Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 130

Thread: John Ensign Affair: GOP Senator admits relationship with ex-campaign staffer

  1. #51
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Ensign acknowledges extramarital affair

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Being separated from one's spouse is not a termination of the marriage.
    Legally it isn't...but I don't see why that should matter, since adultery isn't illegal in the first place. And I don't even see why it's immoral, since he and his wife were separated. Surely no one would suggest that his estranged wife was somehow victimized here. I don't even like how the press refers to this as an "affair." It was a relationship.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-18-09 at 01:29 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #52
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Ensign acknowledges extramarital affair

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Being separated from one's spouse is not a termination of the marriage.
    No, but it is a termination of the possibility of adultery being a grounds for any divorce.

    Perverse irony when the lunatic left is indulging in the same holier-than-thou spew they fatuously ascribe to those with whom they disagree.

  3. #53
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-30-09 @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    446

    Re: Ensign acknowledges extramarital affair

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Legally it isn't...but I don't see why that should matter, since adultery isn't illegal in the first place. And I don't even see why it's immoral, since he and his wife were separated. Surely no one would suggest that his estranged wife was somehow victimized here. I don't even like how the press refers to this as an "affair." It was a relationship.
    If you're married, how do you "preserve the sanctity of marriage" by sleeping with somebody else? What do they say at weddings? "Promise to be with whoever... blah blah blah... till death do us part"?

    The guy not only disregarded his marriage, he disregarded the marriage of another couple. That's two different marriages that one person **** all over.

    I personally don't care about his personal decisions, but if he's going to represent a party that wishes to "preserve the sanctity of marriage" then he needs to hold up his end of the bargain. Two gay guys getting married and minding their own business is somehow much more of a problem than a married guy who sleeps with another woman who is also married?

  4. #54
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Ensign acknowledges extramarital affair

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Legally it isn't...but I don't see why that should matter, since adultery isn't illegal in the first place. And I don't even see why it's immoral, since he and his wife were separated. Surely no one would suggest that his estranged wife was somehow victimized here. I don't even like how the press refers to this as an "affair." It was a relationship.
    Well, Kandahar, I have no respect for someone who has an affair with a married person. So even if I thought, "Well, he and his wife were separated," I would be reminded that the woman with whom he screwed around with was married herself. He is an asshole.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Ensign acknowledges extramarital affair

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Well, Kandahar, I have no respect for someone who has an affair with a married person. So even if I thought, "Well, he and his wife were separated," I would be reminded that the woman with whom he screwed around with was married herself. He is an asshole.
    Jesus christ, get over yourself.

    I have more respect for an adulterer than I do a drunk, or, in Obama's case, a coke head or a pot head, admittedly so in his case.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #56
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Ensign acknowledges extramarital affair

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Jesus christ, get over yourself.

    I have more respect for an adulterer than I do a drunk, or, in Obama's case, a coke head or a pot head, admittedly so in his case.
    Can you help me get over myself? I'd really appreciate it.

  7. #57
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: John Ensign Affair: GOP Senator admits relationship with ex-campaign staffer

    So it looks like Ensign was having an affair with this woman BEFORE he was separated from his wife--from December 2007 through March 2008.

    According to an official timeline Ensign's staff provided Tuesday, his affair began in December 2007 and continued until last August. John and Darlene Ensign were separated from April to July last year, according to his office.

    Ensign's Former Treasurer Acknowledges Affair With Senator

  8. #58
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: John Ensign Affair: GOP Senator admits relationship with ex-campaign staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    So it looks like Ensign was having an affair with this woman BEFORE he was separated from his wife--from December 2007 through March 2008.
    Still don't see what the big deal is.

    He committed adultery, which is not a crime.

    Possession of Cocaine is a felony
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #59
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: John Ensign Affair: GOP Senator admits relationship with ex-campaign staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Still don't see what the big deal is.

    He committed adultery, which is not a crime.

    Possession of Cocaine is a felony
    Caine, I agree with you. My disgust towards the situation is about Ensign lecturing others about morality, when his own morality is bogus. Come on. This is a guy who said Clinton and Craig should resign because of their immoral behavior. And look at him. That's why I am pissed off. If this was someone who wasn't out there lecturing others publicly on their own morality, I wouldn't care about this situation.

  10. #60
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: John Ensign Affair: GOP Senator admits relationship with ex-campaign staffer

    Sounds to me like he decided not to pay extortion to the staffer he had sex with.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •