Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    For, the Obama Justice Department has quietly ordered FBI agents to read Miranda rights to high value detainees captured and held at U.S. detention facilities in Afghanistan, according a senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee. “The administration has decided to change the focus to law enforcement. Here’s the problem. You have foreign fighters who are targeting US troops today – foreign fighters who go to another country to kill Americans. We capture them…and they’re reading them their rights – Mirandizing these foreign fighters,” says Representative Mike Rogers, who recently met with military, intelligence and law enforcement officials on a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan.

    Rogers, a former FBI special agent and U.S. Army officer, says the Obama administration has not briefed Congress on the new policy. “I was a little surprised to find it taking place when I showed up because we hadn’t been briefed on it, I didn’t know about it. We’re still trying to get to the bottom of it, but it is clearly a part of this new global justice initiative.”

    That effort, which elevates the FBI and other law enforcement agencies and diminishes the role of intelligence and military officials, was described in a May 28 Los Angeles Times article.

    The FBI and Justice Department plan to significantly expand their role in global counter-terrorism operations, part of a U.S. policy shift that will replace a CIA-dominated system of clandestine detentions and interrogations with one built around transparent investigations and prosecutions.

    Under the "global justice" initiative, which has been in the works for several months, FBI agents will have a central role in overseas counter-terrorism cases. They will expand their questioning of suspects and evidence-gathering to try to ensure that criminal prosecutions are an option, officials familiar with the effort said.

    Thanks in part to the popularity of law and order television shows and movies, many Americans are familiar with the Miranda warning – so named because of the landmark 1966 Supreme Court case Miranda vs. Arizona that required police officers and other law enforcement officials to advise suspected criminals of their rights.

    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense.

    A lawyer who has worked on detainee issues for the U.S. government offers this rationale for the Obama administration’s approach. “If the US is mirandizing certain suspects in Afghanistan, they’re likely doing it to ensure that the treatment of the suspect and the collection of information is done in a manner that will ensure the suspect can be prosecuted in a US court at some point in the future.”
    The Weekly Standard






    Just starting to hit the news cycle..and forums. Breit on FOX reported it 35mins ago or so..panel discussing yada yada...anyway this is the source.


    Miranda rights are for Americans in the USA not Jihadist we're fighting a global war with.
    With the ongoing gitmo fiasco, the bush bash memo release flop, Pelosi&TheCIA, this will likely cause a crapstorm for Obama.
    Last edited by Triad; 06-10-09 at 08:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    I don't understand why on the battlefield we're allowed to shoot at these people at our discresion, but when we capture them they suddenly have the rights of American citizens.

  3. #3
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by Triad View Post
    Miranda rights are for Americans in the USA not Jihadist we're fighting a global war with.
    Wrong, Miranda rights are for anyone we plan to put on trial in an American court of law. All this is doing is making sure we've closed a potential legal loophole.

    I've heard cops complain all the time that they wished they didn't have to read a suspect Miranda because it makes them clam up. Bull****. A good interrogator is not worried about Miranda. In fact once you've read it you can rest easy knowing that closed that loophole. This means nothing, in fact it's a good thing.
    With the ongoing gitmo fiasco, the bush bash memo release flop, Pelosi&TheCIA, this will likely cause a crapstorm for Obama.
    Only if you're ignorant about what Miranda is, have no clue as to what kind of impact this won't have, and buy into this being an actual story.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #4
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I don't understand why on the battlefield we're allowed to shoot at these people at our discresion, but when we capture them they suddenly have the rights of American citizens.
    Because on the battlefield we are engaging an armed combatant who is intent on killing us.

    It's not about giving them American citizens rights. It's about addressing a potential legal challenge in advance so that it doesn't come back to haunt us later.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    U.S. Lawmaker Says Obama Ordered FBI to Read Rights to Detainees

    The move is reportedly creating chaos in the field among the CIA, FBI and military personnel, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich.

    A senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee is accusing the Obama administration of quietly ordering the FBI to start reading Miranda rights to suspected terrorists at U.S. military detention facilities in Afghanistan.

    The move is reportedly creating chaos in the field among the CIA, FBI and military personnel, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich. The soldiers especially, he says, are frustrated that giving high value detainees "Miranda rights -- the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney -- is impeding their ability to pursue intelligence on the battlefield, according to a story first reported by the Weekly Standard.
    U.S. Lawmaker Says Obama Ordered FBI to Read Rights to Detainees - Political News - FOXNews.com

  6. #6
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    You might want to edit that into your first post, so no one reads just that one and complains it is a blog as a source.

  7. #7
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    The move is reportedly creating chaos in the field among the CIA, FBI and military personnel, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich. The soldiers especially, he says, are frustrated that giving high value detainees "Miranda rights -- the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney -- is impeding their ability to pursue intelligence on the battlefield, according to a story first reported by the Weekly Standard.
    I'm calling bull****. It takes about twenty seconds to read Miranda. Miranda doesn't stop a subject from talking.

    So are they doing it to select high profile targets in the detention facilities or out in the field with everyone? Some clarification would be nice.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 06-10-09 at 08:54 PM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I'm calling bull****. It takes about twenty seconds to read Miranda. Miranda doesn't stop a subject from talking.

    So are they doing it to select high profile targets in the detention facilities or out in the field with everyone? Some clarification would be nice.
    Yeah, 1992-2000 legal "fight" against terrorist.

    That got us 911. Have some perspective.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #9
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Yeah, 1992-2000 legal "fight" against terrorist.

    That got us 911. Have some perspective.
    What are you talking about man? Your comment is absolutely without merit in this situation and completely irrelevant.

    And read some new material on 9/11 because you are way off the radar.
    *insert profound statement here*

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Miranda Rights for Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I'm calling bull****. It takes about twenty seconds to read Miranda. Miranda doesn't stop a subject from talking.
    If they're talking before you read Miranda rights, none of that stuff can be used in a court of law.

    Which is why I don't see why so many conservatives are getting upset. A terrorist could confess to something before being read his rights, and that evidence would HAVE to be suppressed in court. Miranda usually stops a subject from talking :P

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •