Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    You seem only interested in demonizing Liberals rather than looking at the quite similar problems that Conservatives have. Both sides are full of ****.
    Granted, but Conservatves better represent my overall beliefs than Liberals.

    You need to go back and read the linked article. Nowhere does it claim he was fired for "picking on Obama".
    No, not this article, but when this story broke a couple weeks ago, the article I read stated that the principle of the school was miffed because Lantham was, "Picking on Obama".

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    And I will ask you the same thing: you have some evidence that conservative teachers are being blacklisted?
    This guy got fired. Wouldn't you that it all starts with one? Or is one not too many?

    Just curious, if you agree why did you say "Liberals" instead of "teachers"?
    Because it's my opinion that Liberals bring their politics into the classroom more often than Conservatives.

  3. #33
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    What exactly did he have on his webpage that was deleted? I saw the "What I Think" section, which was blank. Was that where he discussed his political ideology? Frankly, I find that portion of the website inappropriate if that were the case, but we have all experienced similar growing up, and hardly worth the fuss. If the people in question had a problem with hyperlinks to the branches of the US military, then, well, that's incredibly silly for them to be upset at a teacher of American History and American Government.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #34
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Granted, but Conservatves better represent my overall beliefs than Liberals.
    So? Does that mean that you can't be fair and even-handed?

    No, not this article, but when this story broke a couple weeks ago, the article I read stated that the principle of the school was miffed because Lantham was, "Picking on Obama".
    The article also only gave the point of view of the teacher who was fired. We still don't have sufficient proof that the guy was fired for his beliefs. I think that a lot of public outcry made the school cave and re-hire the guy. Like I said, good for him. Public outcry is obviously a very powerful tool. If he was, in fact, correct that he was fired for the reasons he stated he shouldn't have been fired in the first place. His political views have no bearing on that.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This guy got fired. Wouldn't you that it all starts with one? Or is one not too many?
    One is of course too many. One does not make some conspiracy though. One is an aberration, not a norm.

    Because it's my opinion that Liberals bring their politics into the classroom more often than Conservatives.
    Ah, and my opinion is that you are wrong.

  6. #36
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because it's my opinion that Liberals bring their politics into the classroom more often than Conservatives.
    But, if the primary issue is it being done at all, who does it "more" is irrelevant.

    Although this is anecdotal, my own experience in school was that the only really politically vocal teacher I had was a staunch conservative. He also happened to be my government teacher.

    He also happens to be the same teacher that Hillary Clinton credits for sparking her interest in politics back when she was a freshman in high school (back when she was a Goldwater girl) when he gave her Conscience of a Conservative.

    That teacher's name was Paul Carlson. He recently passed away, but he was the only teacher who ever tried to debate/discuss politics with me. Personally, he was one of my favorite teachers. We would debate for hours outside of class on numerous issues.

    I think about him not being able to do what he did when he taught and it makes me question the idea of preventing teachers form sharing their ideology. He was a great teacher in no small part because he wasn't afraid to share his views.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    But, if the primary issue is it being done at all, who does it "more" is irrelevant.

    Although this is anecdotal, my own experience in school was that the only really politically vocal teacher I had was a staunch conservative. He also happened to be my government teacher.

    He also happens to be the same teacher that Hillary Clinton credits for sparking her interest in politics back when she was a freshman in high school (back when she was a Goldwater girl) when he gave her Conscience of a Conservative.

    That teacher's name was Paul Carlson. He recently passed away, but he was the only teacher who ever tried to debate/discuss politics with me. Personally, he was one of my favorite teachers. We would debate for hours outside of class on numerous issues.

    I think about him not being able to do what he did when he taught and it makes me question the idea of preventing teachers form sharing their ideology. He was a great teacher in no small part because he wasn't afraid to share his views.
    I mentioned this in the other thread on this guy, and it is basically the same story as yours. A government teacher, deeply conservative, who argued his conservative views in class, but also encouraged and helped people to disagree with him.

  8. #38
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    Ah, and my opinion is that you are wrong.
    I'm proud that you think so. That's what makes this greatest nation in the history of the world.

  9. #39
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its nice to see that sometimes a little media attention can do some good.


    Kansas Teacher With Conservative Views Gets Job Back - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
    A high school teacher in Kansas who claimed his contract was not renewed due to his conservative political views has been reinstated.

    Tim Latham, 44, who was told that his school-affiliated Web site was "too patriotic," will return this fall to the 2,000-student Lawrence High School in Lawrence, Kan., where he'll continue teaching American history and government for a second consecutive year. Since the contract renewal became official late last week, Latham, a teaching veteran of 20 years, said he's received countless well-wishes from students and teachers alike.

    "My cell phone just went off again," Latham told FOXNews.com on Tuesday. "I have received well over 1,000 e-mails, comments on my Facebook page, personal letters and phone calls, not only from all over the country, but from all over the world. I even had a guy who wrote me from China, saying he could see this happening in China, but not here."

    Latham, who was criticized by a student for not airing President Obama's inaugural address during class, filed a grievance with his school district earlier this month after he was told in April that his contract would not be renewed.

    The married father of three had claimed school officials violated his contract by not conducting proper reviews — four 20-minute in-class evaluations throughout the year — and said school administrators were looking for a way to get rid of him due to his personal politics.

    But Latham was informed last Thursday by District Superintendent Randy Weseman that there were "inconsistencies in the evaluation process" and that his contract would be renewed for 2009-10. Latham said he was not surprised.
    Now, I will concede that there is proof that the school fired him for his views. Thanks for the post. Glad to hear that justice prevailed.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •