Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 199

Thread: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    How many kids have killed other HUMANS by the time they are 18? I don't approve of torturing animals needlessly, but its a drop in the bucket compared to what humans will do to other humans.
    The scary thing about this kid, it was all a secret little deal with him.

    On the surface: "No, Mrs. Jones, I haven't seen fluffy." Behind the garage...well, it was a different story.

    In that sort of practice, he was perfecting his ability to fool others about his true nature. Bundy. Part of the thrill was fooling people.

  2. #82
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Hunting shouldn't be for sport alone. All hunters should respect what they kill and have a reason for killing it. To just kill for killings sake alone is something I can't respect and wouldn't allow my son to do. If he kills a deer with a gun he is gonna damn well eat it. To just kill anything for fun and laughs is not healthy.
    When I was a kid I would hunt with a BB gun for fun. Not for laughs though. I would pretend I was a hunter stalking real prey. One time I managed to kill a sparrow. In all reality it wasn't very hard to do and nothing like real hunting. But when you are trying to have fun and all by yourself you can imagine some grand things. You feel like you accomplished something. Then you grow up and think, "Well that was pretty stupid."

    Now a days I would not step on a worm. I carefully look at the ground any time I go into the swamp around here and make sure not to hurt a slug. I hope if you catch your kid stepping on slugs you don't make them eat um.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    When I was a kid I would hunt with a BB gun for fun. Not for laughs though. I would pretend I was a hunter stalking real prey. One time I managed to kill a sparrow. In all reality it wasn't very hard to do and nothing like real hunting. But when you are trying to have fun and all by yourself you can imagine some grand things. You feel like you accomplished something. Then you grow up and think, "Well that was pretty stupid."

    Now a days I would not step on a worm. I carefully look at the ground any time I go into the swamp around here and make sure not to hurt a slug. I hope if you catch your kid stepping on slugs you don't make them eat um.
    I still like pouring salt on slugs. It's kinda cool and I don't think I will every outgrow it.

  4. #84
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I still like pouring salt on slugs. It's kinda cool and I don't think I will every outgrow it.
    I may not want to know the answer, but what does pouring salt on a slug do?

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    When I was a kid I would hunt with a BB gun for fun. Not for laughs though. I would pretend I was a hunter stalking real prey. One time I managed to kill a sparrow. In all reality it wasn't very hard to do and nothing like real hunting. But when you are trying to have fun and all by yourself you can imagine some grand things. You feel like you accomplished something. Then you grow up and think, "Well that was pretty stupid."

    Now a days I would not step on a worm. I carefully look at the ground any time I go into the swamp around here and make sure not to hurt a slug. I hope if you catch your kid stepping on slugs you don't make them eat um.
    This is why teaching your son to hunt is more involved than just teaching them to load a gun and pull a trigger. They need to be taught to respect their kill and they also need to be shamed if they take more than they need or can legitimately use.

    My daughter won't eat fish. So she's not allowed to fish. For me it's incredibly important that they learn hunting and/or fishing serves a purpose and while it may be fun, fun is not the purpose. It's a respect thing.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I may not want to know the answer, but what does pouring salt on a slug do?
    It, ultimately, kills them. It dehydrates them really fast. It's really, really neat.

  7. #87
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    This is why teaching your son to hunt is more involved than just teaching them to load a gun and pull a trigger. They need to be taught to respect their kill and they also need to be shamed if they take more than they need or can legitimately use.

    My daughter won't eat fish. So she's not allowed to fish. For me it's incredibly important that they learn hunting and/or fishing serves a purpose and while it may be fun, fun is not the purpose. It's a respect thing.
    If I had a child (and I don't think I will in this world we live in) I think I rather have them chose to grow up and think shooting a bird is OK than to pay taxes to a system that ends up getting innocent people killed by its hand, on accident every day. I think the bird would be much less grotesque then giving up a 7% "kill um appeasement payment" every time my child would buy what they desired. How can one respect life so much for animals when one kills humans with money every single day?
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    If I had a child (and I don't think I will in this world we live in) I think I rather have them chose to grow up and think shooting a bird is OK than to pay taxes to a system that ends up getting innocent people killed by its hand, on accident every day. I think the bird would be much less grotesque then giving up a 7% "kill um appeasement payment" every time my child would buy what they desired. How can one respect life so much for animals when one kills humans with money every single day?
    I'll speak to the bird. I don't care if my son kills a bird; as long as he eats it. If he kills it just to kill it we're gonna have a discussion about that.

    As to the rest it's wildly off topic so I won't go into it.

  9. #89
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I'll speak to the bird. I don't care if my son kills a bird; as long as he eats it. If he kills it just to kill it we're gonna have a discussion about that.

    As to the rest it's wildly off topic so I won't go into it.
    Well when it comes to respect one is far grosser than the other. (as to my off topic stuff)
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #90
    Advisor Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    02-04-13 @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    522

    Re: 18-year old charged in Florida cat mutilations

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Can and should a kid sport hunt? Hunting domestic animals is a kid's sport hunting if they grow up in a city.
    Take the hunting out of the equation. It is the mutilation that is of concern
    "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -Jefferson

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •