Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 178

Thread: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

  1. #51
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Gosh. And here I thought that most people handled that pretty well on their own.

    I'll have to call my ex-husband and let him know that the REAL reason our marriage failed was "teh gayz."
    And for some reason I'm still married despite the fags. Weird. I guess what other people do really does not affect my marriage. I think someone tried to tell me that once, but I couldn't hear them with all those Bible's thumping in the background.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Gosh. And here I thought that most people handled that pretty well on their own.

    I'll have to call my ex-husband and let him know that the REAL reason our marriage failed was "teh gayz."
    No no no the reason you got divorced is because of my cohabitation with my girlfriend.

  3. #53
    User Badgered Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    06-30-09 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I AGREE.

    It's bull**** that he's pushing this when the rights are not equivalent and he's done nothing for military service personnel to overturn don't ask, don't tell, in spite of HIS CAMPAIGN PROMISES.

    Apparently, gays/lesbians are the ones on the plantation now, and Pres Obama can dole out special "house nigga" privileges without giving them any real EQUALITY.
    I believe he's playing political games and using his "political capital" to push through healthcare reform first, and then tackle civil rights issues.

    That's my hope, anyway. I doubt he'd just turn his back on the gay community and lose a lot of support for 2012 on purpose.
    "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
    - Thomas Jefferson

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    "President Barack Obama, whose gay and lesbian supporters have grown frustrated with his slow movement on their priorities, is extending benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees but stopping short of a guarantee of full health insurance, a White House official said."

    AP source: Benefits for govt workers' gay partners - Yahoo! News

    I have also heard that the plan does not include pension benefits. It does come with group hugs though.

    Side note: I wonder if there is any legislation that allows for Obama to do this. I am sure the legislation passed by Congress specified benefits for people legally married, and that excludes all gays because of the Defense of Marriage Act.

    I think Obama knows this will never actually happen, the benefits will not be valid because gays are not legally married under federal law, or the courts will strike it down because it needs to go through the legislative process.

    I am not falling for it until I see some real results. Obama may be a brilliant person when it come to political maneuvering, but that does not mean anything actually happens.
    By the way, this ruling ONLY affects Federal Employees.

  5. #55
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    02-13-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    The White House claims the order is being done within the laws already created.

    "The Memorandum follows a review by the Director of the Office of Personnel Management ant the Secretary of State regarding what benefits may be extended to the same-sex partners of federal employees in the civil service and the foreign service within the confines of existing federal laws and statutes."

    We will have to wait until later today to possibly see what law the President is using to extend benefits to domestic partners, when he formally signs the order. If the order is promulgated based on an existing law, it is well within the President's authority.

    The White House - Press Office - Fact Sheet Presidential Memorandum on Federal Benefits and Non Discrimination
    Last edited by Alex; 06-17-09 at 02:33 PM.
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  6. #56
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Badgered Mushroom View Post
    I believe he's playing political games and using his "political capital" to push through healthcare reform first, and then tackle civil rights issues.

    That's my hope, anyway. I doubt he'd just turn his back on the gay community and lose a lot of support for 2012 on purpose.
    That will not happen. You think they are going to vote GOP? I think not. It's like the religious right and the GOP. The GOP can play them for fools election after election because they are not going to vote Democrat. If there are two groups Obama can back burner with no ill effects it's the blacks and the gays.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Oh I'm just wondering what meteric you use to define a stable relationship. 40% of cohabitors break up yet there is a 50% divorce rate. Seems like cohabitation is the way to go.
    You say that like the 50% divorce rate is composed of first-marriages under the same situations.

    In fact, the 50% divorce rate is caused by things which 'the right' speaks against in other venues, such as marrying someone with small children, marrying without financial security, and pre-marital cohabitation lowering the commitment of the couple.

    Even assuming gays could "marry" today, no different in any respect than heteros can, an unmarried couple should not be receiving any benefits simply for being a 'couple' because that promotes unstable unions.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    How will the government be able to judge what a "domestic partnership" is? How will it prevent people from taking advantage of the system?

  9. #59
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Gosh. And here I thought that most people handled that pretty well on their own.

    I'll have to call my ex-husband and let him know that the REAL reason our marriage failed was "teh gayz."
    Oh, it's the gays doing it? Darn, I was hoping it was just me for supporting the gays...

  10. #60
    User Badgered Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    06-30-09 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15

    re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    That will not happen. You think they are going to vote GOP? I think not. It's like the religious right and the GOP. The GOP can play them for fools election after election because they are not going to vote Democrat. If there are two groups Obama can back burner with no ill effects it's the blacks and the gays.
    I never mentioned who they would vote for. We do have more than two parties, you know? He could even do so poorly that in four years he doesn't seek re-election, but I suppose in that case what a small part of the Democratic base does doesn't really matter.
    "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •