Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

  1. #21
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    My Way News - Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Assuming that this goes thru, and that medical benefits are inputed as income and taxed accordingly -- does this qualify as a break in the promise to not raise the taxes of anyone making $250k or less?
    If he does this he is breaking his campaigne promise and is a hypocrite for criticizing McCain for the same plan!

  2. #22
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Well, sort of. It isn't a hike in the income tax RATE persay, so Obama can claim that their tax rates didn't go up. Especially if Congress lowers the actual RATE for people earning less than $250K.
    No.... but it is an increase in their income taxes because it adds to what counts as income.

  3. #23
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 05:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    351

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Unions? Health Benefits May Avoid Tax Under Senate Proposal - Bloomberg.com
    The U.S. Senate proposal to impose taxes for the first time on “gold-plated” health plans may bypass generous employee benefits negotiated by unions.

    Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, the chief congressional advocate of taxing some employer-provided benefits to help pay for a $1 trillion overhaul of the U.S. health system, says any change should exempt perks secured in existing collective-bargaining agreements, which can be in place for as long as five years.

    The exception, which could make the proposal more politically palatable to Democrats from heavily unionized states such as Michigan, is adding controversy to an already contentious debate. It would shield the 12.4 percent of American workers who belong to unions from being taxed while exposing some other middle-income workers to the levy.

    “I can’t think of any other aspect of the individual income tax that treats benefits of different people differently because of who they work for,” said Chris Edwards, director of tax policy studies at the Cato Institute, a Washington research group that often criticizes Democrats’ economic proposals. Edwards said the carve-out “smacks of political favoritism.”
    Damn Dirty Dems!

  4. #24
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    All this tax will accomplish is the lightening of the Middle Classes pockets.

  5. #25
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    ****ing brilliant. Tax the people who actually have private healthcare and aren't costing the system money. So the people WITH insurance now have to pay even more money. Who's the brainiac that thought up that wonderful idea?

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    As it relates to Government Managed Health care, what all voters need to ask of Obama and all the politicians in Washington is; will you be under the same plan as the rest of us.

    You might be surprised by the answer to this question.

    If they exempt themselves from the identical program they wish to foist on the rest of us, the answer is an OBVIOUS no thank you.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    Yes, let's eliminate all taxes because parks are bad for us, scholarships are bad for us, and Medicare/Medicaid are bad for us.

    Funny story, the other day one guy told me he hated Democrats because by the time he grew up, there wouldn't be any Social Security.
    Yes that's the argument; we want to eliminate all taxes.

    Of course such absurd nonsense is always spewed when Liberals are confronted with the REALITY that the debate is not just about taxes, but about limiting choice, expanding the role of Government in our lives and the FACT that politicians can never get enough of our tax dollars and are incapable of balancing a budget.

    This isn't about taxes, this is about the confiscation of citizen’s hard earned wealth so that politicians can pander to ignorant uninformed voters and make them wards of the "State."

  8. #28
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke[MaxX] View Post
    When you complain to Democrats that they're destroying Social Security, a program that they implemented in the first place- yeah I find that pretty funny.

    Also, you know what- I come from a pretty wealthy family (few pharmacists and my father's a doctor) and I also aspire to be a doctor some day. To say that we're well off financially isn't exactly an understatement. I have no problem taxing the wealthy more than taxing the poor. I'm not saying tax the wealthy until they're poor or even middle class. Think about this though, taxing one millionaire one percent is $10,000. That's only one percent, a relative drop in the bucket to a millionaire. However, to somebody who only makes 40k a year, that's 3 months pay.
    So what? Why should he be taxes differently then the poor guy? They are both citizens of the same country.

  9. #29
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    So what? Why should he be taxes differently then the poor guy? They are both citizens of the same country.
    Because he has extra money that hurts the economy because it's not being spent? Why should one guy have extra benefits because he grew up in a wealthy family? Why should one person have a better education because he lives in a different part of the country? Why shouldn't everybody have universal healthcare? We're all citizens of the same country.

  10. #30
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: Obama not closing door on possible health care tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Yes that's the argument; we want to eliminate all taxes.

    Of course such absurd nonsense is always spewed when Liberals are confronted with the REALITY that the debate is not just about taxes, but about limiting choice, expanding the role of Government in our lives and the FACT that politicians can never get enough of our tax dollars and are incapable of balancing a budget.

    This isn't about taxes, this is about the confiscation of citizen’s hard earned wealth so that politicians can pander to ignorant uninformed voters and make them wards of the "State."
    Yeah, that's the argument; politicians are only pandering to ignorant uninformed voters while making them wards of the "State" so that they can "confiscate" their hard earned wealth.

    Of course such absurd nonsense is always spewed when Conservatives are confronted with the REALITY of a debate, but the FACT is that strawman arguments are pretty weak.

    Perhaps my hyperbole was a bit exaggerated, but it's obvious that Republicans want to cut taxes as far as they can. It's equally obvious that government spending actually helps the technology and academia sectors. It's pretty hard to lead the world in technology and academia if the government doesn't support them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •