Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 178

Thread: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

  1. #131
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    That data is irrelevant. It is an arbitrary requirement that YOU attach to the issue which the law doesn't. There is no requirement nor even interest that child rearing comes along with marriage certificates.
    An estimated 65,500 adopted children are living with a lesbian or gay parent.
    An estimated 14,100 foster children are living with lesbian or gay parents.
    Gay and lesbian parents are raising four percent of all adopted children in the United States.
    More than one in three lesbians have given birth and one in six gay men have fathered or adopted a child.
    And the big ones:

    More than half of gay men and 41 percent of lesbians want to have a child.
    An estimated two million GLB people are interested in adopting.
    Source cited earlier, report is from 2007.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Troxil, Skinner, Loving....
    None of those demand child rearing as a requisite to marriage.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And the big ones:





    Source cited earlier, report is from 2007.
    Those are good statistics. However, it is still irrelevant to the issue of marriage as child rearing is not a requisite for a marriage license.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Those are good statistics. However, it is still irrelevant to the issue of marriage as child rearing is not a requisite for a marriage license.
    I even said it wasn't a stated requisite on the document, wtf are you talking about?

    I said the raising of children is what established the state's compelling interest to infringe on your right to privacy, in your marriage, and lay down some rules.

    If you have no children, the state has no compelling interest, and you're free to go have a ceremony and live together in perfect privacy.

    If you don't have children, then I don't understand why you would want the state to infringe on your right to privacy when it clearly therefore has no compelling interest to do so.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-17-09 at 05:00 PM.

  5. #135
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I even said it wasn't a stated requisite on the document, wtf are you talking about?

    I said the raising of children is what established the state's compelling interest to infringe on your right to privacy, in your marriage, and lay down some rules.

    If you have no children, the state has no compelling interest, and you're free to go have a ceremony and live together in perfect privacy.

    If you don't have children, then I don't understand why you would want the state to infringe on your right to privacy when it clearly therefore has no compelling interest to do so.
    So, since one in three lesbians have children, doesn't the state have a compelling interest in seeing them married?

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So, since one in three lesbians have children, doesn't the state have a compelling interest in seeing them married?
    The state has an interest in the marriage of those lesbians who are raising children.

    The state has no interest in the marriage of those lesbians who are not.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I even said it wasn't a stated requisite on the document, wtf are you talking about?

    I said the raising of children is what established the state's compelling interest to infringe on your right to privacy, in your marriage, and lay down some rules.

    If you have no children, the state has no compelling interest, and you're free to go have a ceremony and live together in perfect privacy.

    If you don't have children, then I don't understand why you would want the state to infringe on your right to privacy when it clearly therefore has no compelling interest to do so.
    What infringement on right to privacy? The marriage certificate comes with a list of benefits, not a wire tap.

  8. #138
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The state has an interest in the marriage of those lesbians who are raising children.

    The state has no interest in the marriage of those lesbians who are not.
    How about the approximately 2 million gay people who want to adapt?

  9. #139
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    What infringement on right to privacy? The marriage certificate comes with a list of benefits, not a wire tap.


    But it does sometimes feel like one is being waterboarded!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Extends Fed Benefits to Unmarried Partners, Including Same Sex Partners

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The state has an interest in the marriage of those lesbians who are raising children.

    The state has no interest in the marriage of those lesbians who are not.
    Actually, it has no interest in either marriage. It has an interest in the welfare of the children, but the marriage is secondary to that. If the marriage were what the state was interested in, then the state would require marriage to raise children. It doesn't. Your argument falls short because it is arbitrary.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •