Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 131

Thread: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

  1. #121
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Neda isn't special any more than the other victims of the government-perpetrated and government-sponsored violence currently taking place. She's a pretty, photogenic face, but that's about all she's got on her fellow victims.
    She also has the benefit of a better cameraman.

    She's the Internet martyr of the Iranian protests, 2009, for the simple reason that it's hard to watch someone die for real.

    Her death is no more tragic, no more dramatic, than any of the other dissident deaths in Iran. We remark on it more simply because we can see it. Her dying on camera is what makes her death a tragedy and not just a statistic.

  2. #122
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't see Iranians pushing back any harder simply because of the death of this one woman. All of them have been touched by death or known someone else who has, they didn't need another martyr.

    If anything, her death is being used as a rallying cry elsehwere in the world, and that is something that the people of Iran most assuredly do not need.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't see Iranians pushing back any harder simply because of the death of this one woman. All of them have been touched by death or known someone else who has, they didn't need another martyr.
    They don't. Every mother whose lost a son, every father whose lost a daughter, has all the martyrs they need.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If anything, her death is being used as a rallying cry elsehwere in the world, and that is something that the people of Iran most assuredly do not need.
    Not so.

    The Iranians definitely need that rallying cry. That rallying cry is what diminishes Khamenei in the eyes of the world. That rallying cry is what indicts the Islamic Republic in the eyes of the world. That rallying cry is what accuses Khamenei and not Mousavi's supporters of mohareb.

    No nation exists in a vacuum. Iran needs the wider world. Iran needs the industry of the wider world. Iran needs the oil markets of the wider world. Iran craves the attention of the wider world. Iran desires the comity of the wider world.

    Because of Neda, Iran will find that comity much harder to obtain.

    Because of Neda, Khamenei is seen by most of the world as just another dictator.

    Because of Neda, Khamenei is a cleric no longer.

  4. #124
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Okay, CL, I see your point. My concern is that the fervor that the images of her death are generating will be used to justify a military action, and that's what I was thinking of when talking about what the Iranian people don't need.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Okay, CL, I see your point. My concern is that the fervor that the images of her death are generating will be used to justify a military action, and that's what I was thinking of when talking about what the Iranian people don't need.
    It's going to take more than one pretty girl dying on YouTube to justify military action.

    There is still a full quiver of diplomatic arrows that have to be expended before we send in the Marines.

  6. #126
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    It's going to take more than one pretty girl dying on YouTube to justify military action.

    There is still a full quiver of diplomatic arrows that have to be expended before we send in the Marines.
    There is still a full quiver of diplomatic arrows that should be expended before we send in the Marines, but if people continue to let their emotions get the best of them -- like the numerous posts on this forum asserting that we should go in there and saaaaaaaaaaaaaave the people -- at some point the hawks and hotheads are going to get what they want, and then we're really in trouble.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #127
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Okay, CL, I see your point. My concern is that the fervor that the images of her death are generating will be used to justify a military action, and that's what I was thinking of when talking about what the Iranian people don't need.
    I do not believe that the murder of Neda will propel the West into any invasion. The Arab and/or Muslim states around Iran will not use her martydom as any excuse for an invasion. Russia could care less about human rights so they would not be propelled by any concern for a human being. Israel is not capable of conducting an invasion of Iran and they also could care less about the life of any Iranians much less the life of one Iranian girl.

    Making the murderous thugs aware that the world is watching is and keeping the prreasute with demonstartions and urging the decent governments of the world to keep telling the the Thugs of Tehran that they should not be get too carried away is about all that will happen.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  8. #128
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    I'm willing to posit that it'll take more then Neda's death alone to start a military action, but the fact is that we've used outrage as our excuse many times in the past to justify such action.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #129
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'm willing to posit that it'll take more then Neda's death alone to start a military action, but the fact is that we've used outrage as our excuse many times in the past to justify such action.
    Well I will grant you that there was at least one ly whacky case that I can think of off hand is "The War of Jenkins' Ear " between Great Britain and Spain. Robert Jenkins, captain of a British merchant ship, exhibited his severed ear in Parliament after that ear was cut off by Spanish coast guards in 1731.

    Yet Britain and Spain was heading towards war and that was an excuse albiet not he only excuse but an excuse.

    And before some libber get her panties in a bunch I am not saying that the Neda case is "wacky" becasue if I did I would not have posted it the way that I did.
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 06-28-09 at 04:52 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  10. #130
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Her name was Neda - in death she is rallying cry for Iranian protests

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'm willing to posit that it'll take more then Neda's death alone to start a military action, but the fact is that we've used outrage as our excuse many times in the past to justify such action.
    As excuse, yes.

    The destruction of the USS Maine was the excuse for war with Spain in 1898. However, that excuse was merely the final impetus for a desire for war that had been brewing for some time. It rationalized what America already desired.

    America does not desire war with Iran. Even within President Bush's doctrines of preemption, America did not desire war with Iran.

    Neda's martyrdom is cause for outrage, but such outrage, absent the pre-existing desire for war, will not lead to war.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •