Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

  1. #21
    User johnjoel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    144

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Congress is in session now. They are getting paid the same thing whether they pass no resolutions or 5,000 of them. They do not get paid per resolution, so your comment literally makes no sense. .
    I am fully aware of this. However it doesn't take wasting tax payer dollars and time to say something. You just say it. What doesn't make sense is adding bureaucracy to a comment. If that makes sense, then there is no sense.

    I suppose Paul was twiddling his thumbs in wait of a real issue.

    America stands by the citizens of Iran, for justice, for peace.

    There you can have that one for free. Sign it -THE USA.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.

  2. #22
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    There are no funds attached to this measure, and it keeps them busy. I say it's a good thing. Anything that keeps them from passing new laws, particularly with funds attached, is a positive.

    That's why I generally like resolutions. They are mostly harmless, they are not laws, and they cost us nothing. What's the downside? Unless, of course, they are calling a special session and rushing to DC to vote, thereby racking up travel expenses, I fail to see the issue.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  3. #23
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Not sure what you mean. They are on salary. They get paid $137,000 or whatever per year. They are now in session. This cost the taxpayers the same as if they all sat there doing nothing. Big ****ing deal. Well, they did use a piece of paper to jot it all down. If that is your big outrage I think your focus is a bit off.
    time is money is the point.

    The only reason this isn't the same is I find congressional activity to be damaging in general, so I don't really want them to get to other things, but the reality is by taking up this, they are tabling something else they are actually paid to do.

    If I were to hire you and found you were spending time conducting a fantasy football draft, would you say, big deal, it's not costing you any money? Salary is salary, right?

  4. #24
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoel View Post
    I am fully aware of this. However it doesn't take wasting tax payer dollars and time to say something. You just say it. What doesn't make sense is adding bureaucracy to a comment. If that makes sense, then there is no sense.
    What tax payer money was used here other than the money that is used paying them a salary they get no matter what? If you want to gripe about that I'm onboard. But this resolution cost the taxpayer $0 additional dollars. Which you should like. How often does Congress cost us nothing?
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  5. #25
    User johnjoel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    144

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    They pass resolutions every day. This is better than most.
    That is a matter of opinion. They could have said nothing and it would have the same impact.

    "...embrace the values of freedom, human rights, civil liberties and the rule of law."

    Well duh...were Americans. The only people we really need to remind of these values... is us.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.

  6. #26
    User johnjoel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    144

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    What tax payer money was used here other than the money that is used paying them a salary they get no matter what? If you want to gripe about that I'm onboard. But this resolution cost the taxpayer $0 additional dollars. Which you should like. How often does Congress cost us nothing?
    Well its sorta my gripe. They get paid to waste time on BS like this when there are more pressing matters to attend to. They can suffix their real work with a comment about Iran.

    When they waste time, they waste the money we invest in them.

    But hey, at least we know how they feel and it only cost a days worth of salary.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.

  7. #27
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    time is money is the point.

    The only reason this isn't the same is I find congressional activity to be damaging in general, so I don't really want them to get to other things, but the reality is by taking up this, they are tabling something else they are actually paid to do.

    If I were to hire you and found you were spending time conducting a fantasy football draft, would you say, big deal, it's not costing you any money? Salary is salary, right?
    Depends on whether my work got done. If my report is finished and on time I can't see why you would care what I did. But I'll tell you what. If you can tell me an important bill that needs to get passed that will now not get passed because they took a few minutes to pass this resolution I'm all ears. Otherwise, you really got nothing here. Faux outrage over nothing. Which is odd because with Congress there's a ****load of actual outrage.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  8. #28
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoel View Post
    Well its sorta my gripe. They get paid to waste time on BS like this when there are more pressing matters to attend to. They can suffix their real work with a comment about Iran.

    When they waste time, they waste the money we invest in them.

    But hey, at least we know how they feel and it only cost a days worth of salary.
    You know, there is plenty of time for them to get to pressing and non-pressing matters. And as far as them wasting time, the best I can tell that's ALL they do. But in this case it didn't cost me anything. Now I'm beginning to like resolutions a lot.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  9. #29
    User johnjoel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    144

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    There are no funds attached to this measure, and it keeps them busy. I say it's a good thing. Anything that keeps them from passing new laws, particularly with funds attached, is a positive.
    Well alright. I concede the entire point I've made. I'm sorry.

    I had no idea that its just best to keep them busy, especially since there is nothing really pressing going on at this current time.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.

  10. #30
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: U.S. House votes overwhelmingly for Iranian resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Depends on whether my work got done. If my report is finished and on time I can't see why you would care what I did. But I'll tell you what. If you can tell me an important bill that needs to get passed that will now not get passed because they took a few minutes to pass this resolution I'm all ears. Otherwise, you really got nothing here. Faux outrage over nothing. Which is odd because with Congress there's a ****load of actual outrage.
    you work for congress, nothing is on time.

    You have still not explained what the point of such a resolution is if not to intervene though

    As for more important matters, hr 1207

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •