Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 216

Thread: Letterman- Apology take 2

  1. #31
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    I didn't bold religion. I don't see how this is any different than referring to Obama as straw hut boy. Do you not see that? Why is it different to you?
    Because "straw hut" seems to me to be designed to bring up connotations of backwards africans living in squalor, an undercurrent that runs through much of the long-standing racist thoughts and actions against black people in today's society.

    "Igloo girl" has none of the same connotations.

    You also didn't explain why this is different than shrub, ice queen, bubba, etc.

    Foremost, I'm put off by the sexist position of referring to a grown woman as a girl. Is that not "wording intended to ridicule, debase, degrade" based on gender? Is it REALLY not? What do you think the OP's intention was by calling the governor that?
    Do you get riled up when SS1 calls Bush "Bushyboy"?

    Yeah, I have a soft spot for Sarah Palin because she gets treated so viciously, & it's too acceptable. Even here. I've taken similar stands for Hillary Clinton when I felt she was unfairly demeaned based upon her gender. And I do not like Clinton's politics. I have learned that bringing this issue up results in more ridicule, so I thought I try the angle of pouncing on the igloo thing. Is that or is that not some little swipe at the people of Alaska? Or do they all live in igloos, and I just never noticed?
    You were worried that people here would ridicule you for defending Palin's gender, so you decided to take a stand against the racism of "igloo girl" instead?

    This whole argument, RightInNYC, is not about Sarah Palin any more. It's long beyond that. It's the common and all too acceptable practive of demeaning women because they are women. Do the sons of politicians face late night jokes about their sexual matters?
    If Palin had a 17 year old son who got a chick knocked up, I can guarantee you that the result would be exactly the same.

    Do the sons of politicians suffer scorn because of their looks?
    Other than Chelsea, who are you thinking of? I can't think of any famous children who have been criticized for their looks other than her.

    Their partying?
    5 seconds on teh google:

    The Smoking Gun: Archive

    The Smoking Gun: Archive

    Bush Nephew Arrested - September 16, 2005


    Sons do get criticized for plenty, just like daughters:

    TPMMuckraker | Talking Points Memo | Bob Schaffer's Son Apologizes For Obnoxious Facebook Page

    Rudy Giuliani's Son Lands In Rough In Lawsuit Against Duke University

    Why do we allow this? Yes, I am on a soapbox, and you might snicker and call me a hysterical female. I've come to the conclusion that it will always be acceptable to belittle a woman based on her gender. And I'm taking a stand. It's not OK.
    I don't think the examples you've cited do much to prove that.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #32
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    "Igloo girl" is not only demeaning to women (would you refer to Barack Obama as a boy?), it also smacks of racism against the people of Alaska. By continuing to do this, you are breaking Rule 18:




    I would like the moderators' opinion on this.
    Wow. I do not see you throwing a hissy fit about rules in reguards to racist jokes towards black folks.

    Not to mention all the hateful message towards disabled people that are thrown around on this forum all the time.

    Where is the outrage there?

    I call your post FAKE outrage.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  3. #33
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Letterman's apology was not heart felt but legacy felt. When so many demanded that he be fired the money mattered not because he makes millions a year. What he feared was being fired and thus remembered for being stupid in stead of going out with class like Johnny Carson did.
    Another thing it's not up to the as someone put it "right" to accept his fake apology, that's up to Sarah Palin and I'd recommend she handle it with class and word it to make him look bad again as I accept it.
    The Obama leftists fear Sarah Palin more than any other Republican because recent polls show she is miles ahead of the rest in popularity, and they have issued silent orders to either ignore her or do anything you can to make her look bad at every turn possible. If you look into what she's going in Alaska she makes Obama look like the inexperienced person many of knew him to be before the election.

  4. #34
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Because "straw hut" seems to me to be designed to bring up connotations of backwards africans living in squalor, an undercurrent that runs through much of the long-standing racist thoughts and actions against black people in today's society.

    "Igloo girl" has none of the same connotations.
    I'm not good at this muti quoting thing. You're gonna make me work.

    Living in an igloo is not a sign of backwards people living in squalor???? Uh huh. It was suppose to be a compliment. Gotcha.


    You also didn't explain why this is different than shrub, ice queen, bubba, etc.
    Yes I did. You must have missed the post.


    Do you get riled up when SS1 calls Bush "Bushyboy"?
    Yeah, I likely did stand up for the former president in that thread. But frankly, there's not a lot of gender bias against men, so it's not really my cause to champion. I already explained how I felt about the bush thing. Scroll up a few posts.


    You were worried that people here would ridicule you for defending Palin's gender, so you decided to take a stand against the racism of "igloo girl" instead?
    Not worried about anything. Standing up for women is something that is not often taken seriously. Yet people fall all over themselves is they think there's a hint of racism, anti-semitism ...etc. I do believe (whether you do or not) that the igloo thing is a put down based on where the Governor lives. I would like to know if anyone who lives in alaska likes people to call them igloo person. It's so obvious a put down that it's freaking stupid that I have to explain it.

    If Palin had a 17 year old son who got a chick knocked up, I can guarantee you that the result would be exactly the same.
    I've stated in the thread where you say we're all hyper partisans that I don't like the term "knocked up." I think it's disgusting. She got pregnant and made a brave choice. It's all about choice, isn't it??? So now, if a young lady makes a choice that isn't cool, she's "knocked up." Get over it. It's not 1950.

    And we really wouldn't know how many politicians' sons got caught with their pants down because ...... drumroll ..... it's not news if a man is sexually active, now is it?

    Other than Chelsea, who are you thinking of? I can't think of any famous children who have been criticized for their looks other than her.
    Oh Good God, did you even read my post?? Amy Carter? "the Bush sluts?" Any of that ring a bell to you?

    (Stepping away from politics for a second, but ALL women are judged on their looks [see my avatar]). To say otherwise, is disengenuous.

    Those are news articles (sort of), not late night jokes. Not water cooler fodder. Not anything those boys didn't rise above. (The Smoking Gun posts all salacious indictments, lawsuits ... etc. They are not political). Bill Clinton is still a national treasure, but monica lewinski is another name for BJ. Come on. If you don't see the double standards for men and women, you just don't want to see it.

    (gonna hit post now, hopefully my quote tags are done correctly. Forgive spelling please. Way past bedtime)
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    He has already "lived it down" and probably forgotten it. He has done all he can do, but it won't be enough, will it?
    No, it won't.

    Reality is, it doesn't matter which daughter he thought he was talking about. That Willow was with Governor Palin makes it even worse, but even it had been Bristol accompanying her on the trip it still would have been out of bounds.

    Hell, if it had been my kid he was joking about, I'd have gone to New York just to smack the gap out of his teeth, and I venture to say most fathers would feel the same way.

  6. #36
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Wow. I do not see you throwing a hissy fit about rules in reguards to racist jokes towards black folks.

    Not to mention all the hateful message towards disabled people that are thrown around on this forum all the time.

    Where is the outrage there?

    I call your post FAKE outrage.
    I have taken numerous stands re: the handicapped (see Obama/special olympics joke thread for one). I have taken you down several pegs for your filthy sexist remarks in the past. I call your post ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  7. #37
    Tart with a Heart
    StandUpChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    07-29-11 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,188

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    OK. I've waited a short while for a response, but it's time for old chuck to head to bed. I didn't want to post and run, but I'm toast for this evening.

    G'night sexist igloo people.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    You guys are weird.

  8. #38
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Let's be honest is there any apology from Letterman that the right would accept? I'm guessing not.
    It isn't up to the right, left or in between to accept Letterman's apology. That decision rests with the Palin family.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Remember that movie Groundhog Day?


    I'm reading this thread, and I think I'm in that movie. It's beyond deja vu... it's something else entirely...

    Jall, Rev... Help! Get me out of here!!

  10. #40
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Letterman- Apology take 2

    Quote Originally Posted by StandUpChuck View Post
    I'm not good at this muti quoting thing. You're gonna make me work.

    Living in an igloo is not a sign of backwards people living in squalor???? Uh huh. It was suppose to be a compliment. Gotcha.
    Did you miss the rest of what I said? The fact is that Alaskans have not been a target of centuries of discrimination and racism due to a perceived lack of intelligence/development. Thus, such a term is infinitely less offensive unless you're someone looking to be offended.

    Yes I did. You must have missed the post.
    I did not see that until after I posted. Regardless, it doesn't address my point. People called Bush chimpy - is that "hate speech"? No, it's idiots being idiots. Throwing fits about it doesn't make you look above the fray.

    Yeah, I likely did stand up for the former president in that thread. But frankly, there's not a lot of gender bias against men, so it's not really my cause to champion. I already explained how I felt about the bush thing. Scroll up a few posts.
    And I wouldn't care either way, so we'll just have to recognize that you tend to get offended a lot easier than I do. That doesn't mean that things you don't like are "hate speech" that should be banned.

    Not worried about anything. Standing up for women is something that is not often taken seriously. Yet people fall all over themselves is they think there's a hint of racism, anti-semitism ...etc.
    Those people are generally idiots.


    I do believe (whether you do or not) that the igloo thing is a put down based on where the Governor lives. I would like to know if anyone who lives in alaska likes people to call them igloo person. It's so obvious a put down that it's freaking stupid that I have to explain it.
    Of course it's a put-down. What it's not is "hate speech," which is what you claimed.

    I've stated in the thread where you say we're all hyper partisans that I don't like the term "knocked up." I think it's disgusting. She got pregnant and made a brave choice. It's all about choice, isn't it??? So now, if a young lady makes a choice that isn't cool, she's "knocked up." Get over it. It's not 1950.
    lol, we're supposed to celebrate idiot kids who can't wrap their **** or remember to take birth control? Nothing about what she did was "brave." If you don't think her mother's political ambitions had a role in her "decision" to keep the kid, I don't know what to tell you.

    And we really wouldn't know how many politicians' sons got caught with their pants down because ...... drumroll ..... it's not news if a man is sexually active, now is it?
    Where are you getting this ****? If a politician's son fathered a kid, it would be all over the news just like this is.

    Oh Good God, did you even read my post?? Amy Carter? "the Bush sluts?" Any of that ring a bell to you?
    Again, the fact that some girls were criticized (I'm too young for Amy Carter) doesn't mean **** unless guys in equivalent situations weren't criticized. As I pointed out, the Bush family alone resulted in tons of sons getting criticized for **** that they did. The idea that there's this wall of silence for guys is ridiculous.

    (Stepping away from politics for a second, but ALL women are judged on their looks [see my avatar]). To say otherwise, is disengenuous.
    Right, this only applies to women. Men are judged solely based on their personality and character, not on how tall/attractive/distinguished they look.

    Short dudes are treated worse than fat chicks.

    Those are news articles (sort of), not late night jokes. Not water cooler fodder. Not anything those boys didn't rise above.
    Oh yea, cause nobody ever made fun of the fact that Bush did coke/was a drunk.

    (The Smoking Gun posts all salacious indictments, lawsuits ... etc. They are not political). Bill Clinton is still a national treasure, but monica lewinski is another name for BJ.
    Because she SUCKED THE PRESIDENTS DICK IN THE OVAL OFFICE.

    That's pretty ****ing hilarious and rare.

    If a guy gives president Hillary some cunning lingus in 2013, I can guarantee you that his name will be synonymous with muff diving for generations.

    Come on. If you don't see the double standards for men and women, you just don't want to see it.
    I think it's less that I don't want to see it and more that you're busting out the electron microscope.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •