprisoned his own soldiers by the thousands. He didn't trust Churchill or FDR. Who didn't see that coming? Stalin's pleadings to Churchill and FDR were well in advance of his victories on the eastern front. The second front wasn't opened until after the Red Army had the Germans on the run and fighting defensive actions.

    At Teheran, Stalin reminded Churchill and Roosevelt of a previous promise of landing troops in Western Europe in 1942. Later they postponed it to the spring of 1943. Stalin complained that it was now November and there was still no sign of an allied invasion of France. After lengthy discussions it was agreed that the Allies would mount a major offensive in the spring of 1944. “
    And Stalin had already broken the Axis advance and was steadily pushing westward before that promised 1944 offensive ever came into being.

    What.

    Is.

    Your.

    Point?

    Stalin's troops struggled to hold the Eastern front against the Nazi forces, and the Soviets began pleading for a British invasion of France immediately after the Nazi invasion in 1941. In 1942, Roosevelt unwisely promised the Soviets that the Allies would open the second front that autumn. Although Stalin only grumbled when the invasion was postponed until 1943, he exploded the following year when the invasion was postponed again until May of 1944. In retaliation, Stalin recalled his ambassadors from London and Washington and fears soon arose that the Soviets might seek a separate peace with Germany.”
    Of course they struggled, until they started kicking the hell out of the Axis powers and pushing them back towards Germany. Well before D-Day occurred. Let me show you something.

    Here is a map of German advances in 1941...


    Now here is the Soviet counter offensive from 41 to 42...


    Here is the continuation of the counter offensive from 42-43...


    And here his the Soviet rolling the Germans back from 43-44...


    From the Soviet viewpoint that would be only slightly less disastrous
    than being defeated by Germany
    . Stalin wants the Germans defeated, but he is perfectly willing to make a separate peace with the Germans as long as that peace puts the Soviet Union back at its pre-German invasion borders. The Germans aren't willing to go along with that, partly because they don't think they need to, and partly because they don't trust the Soviets not to reenter the war after the Germans and the Western Allies have exhausted each other. The Russian people have suffered enough at German hands that the idea of a separate peace with the Germans would not be popular, but Stalin has the tools to make public opinion irrelevant.”

    “If it looks like the western allies are going to get too much of the fruits of victory, some sort of short-term deal could be arranged with the Germans--either a tacit agreement to stop offensive operations for a while so the Germans can concentrate on the allies, or a separate peace. Either way, the Soviet Union needs victories, and it needs them now.”
    Really, if you are going to cut and paste like this, offer the context to the argument you are trying to make.

    No, they lost 20,000,000 men and were still well within Russia.
    And they beat the **** out of the Wermacht as evidenced by the maps above. Did or did not the Red Army begin a full on advance against the Germans and start driving them back west prior to D-Day? Yes or no? Please answer the question.

    To be continued....
    *insert profound statement here*

  2. #212
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    You can claim everything is false till you are blue in the face, but right up until the attack on Pearl Harbor, America was perfectly fine selling it’s steel and resources to the highest bidder in an act of neutrality.
    Wrong.

    Again. Source.

    After January 1940, the United States combined a strategy of increasing aid to China through larger credits and the Lend-Lease program with a gradual move towards an embargo on the trade of all militarily useful items with Japan. The Japanese Government made several decisions during these two years that exacerbated the situation. Unable or unwilling to control the military, Japan's political leaders sought greater security by establishing the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" in August, 1940. In so doing they announced Japan's intention to drive the Western imperialist nations from Asia. However, this Japanese-led project aimed to enhance Japan's economic and material wealth so that it would not be dependent upon supplies from the West, and not to "liberate" the long-subject peoples of Asia. In fact, Japan would have to launch a campaign of military conquest and rule, and did not intend to pull out of China. At the same time, several pacts with Western nations only made Japan appear more of a threat to the United States. First, Japan signed the Tripartite Pact with Germany and Italy on September 27, 1940 and thereby linked the conflicts in Europe and Asia. This made China a potential ally in the global fight against fascism. Then in mid-1941, Japan signed a Neutrality Pact with the Soviet Union, making it clear that Japan's military would be moving into Southeast Asia, where the United States had greater interests. A third agreement with Vichy France enabled Japanese forces to move into Indochina and begin their Southern Advance. The United States responded to this growing threat by temporarily halting negotiations with Japanese diplomats, instituting a full embargo on exports to Japan, freezing Japanese assets in U.S. banks, and sending supplies into China along the Burma Road. Although negotiations restarted after the United States increasingly enforced an embargo against Japan, they made little headway. Diplomats in Washington came close to agreements on a couple of occasions, but pro-Chinese sentiments in the United States made it difficult to reach any resolution that would not involve a Japanese withdrawal from China, and such a condition was unacceptable to Japan's military leaders.
    Source.
    Why did Japan attack the United States? This is a more complicated question. Japan knew the United States was economically and military powerful, but it was not afraid of any American attack on its islands. Japan did worry however, that the Americans might help the Chinese resist the Japanese invasion of their country. When President Roosevelt stopped U.S. shipments of steel and oil the Japan, he was doing exactly this: the Japanese are dependent on other countries for raw materials, for they have almost none on their own islands. Without imports of steel and oil, the Japanese military could not fight for long. Without oil, the navy would not be able to move after it had exhausted its six-month reserve. Roosevelt hoped that this economic pressure would force Japan to end its military expansion in East Asia.

    The Japanese military saw another solution to the problem: if it could quickly conquer the British and Dutch colonies in Southeast Asia and gain complete control of the oil, rubber, and other raw materials it needed, then it could defend its interests in China and Indochina against those Europeans who were now busy fighting a major war in Europe against the Germans and Italians. The only force that could stop the Japanese was the American Pacific fleet--which was conveniently gathered close to Japan at Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii. Knowing that many Americans did not want to fight a war against Japan, the military thought that if it suddenly destroyed the U.S. fleet, America would simply give up and allow Japan to consolidate its grasp on East Asia.

    Without the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the German declaration of war on us, Americans would have been content with sitting this one out.
    No kidding? WOW! It only took Japan attacking us and Germany declaring war upon us to get us involved in World War II? That's it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    I am always baffled when you repeat the OBVIOUS;

    Many even sympathized with German efforts and there was a lot of talk of lucrative trade with Nazi Germany.
    Relevance?

    No, what you have shown once again is that you are woefully inadequate to the task of forming a coherent point of view that even has a relevant point and wandering off onto incoherent tirades which make little sense.
    What??? My eyes just shot blood from this sentence. Nothing about my commentary was incoherent, it was in fact easily understood and made perfect sense. You've not disproved a single point I've made as of yet. You typed...err, cut and pasted...a bunch of text but offered little to no context. Further what you posted didn't really address the points I made.

    I've now substantiated my case that Soviets were on the offensive and driving the Germans backwards well before D-Day ever occurred and I've proven you wrong regarding your assertion that we were happily selling them steel up until they attacked Pearl Harbor. You sir, are ignorant of fact on this subject matter.

    Carry on.
    Yay!
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #213
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    You would have to go back a few posts. We started talking about how Europe shouldn't be able to criticise any potential U.S. response, because U.S. armed response was what saved them in WWII. Apparently, some people find that debatable...
    It's very debatable.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #214
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    It's very debatable.
    To you maybe.

    Red Army occupation would have been disasterous for Europe.

    You know it.

    I know it.

    American involvement saved Europe from it.

    The end.

    Hey, wadda ya know? I didn't even need to use pretty pictures to prove my point.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Oh please god. Not the US saved the world line ...

    US came in late in the game.
    It was Britain and its commonwealth which intiated the operation on D Day in France and not to mention it was Russia who arguably played the most important role. If it wasn't for the Russians, we'd be speaking German.
    All Allied countries contributed honorably to WWII. That having been said, the only reason you didn't have to fight the Germans AND the Japanese is because America was taking them (the Japanese) on almost single-handedly.

    People seem to forget that America was fighting two super-powers simultaneously.

  6. #216
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    Germany declared war on us right after Japan did. We had not declared war at all yet, so of course we were second.
    Okay.
    Correlation does not prove causation. Simply because Germany declared first, that does not mean that Germany's declaration was the reason we declared war.
    True.
    Those may be facts,
    They are the facts.
    but you have convienantly left out those facts that do not support your argument.
    No, not at all.
    We commited to help the allies in Europe first, in exchange for them helping us with Japan later.
    Please provide a citation for this.
    Russia was an ally of Hitler before he betrayed them after conquering most of Europe. Hitler didn't declare war on Russia until after the Battle of Britain. Russia can hardly be counted as the savior of Europe considering they occupied a large portion of it for years afterwards.
    Nobody declared them the savior of Europe. But they were absolutely responsible for creating the setting for which D-Day had occured. If Russia had not dealt the Germans such horrible defeats and put them on the run on the eastern front there would have been much more armor, air power, and infantry in western Europe. This is an undeniable truth.
    Stop trying to discredit the valiant sacrifices of hundreds of thousands of American servicemen by claiming we did not save Europe.
    Stop being so melodramatic. It just makes you look silly. We didn't save Europe from the Germans, we actually saved western Europe from the Russians. That was my point. Go back and read. Had we not launched D-Day the French would be speaking Russian because the Red Army would have defeated Germany. The Rhineland was running out of military aged men to put in uniform and had made a major series of strategic and tactical errors.

    Stalin would have occupied all of Germany's conquests had he been the sole victor.
    So you agree, Russia did not actually need our troops to defeat Germany.
    It does not matter that saving Europe was not the only motivation of the American Army.
    Okay?
    We still did save the world. Any real historian would grant that point and move on.
    No, any "real historian" would not grant that point because it's not that simple nor is it realistic.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 06-27-09 at 01:42 AM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  7. #217
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    That having been said, the only reason you didn't have to fight the Germans AND the Japanese is because America was taking them (the Japanese) on almost single-handedly.
    Not at all. China was tying down a major portion of Japan's military resources.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 06-27-09 at 01:44 AM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #218
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    To you maybe.

    Red Army occupation would have been disasterous for Europe.

    You know it.

    I know it.

    American involvement saved Europe from it.

    The end.

    Hey, wadda ya know? I didn't even need to use pretty pictures to prove my point.
    Do you even know what the discussion was? It was about Truth Detectors claim that we were responsible for rescuing Europe from Germany in World War II and that Russia was somehow not that big of a factor. That's absurd. At THAT TIME Russia was our ally against the Axis, we were not invading to save western Europe from Russia...but that's what we did in all actuality. I've already made the case at least twice if not more. Get it? Or do you just like being argumentative? If you are going to attack me over a point I'm making, how about you actually address a point I've actually made and not one you are fit to manufacture.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 06-27-09 at 01:38 AM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  9. #219
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Who cares?

    Haven't you guys heard?

    Michael Jackson died!

    Iran is like, soooo last week.




    5.0

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today (Baharestan Square Massacre)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Not at all. China was tying down a major portion of Japan's military resources.
    When I say "taking them on" I mean actually defeating and advancing against them -- the Chinese got their butts whipped.

    The US, on the other hand, achieved victory over an entrenched and fanatical fighting force that fought to their last drop of blood; they don't call Marines "devil dogs" for no reason...

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •