Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 66

Thread: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

  1. #31
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Oh please, fundemental rights

    Clearly we will never agree on EU.
    We need them economic wise, but they should never have a say on Governmental issues.


  2. #32
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Congratulations!! You guys voted for all that ****. No guns, no juries and a socialist state.
    Lmao.
    Look ahead to a few decades and it might just happen to you ...

    Oh and i would hardly call Labour socialist.
    They are almost light blue.


  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Oh please, fundamental rights

    Clearly we will never agree on EU.
    We need them economic wise, but they should never have a say on Governmental issues.
    Why did you start this thread, you seemed worried that the law lords were removing these fine gentleman's fundamental rights to trial by jury, and then the Government extending its use.

    You cant have it both ways and not appear to be a hypocrite

  4. #34
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Congratulations!! You guys voted for all that ****. No guns, no juries and a socialist state.
    Great to live in Europe indeed

  5. #35
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    Why did you start this thread, you seemed worried that the law lords were removing these fine gentleman's fundamental rights to trial by jury, and then the Government extending its use.

    You cant have it both ways and not appear to be a hypocrite
    A Government should have emergency powers in times of need, what is needed is the ability to keep that Governments use of power in check but i'd much rather it be our legislative/committees who have this ability who are elected and chosen by us the people rather than a hand from Brussels making judgements from afar but for that to happen reform would be needed of the political system which we might be getting if Brown has anything to do with it.


  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    BBC NEWS | UK | First trial without jury approved





    Dangerous, knowing our Govt. this will become common.
    I don't like this at all, what the heck is going on with our system.
    Does anyone even know who our law lords are and we are supposed to trust them
    Um did the man request a trial by judge alone? In the U.S. that is ones legal right. Some people feel that they have a better case if they are tried by someone who actually knows the law.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    A Government should have emergency powers in times of need, what is needed is the ability to keep that Governments use of power in check but i'd much rather it be our legislative/committees who have this ability who are elected and chosen by us the people rather than a hand from Brussels making judgements from afar but for that to happen reform would be needed of the political system which we might be getting if Brown has anything to do with it.
    Emergency powers would need a vote,the European Court of Human Rights was established in 1952, it will hear cases from individuals or states, it is a fine safety net.

    Again I ask what was your reason for starting this thread?

    What is your opinion of the European Court of Justice?

  8. #38
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,729

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    In the U.S. trials by jury are usually reserved for Felony (more serious) charges, in what we call "Superior" courts.

    Misdemeanor charges are handled in District courts by a single presiding judge. Misdemeanor verdicts can be appealed to a superior court judge for judicial review or for an opportunity to have a jury hear the case, but this usually doesn't happen that often.
    In Texas, you can have a jury to fight even a traffic ticket. I have sat on some of those juries too. In municipal court, the jury consists of 6 jurors, not 12.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #39
    User legojenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ottawa Valley
    Last Seen
    05-26-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    39

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Well ... we'll edit the US Constitution before implementing it then. I don't think the public would accept legalizing guns.

    Besides i love the Queen and so do many others. Charles ... not so much.
    I would then suggest the Canadian Constitution. A majority of the legislation is British anyhow. It has the Queen, no provisions for guns (so restricting them can be done with ordinary legislation) and more advanced rights regime in the Charter...just sayin'.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: A trial .... without a Jury? First time in UK history.

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post

    Again I ask what was your reason for starting this thread?

    What is your opinion of the European Court of Justice?
    Erm, i know you've been here for a while so i am sure you of all people are aware that this is the NEWS sections. Yes dear, news. That is where we report things that have happened in the world.
    Now what we do is find a article we think people should know or might like to comment on and then post it .... shockingly enough, i believed that seeing this is the first time it will be occuring in history it was worth a mention ....

    I don't mind it generally.
    Last edited by Laila; 06-19-09 at 12:11 PM.


Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •